Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

Oh, Tom's Hardware...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/V3-...ITX,13625.html

If you ever needed a good reason as to why it's rapidly declining as a reliable tech site...
    red panda red panda red panda!

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    We always got random forums to get useful information in

I don't see whats wrong with the article in question. I know that PSU's being on the bottom of a case is not new, but it is finally becoming mainstream. THe article does not state that this is a brand new technology breakthrough, rather it quotes the company that makes the cases as being bold.
    Last edited by kremblin89; 2011-10-06 at 06:27 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the release of the V3 BlacX Edition mid-tower chassis, Thermaltake is daring to be different by placing the power supply mount at the bottom. The case is suitable for all ATX or ITX motherboards along with three 5.25-inch and one 3.5-inch bays accessible from the front, and four additional 3.5-inch and one 2.5-inch bays accessible from the inside.
    That's what jumped out at me.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by kremblin89 View Post
    I don't see whats wrong with the article in question. I know that PSU's being on the bottom of a case is not new, but it is finally becoming mainstream. THe article does not state that this is a brand new technology breakthrough, rather it quotes the company that makes the cases.
    It makes a big deal about bottom mounted PSU and top mounted exhaust fans, which are not new at all

OK so yes they make a big deal out of it, thats what media does, it takes something minor and blows it out of proportion to sell it.

Sure looks daring to me *rolls eyes*
    01001000 01101001 00100001

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people don't get it lol. It's like TT is revolutionizing the PC Case, when in actually competent Gaming case manufacturers have been doing this for years already... Go Tom's!

They are just pushing a product they probably got endorsed to push. Hardocp, arstechnica, anandtech are all guilty of the same thing. Their forums are where all the good information is

The OP's point is that Tom's Hardware, which for years was a good source of reliable, accurate, up-to-the minute information on all things computer, is now running advertisements disguised as articles. The Thermaltake V3 has been out for >18 months, so it's not new, and what makes the BlacX edition different is the addition of the hard drive hot swap dock on the top, which the article barely even mentions, and not until the last paragraph. Instead it spends three paragraphs describing why Thermaltake "dares to be different" by putting the PSU at the bottom of the case.

So not only is a puff-piece advertisement, it's poorly written and doesn't even highlight the thing that makes the new BlacX edition different.

Quote Originally Posted by fumunda View Post
    They are just pushing a product they probably got endorsed to push. Hardocp, arstechnica, anandtech are all guilty of the same thing. Their forums are where all the good information is
    Exactly, its like how that new racing game got a guy from top gear to do a commercial for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I read:
    source: Thermaltake
    I laughed.
    Big deal? No.
    Big seller? Probably.
    Big revolution in case design? Not likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/V3-...ITX,13625.html

If you ever needed a good reason as to why it's rapidly declining as a reliable tech site...
    I USED to be a huge fan of toms. about err..fuck around 10 years ago you can tell he was on teh take. his reviews didn't match ANY others anywhere. you point that out you were banned from the place. i don't even check it anymore.

i usually hit anandtech and newegg (some good reviewers)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kremblin89 View Post
    OK so yes they make a big deal out of it, thats what media does, it takes something minor and blows it out of proportion to sell it.
    Let me rephrase that. The media makes a big deal out of it to built hype and sell a product. Forum trolls like the op and a majority of whom posted make crap threads like this and post little or no point of argument in order to well just be a troll. The article is just a review of a slightly revamped case that isn't even on the market yet. The only upgrades I see over the standered version are USB 3.0 front ports and a HDD docking station. I think he just didn't have much to add to the story as the case really doesn't have anything that makes it spectacular or different from the slew of other $50 cases out.

<Don't call other users trolls; report them instead.>
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-07 at 11:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what jumped out at me seemed to be that they thought the bottom of the motherboard was obscured by the psu in other cases?

and that cases with bottom mounting psu hadn't ever thought that the optical drives may poke out and ostruct the .. ram? power cable? (not like there's much else at that end anyway, even if it were obstructed)

it sounds like an article that should have been written a long time ago when bottom mounting psu was rare and badly done

you know what that case reminds me of .. MINE

coolermaster 912+

fans on top, lower front (200mm), back, psu on bottom, drive days look very similar, wow, really revolutionary design

edit: 912 doesn't bottom mount a fan, they have the ssd drive bay (optional) located there, think the 922 might allow a fan though)
    Last edited by Rixis; 2011-10-07 at 06:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    oh no, how dare he get paid by a company to exaggerate how new and innovative a product is...how about every single movie that comes out being the "#1 movie of the year", same thing....get over it.

Heh, I've been using my beloved Antec 900 case for years with this exact configuration. How 'innovative.' :P

Love dis case. There's something charming about a top-mounted fan so huge you're afraid that the computer is going to take off whenever you turn it on.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-10-07 at 07:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, as long as they're willing to acknowledge that they're not providing unbiased reviews and opinions on products, and only blatantly advertising it for the payment, sure

but if people are using these reviews websites to get unbiased reviews .. well, though shit eh

(advertising companies =/= independant news/reviews outlets, advertising companies job is to do just that)

With the release of this latest addition to the Thermaltake V series family, the V3 BlacX Edition mid-tower chassis, the company is daring to be different by placing the power supply mount at the bottom. This isn't unusual or anything new, as cases with bottom-based PSU mounts have been available for years, but it's still refreshing to see something seemingly out of the ordinary.
    Did they just edit that in?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Did they just edit that in?
    I think they may have, heh. Is a bottom-mounted PSU seriously that unusual? Just seems like... common sense to me.