10+ Year Old Account

Question regarding armor in GW2.

Does anyone know if the armor style will be class-specific in GW2?

Will I be able to tell an Elementalist from a Necro or an Engineer from a Ranger just by what they are wearing?

I guess what I'm asking is, will it be like WoW where most armor can be shared within armor classes (plate/chain/leather/etc) but still have some (perhaps "high end") "tier" pieces that are class specific?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's been anything said about class specific armor, but if something like this gets in the game I wouldn't mind.

Armor is type-specific. Heavy, medium, and light armors. There are a few race specific armors though. An elementalist will be able to wear any non-other* race light armor, even if it looks like something a necromancer would wear.

Armor types by class:
    Heavy - Guardian, Warrior
    Medium - Engineer, Thief, Ranger
    Light - Elementalist, Necromancer, 8th profession

* non-other meaning that if the elementalist is a charr, he/she will be able to wear charr race specific armor, but not asuran/sylvari/human/norn
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-09-30 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    You can also hide and change how the armor looks. For example take off long sleeves.
    Really? Haven't seen anything about modifying armor like that. Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    might be alittle different then what i was trying to explain but here is the link on Guild wars 2 wiki. Not much info on it. It's at the bottom and its called " Transmutation "

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor#Customization

Pretty much you can combined the looks of another armor with a previous armor you had. I'm guessing if you liked the the sleeves you could put them on your new armor.
    Ah, if it's transmutation you're talking about, you can't choose aspects of each piece of armor and combine them into something unique looking, you use the look of one item to completely overwrite the look of another, but keep the original's stats.

Your idea would be cool, but sadly I think it's a bit too complex to implement properly for the time being.

Ah, transmutation is like the better version of Blizzard's transmogrification. You can apply the appearance of any same type* armor piece to another armor piece with an in-game item[1]. I think you can also buy them from the micro-transaction store if you don't feel like getting them in-game.

* I think it's same type. I can't remember. Someone prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-09-30 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    Ah, transmutation is like the better version of Blizzard's transmogrification. You can apply the appearance of any same type* armor piece to another armor piece with an in-game item[1]. I think you can also buy them from the micro-transaction store if you don't feel like getting them in-game.
    I cant remember the link to the interview but the devs have said that the transmutation stones will be avalible for both karma and through the IG store. You can get karma from DE's and a bunch of other actions so the only real point to paying money for them would be if you had cash to burn and wanted to change your looks alot.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally they were just going to be from the cash shop, but people complained, so they made them available for karma too.
    But since now Blizzard has stolen the idea, and is giving it away for free, the saleability of TS stones in the GW2 shop is questionable.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally wish there was just a simple appearance tab not unlike Rift. Was about the only thing I really liked about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I personally wish there was just a simple appearance tab not unlike Rift. Was about the only thing I really liked about the game.
    I much prefer an appearance tab as well. Not sure why they didn't go this route (unless they are looking for something to put in their cash shop).

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    They mentioned the ability to have a set of cosmetic "town clothes" so your wish may have already been granted!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Gear will be armor proficiency specific, however each race will have a race specific armor as well.

Mif, we have only seen the lesser transmutation stones in game, got a source about the best ones being available in-game as well? That would make me very happy.
    Level 10, 20 and 30 T stones have been found in game and are listed on the wiki, but from the video's I've watched there doesn't seem to be a karma vendor in Spark Fly Fen, and I suspect the previous high level Shatterer zone would be before T stones were decided to be purchasable for karma.

That said, Martin did say: (almost a year ago)
    You said in your blog that transmutation-stones will be available through the ingame store. Will the players be able to get them through the game?

A: Our philosophy is, that we want players to be able to get items like transmutation stones without paying with hard coin. How we will do this is still in development. We will release further information as soon as we are able to.
    So they should be available all the way to 80, just with increased karma cost.

I'll have to start paying attention to the Spark Fly Fen videos from the cons to see if anyone found a karma merchant, but I doubt it.

Also, it's worth noting that when it comes to using your HoM rewards to change the appearance of your armor, you don't need transmutation stones at all. I saw this in an interview within the last week, but I can't for the life of me find it now. Anyone else see that and have a link?

Edit: Nevermind, found a link. Wasn't an interview, was a dev post on GW2Guru. Clicky
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-10-01 at 12:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could be asked to play the original GW, I tried, but damn it is a rough game to get into.

There is one video shows dyeing of armor... U can change color "on the run".

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think it's awesome that you can dye your armor just like in GW1.

Really liking the amount of armor customization for this one. Hated how dye worked on some of the armor in GW1 (Kurzick/Luxon Warrior, I'm looking at you).
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    An old blog post on the dye system for those that haven't read it:
    http://www.arena.net/blog/live-and-l...gw2-dye-system

Quote Originally Posted by Melfeth View Post
    They'll likely do like in Aion, where you can buy certain costumes from the micro-transaction store to further customize your looks. (I'm guessing Blizzard will probably do something similar as well in the near future after 4.3.)
    Or like in GW1, which did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayth View Post
    I still think it's awesome that you can dye your armor just like in GW1.
    Yes anything that promotes customization is a very good thing. It helps get people invested into their character and helps create a more immersive experience.

Off Topic: I like your avatar