Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why no official forums?

What is arena net's reason for not having any official forums? Would you like them to?

Deleted
    Yeah its odd isn't it lol. Would love them to have official forums, would make a center place for GW2 discussion instead of people being all on different forums.

Well, official wow forums is a good example of trolls/clueless people giving advice and getting MVP for that. So maybe another thing ANet won't implement for the sake of community health?

15+ Year Old Account
    I see no good coming out of them having an official forum (look at the WoW forums for example).

Would just get cluttered with pointless and irrelevant things.

MMOC is well enough for me (never go to GW2Guru).

It's a double-edged sword, I think.

On one hand, official forums would give the community a central place for communicating and discussion(s).

On the other hand, they would have to be moderated, which is an onerous task. Yes, that task could eventually be given to MVP's within the community, but the initial responsibility would fall to ArenaNet. The cost of running a forum in itself isn't much, it's the saffing requirement behind the scenes that are the costly part.

All in all though, were I given a choice to have them or not, I'd probably vote in favour of having them,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post

I went there once *shudders*

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with cutting costs to an extent. To start someone would have to be paid to moderate, then once lolfanmods are picked to do that job for free, the cost would be pennies on the dollar. If they decide to sell banners on their forums they would just be making money in which case it would be dumb not to have official forums.

I do not agree with people thinking it's just a breeding ground for dumb question and wrong answers. I mean, yeah it's gonna have that, but so does MMOC. The mods on this sub forum just seem to never sleep and are usually really quick about closing pointless repeated threads and flame threads.

GW2G forum is the closet thing to an official one, with devs and cms etc. occasionally posting there, but that place has Nazis for moderators that delete posts for being 1% off-topic and so on. The community is super up-tight as well. MMOC is definitely better with a more laid-back community and fewer derps. Just less posters interested in GW2. For now...

But an actual official one might be a bad idea. I just CRINGE at the SWTOR forums: 50% people complaining and 50% people claiming the game is dead or just fine. Granted, GW2 is gonna be a way better game with less need for complaints and what not, but people always find ways to, like all the freaking out over the new trait system: "OMG I NEED TO GO 2 TOWN TO RESPEC? WTF THAT BREAK MY IMMERSION!" Besides, official forums have acted more as a trash bin for rage than anything else.
    Last edited by Spriggan; 2012-03-05 at 12:55 PM.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Sooo much this. Never met so many asinine, self righteous, and entitled people on a forum before. Besides the official WoW forums, that is =P

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    "OMG I NEED TO GO 2 TOWN TO RESPEC? WTF THAT BREAK MY IMMERSION!
    OMFG RESPECS AREN'T FREE? WTFBBQ MY MONIES

le sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    What is arena net's reason for not having any official forums? Would you like them to?
    Hope they never implement official forums and keep the communication between players and themselves minimum.
    Official forums and the developers actually reacting to players made wow community a bunch of crying babies, who "don't like this", "don't like that", "not balanced", "not good", "crap" etc... We should shut up and concentrate on enjoying the game instead of spending time on forums.

Also we should just let them do that they want to do, they seem to know very well what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalBoot View Post
    I went there once *shudders*
    I know how you feel. /hug
    Last edited by Spriggan; 2012-03-05 at 01:39 PM.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    It would cost them extra money, I suppose, but as we can see from the official WoW forums.. there really is no benefit.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If there were an official forum, it would probably be just like GW2Guru, except ANet would have to spend more money. I say things are fine as they are now. GW2Guru as the unofficial official forum for GW2 is fine with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the plan has always been to still have a support forum section for GW2 be official. There's really no need for everything else is there?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Please stop the dissing of GW2G, if you have issues with it write the admin there instead.
    We are not allowed to say that we, personally, don't like GW2Guru?

Deleted
    because we like mmo-champion

Deleted
    They can always still add Forums the game isn't even released yet.
    We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrias View Post
    They can always still add Forums the game isn't even released yet.
    We'll see.
    At least they should bind their posting privileges to the Anet-Acountsm so that they don't get that much troll-posters inside. Not that it helped other games (see WoW-Forums), but we will see.
    Can't imagine that there aren't forums during the open beta, but who knows.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    By not having an official forum, all the Guild Wars 2 fans will spread out to different forums and talk about the game. More people see this and take interest in it.

They didn't have one for Guild Wars as well.

I have yet to see a decent official forums. I wouldn't be bothered at all if they never had an official forum. Some sort of support forum would be nice though, and I believe they will have those.