Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Password on a G-button (logitech g19 keyboard)

Hello

I have different passwords macroed to my g-buttons, is this better from a security perspective, (still have an authenticator to wow) or will this make it easier for hackers to sniff it?

I was thinking about keyloggers won't record any keypressing except me pressing G17 for example.

Very interesting. How long have you been doing this?

Deleted
    Keyloggers in the conventional way wouldn't work, no.

What might work would be something that just reads through all your macros, don't know if there is such a thing, because there probably aren't too many people that store passwords in there.. and let's face it, it doesn't really tell them what it's for unless they use a keylogger together with something that catches what program you use it in AND has caught your password from the macro... although there are absolutely people that would go to such ridiculous lengths *sigh*

A sophisticated keylogger doesn't just read keys it reads every input. Seeing how the g button is a macro button and therefore simply gives multiple inputs to wow they'll be able to read it. It's the same reason why CTRL+C - CTRL+V won't work either.

Also, Authenticators are nearly bullet proof, I wouldn't worry too much about your password in such a manner, although simply putting it on a macro button is definitely a lot faster. ;D

Great idea until you clip the key by accident and post it to trade chat
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosford View Post
    Very interesting. How long have you been doing this?
    I found out that like 3 weeks after I got the keyboard, which is hmm, 1½ years ago or something. It's really helpful, But at first I pressed the wrong key on the wrong site = fail

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Smurflord View Post
    As it never presses enter I will never post it by accident, unless i'm drunk or something. But they will still need my username and authenticator.

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrin View Post
    Keyloggers in the conventional way wouldn't work, no.

What might work would be something that just reads through all your macros, don't know if there is such a thing, because there probably aren't too many people that store passwords in there.. and let's face it, it doesn't really tell them what it's for unless they use a keylogger together with something that catches what program you use it in AND has caught your password from the macro... although there are absolutely people that would go to such ridiculous lengths *sigh*
    Yeah I see your point, but I don't think people does that kind of keyloggers as "normal" users don't use this method, so why bother?

Deleted
    This, oh so this. Dont put it on a non-modifier button. if you really want to macro it, put it on like right shift-; or something. Something your never going to press by accident, because moment you do thats gonna cause a headache.

I used to do that until I pressed it by accident into guild chat xD
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    A sophisticated keylogger doesn't just read keys it reads every input. Seeing how the g button is a macro button and therefore simply gives multiple inputs to wow they'll be able to read it. It's the same reason why CTRL+C - CTRL+V won't work either.

Also, Authenticators are nearly bullet proof, I wouldn't worry too much about your password in such a manner, although simply putting it on a macro button is definitely a lot faster. ;D

Yeah so i've noticed, never been hacked since I got it. Except for a friendly touch to bank all my items on all my chars while I was asleep. Sweating like a pig when I logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohle View Post
    unless i'm drunk or something.
    Well there you go
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

Deleted
    awsome :O got the keyboard for over 6 months and never thought of this. will try when i get home

Quote Originally Posted by Kohle View Post
    Hello

I have different passwords macroed to my g-buttons, is this better from a security perspective, (still have an authenticator to wow) or will this make it easier for hackers to sniff it?

I was thinking about keyloggers won't record any keypressing except me pressing G17 for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    is not the problem that if someone gets into your system, the "macro" is basically stored as plain text in the software? this would be akin to having all your passwords in a notepad i'd have thought

(just throwing this out there just incase)

Deleted
    It depends on the keylogger.

Is it oldskool and does it litterly READ your keys (mah keys!), or does it loot at the input in a field (making copy/pasting etc useless). I think nearly all new ones work by looking at field inputs, so it doesn't matter how you put it in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    is not the problem that if someone gets into your system, the "macro" is basically stored as plain text in the software? this would be akin to having all your passwords in a notepad i'd have thought

(just throwing this out there just incase)
    As I don't call them anything, (f e: my wow password has the name macro 22) which is kinda hard to figure out if you are not aware what 22 is. (key: w is below 2 = WoW = WW = 22)

Does anyone know a keylogger that registers anything other than your key pressing?

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 01:03 PM ----------

Well there you go
    I don't ever play when i'm drunk.

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pufyanny View Post
    awsome :O got the keyboard for over 6 months and never thought of this. will try when i get home
    Just create a new macro, then record while your write your password

Keyloggers usually only stem from bad stuff, methought. What's a common way a keylogger is put on a computer?
    I just got a G110 and the GKeys are nice, just started using them for macros. I don't know if this is necessary though. I understand a keylogger, in theory, could come from 'anything', but what's a more conventional way regarding WoW it would appear? I did get hacked once, but I believe it was because a site I used the same e-mail/pw was hacked or something.

As per OP, I think you got your answer. Depends on the savy of the keylogger in question. IDK why people go to great lengths to be jerks, don't they just track where the equipment goes anyway if someone is hacked?

while key press keyloggers do exist, they're not the most common form of loggers anymore. most current keyloggers don't read actual keystrokes but instead the text input. so if you macro password123 to a key it would appear the same as if you had typed password123. The same goes for copying and pasting your password in. Also soft keyboards do pretty much the exact same thing. The authenticator is your best line of security. Outside of that, change your passwords frequently (email, bnet, etc). And you should be fine.

Also to be completely honest, while getting hacked is annoying Blizzard is the most responsive of all the mmo's I've played in this regard. I was hacked in wow 2 years ago. Was able to get access to my account within an hour and within a day all of my gear/gold was in my mailbox from a gm. Compared to other games like ffxi where I've known friends to be waiting months to get their accounts back.

I want the same thing! Can I make a macro with my MX3200 keyboard? ^^

Deleted
    You are ofcourse aware that said "macro" still types out the paswword? It merely records keystrokes and then replicates said keystrokes with the press of a single button.
    You just made it faster for the keyloggers, they dont have to wait for you to type out your pass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Also to be completely honest, while getting hacked is annoying Blizzard is the most responsive of all the mmo's I've played in this regard. I was hacked in wow 2 years ago. Was able to get access to my account within an hour and within a day all of my gear/gold was in my mailbox from a gm. Compared to other games like ffxi where I've known friends to be waiting months to get their accounts back.
    Ah yes, Square Enix. Where they'd refuse whatsoever to assist with claiming your account back, or even cancelling your subscription. Only way for many was to issue chargebacks. As I recall, that pissed off credit card companies.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-07 at 01:39 PM.

I trust the Authenticator so much that I will write my wow password here: 321brbqwe

Also you write that you have your passwords as macroes, this kinda imply that you use the same password for multiple things. This is very very bad. A lot of webpages don't even encrypt their password database, a bit of clever usage of database access from some sort of admin and he would have access to some of your other logins.

Worst is the people who use the same password for random pages as they use for their, lets say Gmail account. That is just asking for trouble, you supplied both the email address and the password for it to that page and its admins.

I bet that perhaps 10% of the users here on MMO champ use the same password for their account here as they use ingame. I'm not implying that the admins of this page is corrupt but it gives you something to think about. Especially when people get their account hacked (those without authenticator) and wonder how it happen. Often its plain stupidity like this that lies behind it by them submitting the data to some random fan or guild webpage, and not some keylogger infection.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-10-07 at 02:01 PM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake