Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account

Starting to train for a trek

Starting sometime next week when I get home, I am gonna start training actively for the first time.
    I am a tall lanky human being, tried a few times in the past to gain some muscle, without great success. This time its different though, and therefore I am confused.
    Next July I am going to trek Kilimanjaro, and I need to be working out for that to be non-lethal. This time I have a goal, and I'm alot more motivated.
    Looking pre- and past the trek though, I want to just generally be in good shape, both strength and condition in mind.
    Could anyone give me some pointers towards what might be a good program, or design something really quickly for me?
    Basically a mix between strength training and running.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on where you live, it helps a ton to summit a smaller mountain a few times. You start to tire pretty quickly when you're above 12,000 ft.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Depending on where you live, it helps a ton to summit a smaller mountain a few times. You start to tire pretty quickly when you're above 12,000 ft.
    Yeah I'll try to do that, tallest we have is 7000 ft, and that is across the country.
    I guess just basic running exercises and strength training will do just fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about strength, muscle is just going to be extra weight to lug around. Focus on endurance and altitude training.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    For offseason climbing prep I do a lot of stairs and hills to develop calf strength. Also big volcanos can be really boring, just endless slopes of talus and scree. So I recommend just doing long walks or hikes to prepare for the mental fatigue.

Otherwise I've heard that Kilimanjaro is a snap. Porters are mandatory so you don't have to carry much.

Do Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards (1 or 3) weight lifting program which is designed to build muscle, strength and speed for athletes. Do this with the upper body "Simple 6" warm up and the lower body "Limber 11" warm up. On your off days you could can do sprints, HIIT, or LIIS cardio. I am not a runner but I was a running back in high school and college so I think this will help with what you are looking for.

You're doing a trek, a dangerous one, so let's isolate what you need, in the most simple terms.

1. You need enough muscle to support lots of GLYCOGEN aka muscle fuel. This means you don't need massive bulk, but you need to be somewhat close to your bodies max EQUILIBRIUM weight. This is why big guys in the military lose lots of weight going into tougher programs; that much muscle requires more energy to keep going, but not enough muscle doesn't give you the strength/endurance to keep going.

2. Cardio. The longer you keep your heart rate up, the better. The longer you keep your heart-rate up WHILE doing something tough, the best. Don't just do push-ups... use different grips and keep going while staying focused. Dont just run, do sprints some days. Ruk-sack march with sand in a backpack.

3. Sleep and Healing. This is SO important! You need to eat. You need to sleep. If you can't eat much, stretch your stomach with extra veggies. Your appetite should naturally sky-rocket if you are training HARD enough because your body is "smarter" than you, disorders aside.

I run over 40 miles a week... 4 miles to the gym, a 2 hour workout, then 4 miles home. I ruk on Saturdays, and completely rest on Sunday. I'm 6'4" and 215, former military.

For pre-run protein I eat peanut butter. For meals it's chicken/eggs/tuna/lean-burgers.
    For carbs I cook, it's buttered sweet potato or butter/salt brown rice. If I'm in a hurry, it's oatmeal or ramen.
    Broccoli and spinach for veggies 9/10 times.

Nothing else will matter if you can't achieve the basics first.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    Building strong legs muscles and core will be very useful for a trek. You'll want to work on building your calf muscles to support a strong stride as well as quads, hams, and glutes. They are all important and should be trained equally as hard which is why I mention them all. Perhaps hire *snip* for a couple of sessions and ask for them base a routine around your goal.

infracted - advertising
    Last edited by Crissi; 2018-07-11 at 06:00 PM.

I used to bike on bad trails purposely with a shitty mountain bike and that works you like a horse and builds crazy stamina, also if you want stronger feet and feet muscles go for runs or long walks bare feet, humans were never meant to wear shoes and our feet have paid for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necro'd thread. Killing it back to death