This is why WOW is king of the MMO's

So after reading so much positive hype about Eve Online I tried out the game . Now I tried like hell ...all my skills to get through the beginner tutorials and all I cann say is this game is made by 3rd world hack/cracked out progamers/designers who have no clue how to make a real game . After playing Eve online I appreciate how awesome and friendly wow is .

Eve Online has a broken interface ...Eve Online is so so so so unfriendly to new users .. and if you do even one step wrong in an agent mission you might as well delete your character and start over because your totally fucked . How this game gets so much hype is beyond me because its total shit . WOW is polished ...simple for beginners and get as complicated as you like in the end game

You went from a game with one of the easiest learning curves in MMO's (WoW), to a game with pretty much the single hardest learning curve of any MMO (Eve Online). It's not a bad game, it's just a game for a very specific group of people who are rabid fans. And I'm sorry, but the "End game" for WoW isn't horribly complicated, it's actually extremely straightforward.

Basically, different games appeal to different people.

So comparing Themepark MMO (WoW) to the only real Sandbox MMO around(EVE Online), and as Edgecrusher said EVE looks something like this

15+ Year Old Account
    I have played EVE Online long before WoW came to be.

It was a very hard game back then and it punished you hard. But the game had an element which MMOs commonly had at that point: Risk versus reward. That also includes the fact that in EVE your only safe zone is the station you are docked in and when you are logged out. WoW doesn't have that one so the experience might be quite brutal
    On the other hand because of that people with similar goals as yours are often as helpful which makes it easier to survive and more fun in general.

I have been checking EVE out a couple of months ago, I feel alot of things have been improved such as that you could finally jump on top of a gate instead of taking on a risky 15 km travel towards the gate with high chances of getting intercepted by local rangers. Oh and I have lost cockzillion of ISKs there myself.

But I see where you are coming from, yes, it is nothing like WoW but it isn't aimed at the same audience anyway. Playing EVE means you plan for a long timespan. There is no endgame, there is no levelling goal, there is little to no guidance, all is up to you and you only. That means: All is up to your levels of dedication and ambition - and trust me it's not your average level of WoW ambitions here - it pales in comparison in WoW once you are deep into business there.

Haha, been awhile since I saw that image. I love it.

Very, very different games.
    Wow is "king" because if you want more subscribers, catering to casual is right.
    EVE doesn't cater. It tests your balls. If you are good, you can do awesome things in it.

Even beginning to compare WoW to Eve Online in anyway is pretty absurd. Such drastically different games.
    Last edited by achaeon; 2011-10-04 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    I laughed at the "WoW is polished" part

Also, I've seen that image above redone with Dwarf Fortress instead of EVE.

I find that the reverse also fits:
    (Left can be normal mode wow, middle can be hardmode wow )
    Last edited by Weerra; 2011-10-04 at 11:18 AM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeasaurus View Post
    I laughed at the "WoW is polished" part
    May i ask why? it definitely is.

A very different thing is it's difficulty,well, if we can even call it that way

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by weerra View Post
    also, i've seen that image above redone with dwarf fortress instead of eve.

I find that the reverse also fits:
    (left can be normal mode wow, middle can be hardmode wow :d)

epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted
    Eve is more of an MMO than WOW will ever be. Battles involving 1000's of people for regions of space and all the politics that come with that, a real economy and the buzz you get from PVP is second to none.

I put almost my whole net worth into 1 ship (Yeah I know the first and second rules in Eve are "Don't lose what you can't afford") and took part in a mid sized fleet engagement (approx 25-30 of us vs 50 reds), I was physically shaking and couldn't sleep that night because if I had lost.... it was months of playing the game and earning isk down the drain. WOW just cannot offer that kind of rush, even killing an end raid boss for the first time is nothing compared to it.

Most WOW players wouldn't want to feel that level of stress while playing a game. That's why Eve isn't that popular.