Question Hard Drive question

What do you think of using a Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB as your primary drive in your computer?

Yes, I know its normally a laptop hard drive but with the proper mount I can't see any real issues and people seem to like them.

Would probably be better off using a Spinpoint f3 as the primary drive and just getting a 30-64gb ssd for SRT. Would give you ssd speeds on a lot more applications vs the meager 4gb cache on the Momentus.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Would probably be better off using a Spinpoint f3 as the primary drive and just getting a 30-64gb ssd for SRT. Would give you ssd speeds on a lot more applications vs the meager 4gb cache on the Momentus.
    Good point but I normally don't like have split hard drives in a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Serialnerd View Post
    Good point but I normally don't like have split hard drives in a system.
    What do you mean split hard drives?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What do you mean split hard drives?
    OS on one HD, data on another. I just don't like doing that...more for personal reasons then any thing else. I think that is what you are referring to with SRT.

OS on one HD, data on another. I just don't like doing that...more for personal reasons then any thing else. I think that is what you are referring to with SRT.
    He meant using the SSD as a cache device, to increase the speed of the system drive. You don't actually store anything on it, the OS handles it automatically.

Using SRT works exactly like the hybrid drive, you just get a much bigger cache.
    You install everything on the HDD and it uses the ssd (up to 64gb) as a cache, the same way the hybrid drive uses its 4gb ssd as a cache.
    You need a z68 motherboard for SRT though.

Using SRT works exactly like the hybrid drive, you just get a much bigger cache.
    You install everything on the HDD and it uses the ssd (up to 64gb) as a cache, the same way the hybrid drive uses its 4gb ssd as a cache.
    You need a z68 motherboard for SRT though.
    I see what you mean now. A 64gb ssd will cost me over $100, even a 32gb will cost me about $70. Then I'd have to purchase a hard drive for $50 to $100...at that point I just might as well get a 120gb ssd for under $200.

Its a good idea but the cost does not justify it as I see it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I see what you mean now. A 64gb ssd will cost me over $100, even a 32gb will cost me about $70. Then I'd have to purchase a hard drive for $50 to $100...at that point I just might as well get a 120gb ssd for under $200.

Its a good idea but the cost does not justify it as I see it.
    Depends what you are storing on the SSD. You can fill up a 64GB SSD pretty easily with WoW, Windows 7, and any other games. Doesn't leave you with a lot of room as far as media storage goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Depends what you are storing on the SSD. You can fill up a 64GB SSD pretty easily with WoW, Windows 7, and any other games. Doesn't leave you with a lot of room as far as media storage goes.
    It would fill up fast. But I would not get a 64gb, I would get a 120gb min and use my current HD as storage/backup.

It would fill up fast. But I would not get a 64gb, I would get a 120gb min and use my current HD as storage/backup.
    What is your current hdd?
    You might be able to use that with SRT if it's decent.

What is your current hdd?
    You might be able to use that with SRT if it's decent.
    I thought of that after I read your post but It's about 5 years old now and it's just time for a upgrade.