The Watercooler: Imperialism

Today we're going to take a step back away from the smaller more personal topics and on a more political and historical one. Imperialism. As always I will start off with some sources then give the topic questions to start the discussions, this time I'm going to add in some political cartoons because there are some really good ones over this.

Written Sources (Trying to get sources from different stances)
    Wikipedia on Imperialism

"The White Man's Burden," by Rudyard Kipling, a poem over Imperialism

American Imperialism

Effects of European Imperialism on Africa

Why Is Imperialism Good

Videos

Political Cartoons

So the topic questions, what do you think of Imperialism of the past and do you think it had a positive or negative effect on the world? Next do you think Imperialism is still going on today, and by who and where and to what extent?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The imperialism of the past was far more... physical in nature and much worse. Today it's all about economy and money, and far less about walking into someones country and planting your flag in it to start kicking people around.

Imperialism happens, and I think people need to realize that everyone does it or wants to do it. USA, Russia, EU, China are all the big actors in this.

Also, I don't understand that comic panel about "the modern imperialist". Not sure what it's trying to say.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Good god man, what a loaded question, I think it was half good/half bad, as all things such as this usually are.
    And as for today...come on....really? I don't think that even deserves answer, it's just so plainly obvious. Nothing has changed, everything is changed. Half good/half bad.
    But I do have a question for you OP, I see threads like this often, and I always wonder: Assignment for class? Or marketing research thinly veiled?

I totally do love those comics though.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Without imperialism, some people on this forum would still be living in mud huts, hunting and gathering to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Good god man, what a loaded question, I think it was half good/half bad, as all things such as this usually are.
    And as for today...come on....really? I don't think that even deserves answer, it's just so plainly obvious. Nothing has changed, everything is changed. Half good/half bad.
    But I do have a question for you OP, I see threads like this often, and I always wonder: Assignment for class? Or marketing research thinly veiled?

I totally do love those comics though.
    It's mainly my personal interest, I like invoking conversations, and I also like to see how much differently the conversations and discussions go when resources are provided from various sources to quickly educate the people on the topic.

And the topics are kind of chosen on what's on my mind at the moment, so that's why the topics vary from the Friendzone, to AdBlock, to Imperialism.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-02-26 at 02:28 AM.