WD Caviar Black 1TB

Anyone else using this HDD that has experience with it being quite noisy. It makes (not quite sure on the word here but..) grindy noises whenever it's working hard. Should I be worried or is this normal for this HDD?

I'm pretty sure it's normal for the WD black, alot of people have that problem and I have it too. It does the grinding noise when booting up, running anti virus, etc. It's annoying but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 2 of the 640gb's and haven't experienced the noise. It could however be masked by my gfx card fan and case fans.

Guess I shouldn't worry then. It's still a very distracting noise though.

Yeah I agree, I was going for a silent build and this just ruins it. I might replace it when I get my SSD.

Deleted
    I have a 1,5TB and a 1 TB one's among others in my comp, they do make very distinctive noise every now and then but basically only when under very heavy usage, pretty much need to be working on large file transfers or something like full computer virus check. And even then I wouldn't call it really that loud of a noise, audible but doesn't really bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had the 640 gb WD black which died on me after 3 days. Went for WD black cus i thought they were quality.

Went seagate 1tb after and its silent. Got 2 WD 500gb Blue edition which also make a bit of noise.

I can also confirm it. I got a 1TB WD black, and it makes that noise after the boot up for around 2 minutes. I even returned one before because of that sound, thinking it was faulty or something, but after getting the 2nd one and doing some more research, it turned out that the sound is normal for it.

It also tends to make that sound when I open some games, such as WoW.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

I know my 1TB WD Black is silent 99% of the time. Every once in a while it makes the "harddrive is workin on stuff" sound, but usually it's when an antivirus is running or something like that. I've read reports of people having REALLY loud WD Blacks & some having an experience like me where they're silent. I have two computers with them and both are quiet.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have 4 1tb caviar blacks, they are silent, you may want to look at a new drive, grinding noise is not normal

10+ Year Old Account
    I also use Caviar blacks, and mine are silent aswell, only when using the drive for the first time, e.g accessing my fraps drive after boot, will cause a whirling sounds that indicates the plates are speeding up, after that its the sound is gone and it is overpowered by my fans. However a grinding, scratching or any other destructive noise is never normal.

i have the wd black caviar and my xbox makes more noise then my pc, i can hardly ever hear my pc unless there is absoulte silence and even then its like a really tiny hum
    "Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools" Albert Einstein

I've got the 500gb Black Caviar, and when I first bought it I was like "OH SHIT, it's gonna ASPLODE", but it's been chugging along nicely for the last 9 months or so with out a single problem and I've since got used to it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also have one but i'm pretty sure that it is nothing abnormal it is just the head seeking to look for data. it will only need to seek when it has to access information that is not in it's current cylinder.

Deleted
    tried defragmenting? i have the 640gb version and its quiet.

10+ Year Old Account
    How it sounds may be related to vibrations in the case, thus it will differ from setup to setup and nobody can really say for sure if your drive is healthy or not based on vague descriptions on how it sounds

I can hear my 3x 1TB caviar black stripe chugging but am not alarmed, I think it sounds healthy ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Honestly noise from the Cav Blacks is worse than most drives in undampened cases. I can't hear my dual 640's in my Define R3, but I sure could in my old Antec 900.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I've been running 2 1TB Caviar Blacks for at least 18 months and now that i think about it, I don't think I've ever heard them make much noise if really any at all. Also, while not loud, my pc isn't silent either so if what you're complaining about is barely audible I could just not be hearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    I know my 1TB WD Black is silent 99% of the time. Every once in a while it makes the "harddrive is workin on stuff" sound, but usually it's when an antivirus is running or something like that. I've read reports of people having REALLY loud WD Blacks & some having an experience like me where they're silent. I have two computers with them and both are quiet.
    Same here, my 1TB Black is three years old now and aside from some spin-up noise, it's silent. I like my computer being on the very quiet side, right now the only sound I can hear is from the front case fan.
    Super casual.

My WD Black Caviar 1TB used to make noise like a month ago but it haven't done any noise since which is pretty weird.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter