10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a new monitor

Hello all,
    My secondary monitor is starting to go, a few dead pixels and the colors are starting to fade, sometimes it just shuts on and off randomly for no reason, etc etc. I am looking for a decent monitor, between 21.5" and 25" for around $150. I unfortunately don't have any electronics stores close to me to go and look at monitors so I am looking to order something online, thanks!

Using a ViewSonic VX2433wm and I'm very happy with it. It's a 1080p 24" widescreen monitor that was like $120 when I got it on sale.

They don't seem to still be selling them but whatever you choose, get one with 1080p so you can play games at 1920x1080, and watch movies\youtube in widescreen with no black bars.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Newegg can be pretty good too if you find one you are looking for there is generally a lot of feedback on the products. So even if you do end up traveling to a store maybe check that site out and see what people say?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just bought this one from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824262011 for $99 free shipping!

Just got a new monitor myself. My old 22" finally crapped out, so I wanted a replacement for around the same price, which was $150 (a steal for when I got it). After a couple hours of looking at Tigerdirect and Newegg, I came across the AOC LE24H067 for $150 on Tigerdirect (normal price is apparently around $290). It's an LED-backlit LCD, full HD (1920x1080), 24" (technically, 23.6") TV. I've got my PC hooked up through one of the HDMI slots. It was especially attractive because I've been wanting to hook up my other consoles to my monitor for a while because my desk is more comfortable than sitting at the edge of my bed, staring at my standard def TV. So it's got all the inputs for my other stuff as well. Have my Wii plugged in via Component, my Xbox 360 through VGA, and my PS2 through composite inputs. I'll probably eventually run a coaxial splitter over to it, but honestly, the only time I watch TV is when I'm falling asleep, so my old SD TV does that just fine.

The picture is great, the colors are vibrant, the contrast is fantastic. So far I've been really pleased with it. The sound isn't so hot, but most built in speakers aren't. I've got everything running into my desk speakers.

It's a great buy, serves multiple purposes, and it may still be on a ridonculous sale.

It's only 60Hz refresh rate, so if you're a super-hardcore-enthusiast PC gamer with a rig that runs things at higher framerates, you may want to look for a 120Hz monitor instead. But I've been very happy with this display so far.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2011-10-08 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Fixed price, added link, and yes, it's still on sale!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pvpKILLSwow View Post
    Newegg can be pretty good too if you find one you are looking for there is generally a lot of feedback on the products. So even if you do end up traveling to a store maybe check that site out and see what people say?
    Yeah, I've been browsing newegg and amazon trying to kind of get some ideas, but I just want to get as much input as I can as I am a poor college student XD

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous
    Using a ViewSonic VX2433wm and I'm very happy with it. It's a 1080p 24" widescreen monitor that was like $120 when I got it on sale.
    I have the 45 model of this currently and for me the colors are not as crisp as I'd like them, and the monitor feels kind of dark in general (I've toyed with the setting for hours, to no avail :\ )

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne
    It's a great buy, serves multiple purposes, and it may still be on a ridonculous sale.
    It's sold out Looks like a great set though.
    Last edited by jries; 2011-10-08 at 01:34 AM.

A bit narrow budget, perhaps, if you are looking for 'crisp colours'. If you were to up the budget to USD200.00, many of the American online-shops rotate sales on the DELL UltraSharp U2311H.

If not, any generic 1080p TN-panel would do. The BenQ G2420(insert either HDB/HDBL/HDBE) are rather non-horrible. As far as TNs go. They go for about 189USD in Sweden, so they should be availible for around 130USD tops in the US, if the price-ratio for electronics is true for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jries View Post
    It's sold out Looks like a great set though.
    Damn shame. I guess I hit it pretty lucky with the timing of my old monitor crapping out and finding the deal when I did. Loving the set. Regardless, you can still find a decent bit of 1080p monitors around for your price, though you may have to resign yourself to a 22" (21.5") display. Try and go for an LED backlit LCD if you can. Everything pops compared to my old monitor. The contrast ratio on LED displays is just amazing compared to standard LCDs. Not quite up to par with Plasmas, from what I have read, but I can't say one way or the other because I've never actually seen a Plasma display in person.

Honestly, the only reason why the normal price on the display I got was so high is probably because it's technically a TV. If you're just looking for a monitor, there's plenty to choose from in your price bracket.

Check compusa for monitors always better pricing for some reason. Also look for sub 5ms response time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ognomad View Post
    I just bought this one from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824262011 for $99 free shipping!
    Ended up going with this, gorgeous set (compared) for the price, thanks!