Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I know a few people who got invites, sadly I wasn't one of them.

They indicated that this Oceanic testing period would help them determine when Swtor will be released in these zones. It's entirely feasible, that if this testing period confirms that everything can run fine with a California based server, then we might be included in the NA release schedule and get a similar deal to what we've been used to with Wow / Aoc / Rift etc. This, however, will not be good news for people that may have hoped for a server physically based in Aus.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I know a few people who got invites, sadly I wasn't one of them.

They indicated that this Oceanic testing period would help them determine when Swtor will be released in these zones. It's entirely feasible, that if this testing period confirms that everything can run fine with a California based server, then we might be included in the NA release schedule and get a similar deal to what we've been used to with Wow / Aoc / Rift etc. This, however, will not be good news for people that may have hoped for a server physically based in Aus.
    I think people lost hope in physical MMO servers in Aus after years or Blizzard saying no. They are not cheap to maintain.

The lag may not be that horrible, so we best not jump the gun here. The ability queuing may make it much less noticeable. I think the 400-600ms issue was WoW specific (something to do with how the client interacted with the servers) as I managed to get 250-300ms (If I remember correctly) without tunneling services when I was trying out RIFT, which surprised me. Not amazingly different, but definitely noticeable.

The reason for the wait is most likely they want to give you guys a server so you don't have to deal with 500+ lat
    Every country has there laws to be worked around, give it time i'm 99.9% sure it's coming to the land down under.

Quote Originally Posted by warjin View Post
    The reason for the wait is most likely they want to give you guys a server so you don't have to deal with 500+ lat
    Every country has there laws to be worked around, give it time i'm 99.9% sure it's coming to the land down under.
    Pretty sure they won't and we'll be playing on American servers any way. Just look at WoW. Oceanic servers aren't oceanic. They're based in California where the SW:TOR ones will be.

It's more of a case of. Oh? There's Australian gamers? I guess we at BioWare forgot. Well... this is awkward... GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Azure P View Post

It's more of a case of. Oh? There's Australian gamers? I guess we at BioWare forgot. Well... this is awkward... GOOD LUCK!
    Not really. It's a case of "let's not crash the servers by opening the gates to every single person on the planet at the same time." People seem to think Bioware is being racist though.

I contacted my gaming VPN and they'll be supporting/making new servers wherever swtor servers are located. Stop being butthurt about no official Aus launch. Just buy a copy and wait for oceanic servers like the rest of us non EU/NA. In China I had to buy a web VPN just so I can access swtor.com. I have it worse than you.

Would you rather they allow Aus orders but have no oceanic servers available? There would be an equal amount of QQ.
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-11-16 at 05:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since this thread was created a month ago, there was a few oceanic test by Bioware, there will be oceanic server someday, but they havent officially stated they will be released for release date.

Still Australian can rally together on a west coast, they should be in the same area that they would implement those oceanic servers and should get the same ping.

Btw from what ive seen Europe/NA/SA/oceanic will all be controlled by the same entity and be accessible for all and no region lock.
    Not like wow when you buy a version of the game you are stuck in that region and cant even pay to get a transfer which i learned later..

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Stop being butthurt about no official Aus launch. Just buy a copy and wait for oceanic servers like the rest of us non EU/NA.
    'Butthurt'? Really. Is this word part of your regular vernacular? I don't see people having a 'cry', or really 'complain' and it was a valid question that the original poster asked, considering we still 'don't' have any official word that there even 'will be' oceanic servers. So yes, we do encourage people to import a copy like everyone else, but I for one am not holding my breath for Oceanic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Would you rather they allow Aus orders but have no oceanic servers available? There would be an equal amount of QQ.
    Why would there be QQ about this? This is the status quo for EVERY MMO that has been released in Australia, except Warhammer Online (which has no Oceanic servers anymore). Whether it's Aion, Aoc, Rift or Wow, we all play on North American servers anyway. So in answer to your question, no! It wouldn't be an equal amount of QQ because that's what we have come to expect, and are frankly disappointed this wasn't a consideration. Your claims of this leading to equal QQ, just highlights how disconnected you are from the reality of the situation.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by warjin View Post
    its 250ms tops

and theres no chance there will be a server in aus or nz. its not worth the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    'Butthurt'? Really. Is this word part of your regular vernacular? I don't see people having a 'cry', or really 'complain' and it was a valid question that the original poster asked, considering we still 'don't' have any official word that there even 'will be' oceanic servers. So yes, we do encourage people to import a copy like everyone else, but I for one am not holding my breath for Oceanic servers.

Why would there be QQ about this? This is the status quo for EVERY MMO that has been released in Australia, except Warhammer Online (which has no Oceanic servers anymore). Whether it's Aion, Aoc, Rift or Wow, we all play on North American servers anyway. So in answer to your question, no! It wouldn't be an equal amount of QQ because that's what we have come to expect, and are frankly disappointed this wasn't a consideration. Your claims of this leading to equal QQ, just highlights how disconnected you are from the reality of the situation.
    My comments were based off people in this thread/other threads on mmo saying how "wronged" they are and how Bioware won't get "1c" from them. Oceanic tests are an obvious indication of their intentions. Don't like my use of words on an internet forum? Deal with it.

People will always find something to complain about. Was there even oceanic servers on WoW's initial release? I can't honestly remember. I thought those were added later. The good news is VPN's have stated they will cater to swtor with new servers, so you won't be lagging out like me.
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-11-16 at 07:12 AM.

personally couldnt care less about aus server...played wow for years and no prob with ping...all i want is not to be waiting 3 months to play while NA and EU are having all the fun...we want release date same as them

Buy a copy from the states - play on US servers. Simple.

I'll be playing this weekend on the Beta from Aus.