Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Enjoyed 7 and 9 the most.

Deleted
    X-2, X, I, II, III

the rest are pretty good, but X-2 wins it for me =)

VI>IX>IV>VII>The rest. (PS: FFXI and XIV aren't even in my book as "FF", FFXI was bad enough, but XIV? Are they TRYING to be bad?)

I go for the characters and story mostly. This is because if we compare gameplay we're not likely to find mind-boogling diferences. Now, VI has the best cast in any FF game.

Best main char (and down right best char in video game history): Terra Branford (yes I know that you can argue that Celes and Locke are also main chars, but who is in Dissidia? Right, Terra.), Best supporting cast and of course, best Vilain Kefka.

IX comes close with people like Zidane, kuja, and the whole memory/genome plot but meh... just not as good.

I'm putting IV just because of Edge and Rydia.... and it's sequel, it was my first FF and those two were awesome and the sequel, for a change, rocked.
    ´
    And I'll say it again: Sephiroth. Is.Overated.

Deleted
    7 as a whole is overrated.

a good game, yes.

the best? no.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    6,7,12 and i also liked Dissidia. I don't get why people hate 12 :S i personally enjoyed it, i think it's because too much politics was going on and no one understood it.
    For me, it wasn't a lack of understanding. I spent my whole time playing 12 waiting for it to turn into a Final Fantasy game. The scope of the game was very small in nature compared to other FF games, specifically because it focused on war and politics. A typical Final Fantasy game deals with the end of the universe or end of the world. A single war is inconsequential by comparison.

I also found the character development to be very flat. The only characters that make sense are Ash and Basch. Vaan originally joined the party to save Penelo. After saving her the only possible reason he could have for following Ash around is because Balthier is following Ash and Vaan wants to become a sky pirate. Basch follows Ash because it's his duty, I get that. Fran follows Balthier because whatever. Penelo follows Vaan because it makes sense for her to keep putting herself in danger when the point of Vaan leaving in the first place was to save her.

So really it's just everyone following Baltheir or Ash for random nonsense reasons. Ash is the only character that contributes anything useful to the story after the first parts of the game. Baltheir just sits there and breaks the fourth wall constantly. Those two are the real main characters in my eyes, Vaan is just along for the ride, but he IS the main character. Does not compute.

Then there's the combat. I'm not a fan of programming some basic retard proof actions into my characters and just watching them go to town on everything that isn't an end game boss. Then when you get to those endgame bosses where you need to actually play the game, you quickly discover if you're at least half awake that the combat has huge glaring flaws concerning how actions are handled.

All actions are assigned a priority by the game. Actions that are queued up go off in order of priority, not the order in which they were issued. This is the priority! Boss ultimate abilities > player ultimate abilities > auto attacks > boss abilities > player abilities. What this means, is that if a boss decides to spam spells or other abilities, you can't do anything but auto attack and use quickenings. Your offensive spells will have their cast bar full, and make take as long as 5 to 10 minutes to go off if the boss feels like screwing you. This makes the magic stat functionally useless because all healing late game is done with renew, a spell that heals you to full. Since attacking spells are useless, and healing doesn't require magic, there is no reason to have a magic stat. The physical attack stat also becomes useless after a certain point. As long as you're over level 50 or so, you will always hit the damage limit with the masamune if you have berserk and bravery up, which you should have up all the time or you're doing it wrong. That leaves HP, defense, and speed as useful stats.

HP is useless after about level 70 because as soon as you get 5k HP you're functionally capped due to the bubble effect. Extra speed is also useless because berserk and haste alone almost hard cap you on how fast you can attack. The only "useful" stat is defense. And the difference between 70 and 99 is only 2-5 points, depending on character. And the total defense gained from leveling is about half the defense your armor will provide you with, which is less damage reduction than you get from keeping protect and shell up. So the difference between 70 and 99 isn't even noticeable for any of your stats, heavily devaluing character levels because of how powerful your buffs and gear are.

So at end game, the combat system and character building is a train wreck. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to hate on you, you can like whatever game you want. But please don't assume people disliking 12 is the result of ignorance. There are plenty of legitimate reasons concerning story, style, and gameplay, to dislike 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinera View Post
    Final Fantasy 7 has been, and always will be the best Final Fantasy game ever made. Haters will be haters.
    In your opinion, you know, people have different opinions on things. I think FF7 is the most overrated video game in history.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    FFX is by far the best Final Fantasy game.

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    7 and 9 were my favourites, but 7 has to be the best. Well done plot and story. Game itself was huge with plenty to do, and I really liked 7's materia combat system for magic.
    7 is so incredibly overrated, it takes so much of the awesomeness away from 6 and 9 which were both arguably much better. 7 had so few characters i cared about, cool aeris cloud and sephiroth was it, 9 and 6 were full of characters i loved and storylines that were pretty awesome to boot.

6 (3 in US) and then 7.
    FF6 was amazing and still fun. FF7 was impressive for a long time, but 3 had the better story and gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite Final Fantasy game was Kingdom Hearts

10+ Year Old Account
    7 followed close by 4&6 (2&3 SNES) FF2 on SNES was my first RPG. back then casting float had use outside of combat! :-)

Fond memory of FF3(6) First time I played I did not know what Life 3 did so I could not beat The Magi Master on the top of the Fanatics tower. So I decided to level my party in the dinosaur forest until I was strong enough to survive his Ultima at the end. Lol I ended the battle with one man standing.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2011-10-03 at 11:31 PM.

VI had the best story, V had the best system, IX had the best cast, XII had the best setting, countless hours of sidequests(which is a good thing), and the most kickass battle system of all...'Cept they overdid it(Due to Development Hell) and the game plays itself.
    Overall, I'd say X=XII>IX>VI=V. As in which I'd like to see remade, VI>V>VII>IX. I'm against X's HD version.
    Edit: I forgot to mention FFXII was freaking beautiful.
    Last edited by Valenhil; 2011-10-04 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    VI is the best, with IX and IV coming in close. Those were the ones I enjoyed the most.

12 made all the rest of them look just a little worse to me. The Gambit system should have been in every FF afterwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    7 is so incredibly overrated, it takes so much of the awesomeness away from 6 and 9 which were both arguably much better. 7 had so few characters i cared about, cool aeris cloud and sephiroth was it, 9 and 6 were full of characters i loved and storylines that were pretty awesome to boot.
    Your welcome to your own opinion, just as I am. I think of FF7 as the best there ever was. The combat system was completely flexible, meaning you could effectively have say, Barrett as a caster with Aeris meleeing (yes they have base stats, but the ability to choose as you wanted plus the depth introduced with all the materia and materia combo's really makes this system shine above the rest for me).

The story was in my opinion, amazingly done, as was the character development (Barrett and the town of Corel/Golden Saucer, Yuffie and the west coast). I've played many of the games and cannot say i've found any of them to have the character and plot development that 7 did.

You may think it's overrated and that's fine, but it's my favourite and that's all I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    6-10 were all just fucking awesome. I'd say storyline wise, 6 and 7 are tied, with 10 being right behind those, then 8, then 9. I haven't finished 11 or 13.

Deleted
    Can't believe 5 has been shown no love . Serious note 10 -> 7 -> 5 -> 9 = 8, the rest are all good too bar 10-2 and 13. Can't believe someone above me put 10-2 as their fave, i'm sure that game was made for the ff revolution to appeal to girls and it just miserabley failed at being anywhere near as good as any other part of the franchise.
    But seriously i can't believe that 5 has been so overlooked, for the time it was released it had so much gameplay and was so far above any other game on the market. The only problem was that it had 3 worlds and all of them somewhat lacked in epic size somewhat.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 > 4 > 13 > 5 > 7

Wonderful Ysera set by Aderianu of AHS

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics and the remake for PSP then iPad. One of my favorite games of all time.

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 12:53 AM ----------

Best one by far... :<
    You can always count on some idiot to post the damn laugh scene. Bad voice acting aside, that's a forced laugh that worked very well in the context.