Thread: Gpu bf3

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gpu bf3

So I am wondering what GPU(s) I should be looking at for playing BF3 in a decent matter.

Firstly off I see that GeForce 560 ti (OC or not) is cheap and looks decent.

Is it enough? Should I get two? Should I get something else?

Any feedback appreciated!

Deleted
    Should be enough, im running the beta on a 2 year old laptop GPU and runs okish. 560 would be fine imo

More then enough, i have a friend running the beta on an ATI 5870 all maxed out minus AA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh I am suprised that 560 is same and sometimes even cheaper then 460 and better performer Wish I could SLI 560 and 460 .... /cry
    -K

I've got a ATI HD 5850, and it runs really smoothly on 'High'. It seems it's been optimized extremely well for 'High' settings, which is really nice.

Deleted
    If Battlefield 3 is your main concern, I would strongly suggest going with an AMD card as they perform better overall in the beta (of course this could change, but I'm doubting that). As such, either the 6950 or the 6970 should be the primary card suggestions.

Deleted
    My nephew is playing the beta with a HD 6670 with medium setings and it runs ok, so i assume that a 560ti can handle high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any inputs on what brand I should get?
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

High and low rated PvP videos. Intention of being fun and educating (at times)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Beta is beta. Not as optimized than the full game, doesn't have max graphics available and destruction engine is highly limited.
    Recomended specification says 560gtx on the game. I have 560gtx OC version and beta works fine with all maxed.
    And didn't some dice guy say that you need like 2x 580gtx to run it on ultra or something :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hilppari View Post
    Beta is beta. Not as optimized than the full game, doesn't have max graphics available and destruction engine is highly limited.
    Recomended specification says 560gtx on the game. I have 560gtx OC version and beta works fine with all maxed.
    And didn't some dice guy say that you need like 2x 580gtx to run it on ultra or something :P
    That he did, and that you will, 580sli will be the best you can do*, and is likely aimed at 1920x1080.

I wouldn't go AMD like someone else said, I believe bf3 is a TWIMTBP, going AMD is the worst advice you could be given if you're looking for performance.

580 is running high great at 1920x1200.

*(without being silly and getting quad sli 590 or tri sli setup so close to the announcing of 6xx)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    I wouldn't go AMD like someone else said, I believe bf3 is a TWIMTBP, going AMD is the worst advice you could be given if you're looking for performance.
    Oh really? Early benchmarks form the beta suggest otherwise:

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/1...lefield-3-beta (Swedish)

It is very clear that dual 6970's perform just a tad worse than dual 580's while costing a pretty hefty chunk less.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-03 at 12:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm starting to get a little confused here...

560ti would work or I need to pay over twice the price for a 580? Also agian what brand is reccomended?
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tøffel View Post
    I'm starting to get a little confused here...

560ti would work or I need to pay over twice the price for a 580? Also agian what brand is reccomended?
    I'm running the beta with a 560 Ti and it runs well. It will not be enough to max the game out; I reckon medium/high settings will work with acceptable framerate with a single 560 Ti given some overclocking. However, if you want to have better performance than that, I would strongly suggest the 6970 as it seems to perform very well in this game.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    560ti will run it on high but not with everyting to the maxed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would this GPU be a decent upgrade from my old 4870. Upgrading the rest of the computer once new generation of CPUs. This GPU is also perfectly cheap
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tøffel View Post
    Would this GPU be a decent upgrade from my old 4870. Upgrading the rest of the computer once new generation of CPUs. This GPU is also perfectly cheap
    Yes. It would.

560ti will run it on high but not with everyting to the maxed.
    I ran it today everything at ultra 1080p (except 2x multisampling, 8x AA, and High Shadows). Didn't record FPS but feels smooth, definitely more than 30FPS. MSI 560Ti 880mhz + i52500k

I say go for 560ti, it will be fine if you don't feel like spending twice more.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-10-03 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can afford a 6970, buying one would be the logical thing to do.

If you don't wanna spend that much, look at the 6950/560 Ti.

It really depends on what you're looking to spend. As epic of a card as the 580 is, the price/performance really isn't all that great, especially in BF3 if those benchmarks are correct.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-10-03 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    I believe Nvidia have a driver package in production for the BF3 release, or at least, scheduled to release somewhere around BF3, so I'd say you're going to be fine whether you go for AMD or Nvidia, just go for what you prefer in price/performance/personal preference and I'm sure you'll be fine.

To be fair and honest BF3 is extremely eye-candy even at minimum settings (got a friend playing on that), so as long as you can play it without any obviously poor framerate it'll look good.