Is Trion attempting every business model with its titles?

Trion has three games: Rift, End of Nations, and Defiance.

RIFT is subscription.

End of Nations is F2P.

We don't know what model Defiance is yet, but given that it is set to be released on Xbox, PS3, and PC I'd wager it's B2P with a cosmetic/convienance item cashshop like GW2 is. I doubt that console gamers are the types to pay monthly subscriptions, as DCUO went F2P.

I wonder which way of business will end up being the most profitable. Not finding out the answer to this question will be among the only reasons I'm a little sad that Trion isn't a publicly-traded company.

I'm actually willing to bet Defiance will be F2P as well. Xbox just got it's first F2P title (Happy Wars), and we know PS3 already has a few (DCUO and Free Realms) with more coming (FFXIV and Dust 514).

I think they see the writing on the wall and know that it will be extremely difficult to continue releasing subscription based games, as F2P has proven to be a very profitable business model across multiple games.

You're also forgetting that they will be publishing Warface (Crytek's F2P shooter) over in the West as well, so that's another PC F2P game to add to the list : )

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Xbox just got it's first F2P title (Happy Wars)
    I thought this was GW2 bashing for a second, then I re-read it.

Happy Wars is a thing? Woa...

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    I thought this was GW2 bashing for a second, then I re-read it.

Happy Wars is a thing? Woa...
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/24...summer-trailer

Indeed it is. I don't know much about it. Saw a bit and then just *eyerolled* my way through the rest of the "First F2P game on Xbox!" news announcements. I mean, it's important in that it's the first and all, but it's just so...bleh.

I'd like to see Trion's take on a hybrid sub or F2P model. If any one in the business can do it right, so to speak, it's Trion.

Esp. curious in light of what looks to be at the moment an abhorrent hybrid transition in The Old Republic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'd like to see Trion's take on a hybrid sub or F2P model. If any one in the business can do it right, so to speak, it's Trion.

Esp. curious in light of what looks to be at the moment an abhorrent hybrid transition in The Old Republic.
    Yeah idc what business model they use for their games as long as they design it from the ground up based on the design model and don't flip around like a fish out of water.

Here's Lance James talking about End of Nations....sounds like the way to do f2p once again designed from the ground up. I'm not huge fan of RTS but I've checked it out and it looks to be well done.

End of Nations had a legit design template for a CS from what I saw in the betas. Though I didn't play it much due to a number of... issues.

Not sure if a B2P model would work of Rift necessarily. But a hybrid model might definitely work in Rift w/o breaking or restricting too many of the existing systems in place. I know LOTRO had a great F2P/hybrid transition. Where stuff like EQ2 was sort of terrible...

I think Trion can do it right. They are pretty savvy folks over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    End of Nations had a legit design template for a CS from what I saw in the betas. Though I didn't play it much due to a number of... issues.

Not sure if a B2P model would work of Rift necessarily. But a hybrid model might definitely work in Rift w/o breaking or restricting too many of the existing systems in place. I know LOTRO had a great F2P/hybrid transition. Where stuff like EQ2 was sort of terrible...

I think Trion can do it right. They are pretty savvy folks over there.
    I personally hope Rift stays sub based. Their philosophy for Rift has been based on providing a service for the monthly fee and designed the game around it which I don't mind supporting and can say most other developers can't match it. Rift/Trion sets the standard for a sub based game. Let them test hybrid with defiance or Warface imo.

Well, a hybrid model wouldn't exclude subscriptions or subscribers. So the concern doesn't really apply here.

That's sort of the whole point I was making the last two posts; if Rift went this route I would bet Trion to be the company that gets the model right in fairness to both f2p and sub customers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, a hybrid model wouldn't exclude subscriptions or subscribers. So the concern doesn't really apply here.

That's sort of the whole point I was making the last two posts; if Rift went this route I would bet Trion to be the company that gets the model right in fairness to both f2p and sub customers.
    I do agree with you, If anyone did it right it would be Trion no doubt. I think the problem that arises that kind makes me twitch a bit is the stigma that says failure when you convert your business model. I think what LOTR is like the only game that has really done this somewhat successfully? To me LOTR is barely a blip on the radar now. It could be a good game but for some reason I have no desire to even try it.....logical I don't know.

Rift already has a pretty much unrestricted level 20 f2p and at this point you've should have made a decent educated decision one way or another if you should play or not. Going forward a modification to the current f2p might be needed after SL launch. A theme park MMO with elements of sandbox (Eg player/guild housing) are typically designed to be played more then say a b2p or f2p game if your playing an MMORPG the time investment from a player and the developer is vastly more then play once through games and f2p mindset is fine for other genres in my mind. If you truly are a f2p play person who supports microtransactions/cash shop then is really an MMORPG the right game for that?

Just my ramblings on the matter.

I think that stigma is becoming about as ancient as the MMOs from which sub models sprang forth. Sometimes a few people have to be dragged kicking & screaming into the next era.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that stigma is becoming about as ancient as the MMOs from which sub models sprang forth. Sometimes a few people have to be dragged kicking & screaming into the next era.
    Haha, that's me. Reading the nonsense SWTOR initial f2p PTS news brings about just makes me sit staring at a blank wall rocking uncontrollably then curling up in a fetal position crying myself to sleep....well not really but yeah.

Well I'm not to concerned one way or another with Trion at the helm unless there was some major management shake up or EA were to buy them out. I try to keep a good pulse on the other games I think Rift looks to be doing ok going forward if they continue the pace and quality of development. They've weathered the storm (no pun intended) and the shift form ZoMg bAD cloNE gAME iZ bAd!!!111one to "hey this game is worth looking at (or second look for some)" is the case now.

I know I wouldn't go all ape shit if things were done right but I still think the sub model works for Rift based on their current design.

Wasn't there talk a while back about them extending Rift Lite? I wouldn't put it past them, once they get things smoothed out after xpac, to extend Rift Lite to 50, no SL content. If they did this, it would keep older content relevant. If they offered 60's weekly quests to go do these, with forced mentoring to 50 with stat caps = current BiS ID gear, then that would make sure it is run regularly enough for the Rift Lite Players to see it. I really hope Trion does something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Wasn't there talk a while back about them extending Rift Lite? I wouldn't put it past them, once they get things smoothed out after xpac, to extend Rift Lite to 50, no SL content. If they did this, it would keep older content relevant. If they offered 60's weekly quests to go do these, with forced mentoring to 50 with stat caps = current BiS ID gear, then that would make sure it is run regularly enough for the Rift Lite Players to see it. I really hope Trion does something like this.
    Yeah there was a mention in an article or stream from Scott Hartsman that they may re-visit the current f2p but the focus at the moment was live and the xpac at that time so I can see something changing after SL launches.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I personally hope Rift stays sub based. Their philosophy for Rift has been based on providing a service for the monthly fee and designed the game around it which I don't mind supporting and can say most other developers can't match it.
    This.

I really hope they don't change over to some hybrid model, while they might pull it off and get it just right I just really dislike the model in it self, it uses up development resources to update and stock the store and I still haven't heard of one major game developer that doesn't have finite resources when it comes to development staff, this would result in subscribers missing out on content they would otherwise get for free, or have to pay extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Haha, that's me. Reading the nonsense SWTOR initial f2p PTS news brings about just makes me sit staring at a blank wall rocking uncontrollably then curling up in a fetal position crying myself to sleep....well not really but yeah.

I know I wouldn't go all ape shit if things were done right but I still think the sub model works for Rift based on their current design.
    It does work in a certain way, but also sorta doesn't.

And there are 2 ways to look at this validly. One is the overt trend toward low barrier to entry in online game space. The other is selling a premium but ultimately niche experience. Right now Rift def. falls into the latter view. Rift appeals to a rather limited type of player base.

Which is not too shabby actually. The trend of tightly focused [PVE/P centric, casual centric, etc], niche online games is as healthy as the more broad market/mainstream titles.

When I conceptualize Rift making a transition at some time in the future it is not so much in consideration of the game's $ state. More like gameplay.

It is without question that MMOs are built on the idea of being social alongside the basic game premise. It is also without question in my mind that Rift is only enhanced by more players. Really now, Rift isn't brimming with so many people at the moment.