Thread: Computer desk

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Computer desk

After much trial and tribulation, I've finally convinced my parents to allow me to get a damned desk. At first my computer was on the dining room table (because we use it sparingly throughout the year) and then it has come down to being on two coffee tables in the basement. >_> All basement-dweller jokes aside, my computer does run cooler than yours down here and I get to turn the volume up on the computer much higher than I was able to in the dining room. Now with a desk I'll be able to once again be comfortable at my computer and not have to sit awkwardly anymore, because as we should all know, coffee tables were never intended for computers, especially coffee tables built by my great grandfather some 100 years ago. Also having my computer near my drumset is pretty damn convenient.

Now point of this thread other than to celebrate such great news (!It's a boy!!!lol) is to ask around for opinions on desks, as I don't know much about brands and if most are good quality or not. I notice this one: http://www.staples.com/Z-Line-Design...duct-nr_727061

And I like it, but like I said, I know not of these brands, the quality, etc etc. The glass desk look is something slick, in my opinion, and I'm wondering how firm it will be, if it can hold up. Also, how will it do in truly loud volume situations? With my drumset and a giant quadraphonic satellite stereo combined, you get some very loud and powerful vibrations going around in the basement. I'm not sure how this desk would do, anyone a bit more learned in this department around?

I'm also interested in what desks you all like, if you have pictures of your own, etc. Would like to keep the cost at around $100, or cheaper. I don't need all the extra filing things and what-not. I really just need space to have a textbook or two, a monitor (perhaps in the future a second), and a couple of my tinier speakers. The one I linked is a good starting point.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well I'm using two hollow-core desks for my desk.

One of them is split in fourths and put together in an L shape to make two supports for the uncut desk which we finished. It's really cheap and a lot of desk space. I love it and I have two computers and a bunch of stuff on it. Supports everything I've ever put on it really well. I think we made it for about 50$ a few years ago.

Get two filing cabinets and a piece of wood, there ya go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get something simple that fits the space. Mine is a simple L desk with a slide-out keyboard tray. It's ugly, but it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Well I'm using two hollow-core desks for my desk.

One of them is split in fourths and put together in an L shape to make two supports for the uncut desk which we finished. It's really cheap and a lot of desk space. I love it and I have two computers and a bunch of stuff on it. Supports everything I've ever put on it really well. I think we made it for about 50$ a few years ago.
    A picture would help me.... picture this.
    "A flower.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20111323/

Goliat from IKEA or any from the Micke Collection (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...9?pageNumber=2), if you have one near you. Personally I've been spending a lot of time looking at Staples, they have some really good desks for cheap. The ones I have been looking at are a bit more expensive, but enough room for two monitors and a printer (my requirements) without taking up a lot of space.

http://www.staples.com/Altra-Chadwic...product_918495
    http://www.staples.com/OSP-Design-Me...product_807666 (Pic, http://images.craigslist.org/3ka3o83...19481a14a5.jpg)
    http://www.staples.com/Bush-Portsmou...duct-nr_773493
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get a glass desk.. Seriously.

I got one, and I promised myself to never get one again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

image 1
    image 2

There ya go. I have another computer on the left side of the desk. You can see the right half in the first picture. In the second picture is one of the under-supports.

I fixed your images to links - please keep images under 800 px wide. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-10-03 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post

Any reason to go along with that statement? I've never had a glass desk but was looking at the same one Deltrus linked from Staples. Curious why you didn't like a glass desk
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Two biggest problems with glass desks, they get really cold in the winter, and when they are dirty, they REALLY show it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Two biggest problems with glass desks, they get really cold in the winter, and when they are dirty, they REALLY show it.
    Agreed. I love my glass corner desk (similar to the one Deltrus linked), but living up north, it gets super cold in the winter (not super cold in the summer, but still cold). You could be using a glass desk on the surface of the sun and it would still be freezing. I need to look into getting one of those XFX warpads.

I don't really have any problems with it being dirty as my girlfriend cleans like it's her job, but I could see how that could be an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I would actually prefer a colder desk. And cleaning it would not be a big issue, take my shit off, Windex, win.

I'd honestly be more worried with the extreme volume levels it will have to handle.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Now point of this thread other than to celebrate such great news (!It's a boy!!!lol) is to ask around for opinions on desks, as I don't know much about brands and if most are good quality or not. I notice this one: http://www.staples.com/Z-Line-Design...duct-nr_727061
    OMG DONT DONT DONT DONT GET THIS DESK!!!!

Im not trolling or anything because I used to have this desk years ago cuz i thought its cool and all but learned my lesson BIG time!

See that corner of the desk? the curve thingy? It HAS NO SUPPORT!!! You can't even place a 22 inches monitor on it! It will bend down....

Do yourself a favor, DON'T GET THIS DESK!

Sure get a glass desk but not this kind. Learn from my mistake...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostx View Post
    OMG DONT DONT DONT DONT GET THIS DESK!!!!

Im not trolling or anything because I used to have this desk years ago cuz i thought its cool and all but learned my lesson BIG time!

See that corner of the desk? the curve thingy? It HAS NO SUPPORT!!! You can't even place a 22 inches monitor on it! It will bend down....

Do yourself a favor, DON'T GET THIS DESK!

Sure get a glass desk but not this kind. Learn from my mistake...
    Well I would not have put a monitor there, that would be an odd position, don't you think? But thank you for the tip, I'll definitely consider that when I go shortly here.
    "A flower.

I just use a small dining room table - works great for me. let's me throw a bunch of crap on it, lots of room for my legs

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post

Agreed, glass desks look awesome, but I've never found them to be sufficiently sturdy / well built.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well I would not have put a monitor there, that would be an odd position, don't you think? But thank you for the tip, I'll definitely consider that when I go shortly here.
    agreed haha, how do you get your legs in there? xD maybe if you have multiple monitors or a tv there

Deleted
    MDF, Tools. Done =D

Seriously if you can or know someone who can make you one its seriously cheap. I have a large corner desk that's fitted to the space and must have cost me no more then £25 ($38)

10+ Year Old Account
    That staples website keeps asking me for zip codes.. I'm not from N America. >_>
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm off. I'll probably check out a bunch of them before choosing, I want it to be perfect. I'm never going back to a dining room table, the one I used to be on just got very uncomfortable in no time. And there was no room for like textbook/paper/pen. =/ And food. >_>
    "A flower.