Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    Why bother posting if unconstructive?
    OP, i would take it to an expert at an electronics store, they can probably identify and fix the problem for you
    I would be careful here. I am sure there are a lot of good computer repair stores, but there are also a lot of bad ones. I was speaking to a client who had tried to get her home PC fixed on the cheap, turned out they had setup a secondary windows Vista partition which they didn't properly remove once they had "fixed it"

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ValiumMm View Post
    Yer, I dont think its a virus or malware. If you cannot load Windows properly, something is probably corrupt, which is not allowing to load. this could have been caused by anything tbh.
    I suggest finding a Windows Disc or repair disc that came with the machine and try repairing windows first. This should make you log into windows.

the other possibility is hardware fault, but first try repair it and see how you go. I wouldnt reformat it yet, ppl above dont know what they are talking about.
    No.

Lots of malware can damage system files both before and after you have attempted to remove it.

Why exactly would a hardware fault cause a fake system scanner to launch on boot?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    And you'll also risk infecting that computer as well .

I'm personally skeptical about OP even having a virus. Just seems pretty shady to me, "family member used a computer and downloaded a virus", yeah right, would probably help asking them first what they actually did? And to all people suggesting fixes within windows, as I understood it, the OP isn't even getting inside windows at the moment. Are you getting the window that has "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" and "Start windows normally" options when you boot up? Might be a hardware failure instead of virus.
    highly unlikely. viruses seldom activate on their own. especially if they are on a secondary drive that is not the boot drive.

i clean peoples' HDs as a side job and i have NEVER had an issue with this in the 4 years i've been doing it in this fashion.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Visit this thread and go through the steps. Chances are by following the detailed guide in the thread you will be able to clean off the virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetacheese View Post
    Control Panel >> Recovery
    It should be self-explanatory from there.
    He said that he can't access even his desktop, so he can't reach the Control Panel.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    No.

Lots of malware can damage system files both before and after you have attempted to remove it.

Why exactly would a hardware fault cause a fake system scanner to launch on boot?
    Fake system scanner? I was under the impression that he was getting the regular startup repair, which could be caused by harddrive failure, virus or corrupted boot files (caused by either of the first two). On the other hand, what do I know, I'm just blindly guessing here since all the other options sounded silly.

I would suggest asking whoever used your computer last what they did, and what happened when the virus got downloaded. It would narrow down what happened.

Regarding taking your computer to a shop, I wouldn't recommend it. They're human; they make mistakes, and I'd rather not pay for something when I could just reformat the PC for free. Especially since you've stated that you don't have any important files, only games.

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    I would be careful here. I am sure there are a lot of good computer repair stores, but there are also a lot of bad ones. I was speaking to a client who had tried to get her home PC fixed on the cheap, turned out they had setup a secondary windows Vista partition which they didn't properly remove once they had "fixed it"

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 12:41 AM ----------

No.

who said fake system scanner, on windows 7 now if something happens it boots into this repair thing, which really doesnt work at all.
    Faulty ram can cause system to not boot, was just a 2nd thought after software.

majority of malware and viruses etc, are there to try steal information or make money out of it, not try and fault the system. ofcourse it doesnt apply to all.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for alot of comments, I've asked my brother and he told me that he was downloading something when it suddenly turned the PC off. I tried to put in the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit CD but it seems like it's not accepting any cds, it's just taking the CD out again. To some of the replies above, I think it's a fake searcher thing, I mean the login screen seems to be different now after that, looks more like windows vista booting screen than a windows 7.

I don't know what to do Hopeless, I just can't believe it that someone really managed to fuck it up.. -.-. It's something wierd, I have two disks, one SSD and one HDD. I'm using the SSD as primary with windows and everything on.

Anyway, all he said was that he was downloading some software which made the computer turn off and bam, pwned.