Thread: i7 or AMD x6 ?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

i7 or AMD x6 ?

So I am building new configuration for my computer, and I can't judge between i7 2600k or AMD x6 ? Please help.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i7 has some weird problems. Causing strange lagg spikes and if the i7 is going into sleep it will take him long to get ready again causing it to be slow.
    Gl with your choice

An i5-2500k blows away the amd phenom II x6.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezi View Post
    i7 has some weird problems. Causing strange lagg spikes and if the i7 is going into sleep it will take him long to get ready again causing it to be slow.
    Gl with your choice
    What exactly are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallker View Post
    So I am building new configuration for my computer, and I can't judge between i7 2600k or AMD x6 ? Please help.
    Whether you're gaming or running multiple multi-threaded applications, i7 is far and away the better choice.

If you're just using the computer for gaming you can drop the i7-2600k to an i5-2500k and save yourself some money.

Gl with your choice
    Sounds like a problem with your computer, that's not an issue with the CPU.

Given a choice between either chip, ignoring costs the i7 blows away the X6 in every task. Even the i5-2500K bests the X6 in all but a very select few tasks, if you're only gaming then the 2500K is a better choice (less than 3% performance difference for $100.)
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't use my computer only for games. Also cost is no problem, I just want superior CPU that won't be fastly outdated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Sounds like a problem with your computer, that's not an issue with the CPU.

Given a choice between either chip, ignoring costs the i7 blows away the X6 in every task. Even the i5-2500K bests the X6 in all but a very select few tasks, if you're only gaming then the 2500K is a better choice (less than 3% performance difference for $100.)
    The i5 2500k and the i7 2600k perform equal on games that use up to 4 cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    The i5 2500k and the i7 2600k perform equal on games that use up to 4 cores.
    Which is pretty much what I said, yes. The 3% performance difference relates to the clock speeds being 3% different, assuming HT doesn't cause a drop like it used to.
    Super casual.

No I don't use my computer only for games. Also cost is no problem, I just want superior CPU that won't be fastly outdated.
    Then the i7-2600k is the way to go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The i7 2600k is one of the better consumer processors on the market. Here are benchmarking comparisons between the i7-2600k and the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, and here are two reviews of AMD's newest architecture, Bulldozer ("FX" chips). Intel's processors are generally superior in everything other than heavily threaded workloads (and there they're broadly competitive).

There are also a few processors coming out in Q4 2011. The i7 2700k, which is really just a slight clock speed bump on the i7 2600k, and the Sandy Bridge-E line of processors, which will retail for around $1000 I think.

Gl with your choice
    *scratches head*

...I'm sorry, what..?

@Stallker: Since you're playing games, as well as doing another stuff, an i7 2600K is your best bet, or do as what Synthaxx mentioned about the new upcoming CPU's.
    Last edited by Static; 2011-10-16 at 11:50 PM.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Gl with your choice
    do you even have an i7 2600k, i do and i can honestly say it blows away my AMD Phenom II 955 black edition, obviously... but in general the 2600k is an amazing processor, even while doing a lot of multitasking etc... i never seen it under any real load, slap it together with a decent SSD and you have a seriously fast computer

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gl with your choice

What the hell is this crap?

@OP: Based on what you plan to do with your computer you have two far superior choices to the old x6: If you plan to just game, you could get the i5-2500K, however if you plan to play games like BF3, render photos/videos, and/or fold, then you need to decide if the premium cost of the i7-2600K is worth it over the 2500K.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

im using 6core phenom amd and it works just great for gaming, most experts i've talked to adviced me to go amd instead of intel for gaming..

Quote Originally Posted by Hennek View Post
    im using 6core phenom amd and it works just great for gaming, most experts i've talked to adviced me to go amd instead of intel for gaming..
    Most of the so-called experts you were talking to have no clue whatsoever about gaming CPUs... At least not when it comes to WoW performance. It's undeniable fact that with the sole exception of BF3 beta there aren't any mainstream games that would run faster on AMD than Intel processor.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is true, you have to wonder what their motivation is...as the AMD chip are mostly always cheaper than their Intel counterparts...mostly.

This would be my advice to the OP, you will make a noticeable saving purchasing the Phenom II over the i7. (£100+) So it depends if you want great performance or the greatest performance from your CPU.
    Last edited by Riff; 2011-10-17 at 09:06 AM.

Deleted
    And who were these "experts"? Four years ago AMD was in the lead, but the tides have turned. Intel is clearly outperforming AMD on consumer level, both when it comes to multi and single threaded applications. The only place where AMD arguably beats out intel is whit their Llano and Fusion APUs, but even that is borderline. With the let down of bulldozer there is little reason to go or stay with AMD.

As for OP, the i5 2500k is clearly the CPU to go for (considering gaming) today.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    More cores is better! That's what these "experts" seem to believe. lololol! Real experts are people who base their knowledge on something other than sales and numbers on boxes, but rather on real benchmarks. Let me add in another benchmark comparison...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...3.64.57.56.335
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'll go with i7 2600k then.