LF anyone knowledgable about CPUID HW Monitor to help explain this

Ok, so i cannot post attachments otherwise i would include a screen shot of my question to make it more clear. Let's see if this makes sense.

New system, and i am running cpuid hardware monitor. in the monitor, the readings list as such:
    MoBo
    -Voltages
    -Temperatures
    ---Mainboard (27c)
    ---CPU (124c)
    ---CPU Socket (26c)

Intel Core i5 2500k
    -Temperatures
    ---Core#0 (30c)
    ---Core#1 (29c)
    ---Core#2 (30c)
    ---Core#3 (28c)
    ---Package (30c)

ther are obviously many other temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, etc being monitored, but my question lies with the above temps. The dropdown under the main board has a cpu temp of 124c. it stays at this temp, not moving at all once the system starts. this seems exceptionally high, and very bad.

under the processor drop down, though, the individual core temps seem very good. What is the discrepancy, and should i be concerned?

thank you for your help and expertise with this.

Are you sure that 124C isn't actually 124F? 124C is insanely hot, around a 255F in fact, if you are actually miss reading it as Celsius I'd only be concerned if those were idle temps, if it's reporting those after a fairly long gaming session I'd say overclock that thing. The core temperatures are well with in the expected temperatures though, I'd double check with the BIOS to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazrid View Post
    Ok, so i cannot post attachments otherwise i would include a screen shot of my question to make it more clear. Let's see if this makes sense.

New system, and i am running cpuid hardware monitor. in the monitor, the readings list as such:
    MoBo
    -Voltages
    -Temperatures
    ---Mainboard (27c)
    ---CPU (124c)
    ---CPU Socket (26c)

Intel Core i5 2500k
    -Temperatures
    ---Core#0 (30c)
    ---Core#1 (29c)
    ---Core#2 (30c)
    ---Core#3 (28c)
    ---Package (30c)

ther are obviously many other temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, etc being monitored, but my question lies with the above temps. The dropdown under the main board has a cpu temp of 124c. it stays at this temp, not moving at all once the system starts. this seems exceptionally high, and very bad.

under the processor drop down, though, the individual core temps seem very good. What is the discrepancy, and should i be concerned?

thank you for your help and expertise with this.
    Probably a faulty sensor or there is no sensor at all but it is picking up one and assigning an arbitrary number.
    Since each die is ~30c there is no way the socket is running at 125 >.>
    Just go off the die or l3 reading and disregard the other.