Thread: Hot to arena?

Hot to arena?

Alright, so heres the thing.

I recently leveled up a shaman with the aim to do some arenas with it as resto. I already healed some hc's so im not new to the entire healing system, however im quite unfamiliar with the totem usage.
    So arena liker resto shammies this question is for u: do u put down all the time 4 totems or not? For example yesterday when i played with a rouge fella i just started the figth with 4 totems, but after meele started to do pressure on me i just dropped earthbind and stoneclaw went to ghost wolf and did some dance around the pillars, and didnt really paid attention to the totems except theese two.
    Also my healing rotation used only riptide, healing wave, and healing surge when in bad situation, and ofc earth shield on the one who is currently being nuked. Wonder whether shammies use chain heal, healing rain, or greater heling wave?

So basically thats all id just appreciate some advices how to play as resto in arenas.
    Ty in advance

Deleted
    I personally use GHW, as I have a decent gear, so I crit around 65k with it while unleash is active.
    Otherwise, always riptide when off CD, unleash always when need to land a big heal (remember the 30% crit bonus to HS from unleash) and keep ES on the target.
    Try to use Wolf as much as possible, kite your targets, use different shocks by the situation and use all 4 totems.

Earthbind - random - HS - Grounding for example

Bump, I would also like to hear some input about this as I am leveling up a resto shammy for areans. almost 85.

1) KEYBIND

Individually bind your important totems:

grounding
    earthbind
    mana tide
    tremor
    stoneclaw

I also HIGHLY recommend individually binding the other totems relevant to arena. However buff totems have a very low priority after you begin a match. You should only redrop buff totems like stoneskin, healing stream, etc if you have safe positioning and your teammates aren't taking much damage. Otherwise you can do so much more by healing.

Bind your interrupts to something easy to hit. Bind all of your shocks, heals, etc etc. It is imperative that your reaction times are on par or BETTER than your enemy's. It will give you an extreme advantage.

If you haven't already, unbind A and D from keyboard turn and S from move backwards. Bind A and D to strafe and bind S to something casted (GHW or HS perhaps). It might take a while to get used to new keybinds, but it will always be worth it.

2) Positioning.

Don't cast GHW in the open. You're asking for a) An interrupt or b) to be CC'd. In fact NEVER stand in the central area of Nagrand. The only reason you should ever go there is for a kill.

Always look for good LOS so that you can hard cast heals. If you do that not only do you get a heal or two off, but you force the enemy team to spend time to move and CC/Interrupt your heals. If you catch them making a move to do so, then move again and make them fight on your terms. That's the art of war.

3) Don't get discouraged.

When you lose, analyze the loss. Talk to your teammates and see what they could have done. Remember where you were positioned when you died or first got CC'd. Remember not to make the same mistake again.

4) Don't arena with unmotivated friends.

If your friends aren't motivated to get better rating, then pushing them to get better is going to be extremely frustrating for them. Find a good comp on worldofwargraphs.com* and run it with people from trade with PvP gear. Anyone responding to an arena ad is likely trying to improve their rating too so you shouldn't ever have a problem unless they advert "LF 2s/3s for points" - stay away from those.

* "Good comp" right now means that the top 100 teams are at least 2.2k, with the top 10 pushing 2500+

5) Healing

As mentioned before, always try to be out of LOS of your enemies when hard-casting heals. Otherwise - cast riptide every time you can. You NEED tidal waves up for both GHW and HS, so it's best to have that buff running all the time.

Unleash Weapon is a great way to make your riptide hit harder when you know you don't have a chance to hard cast a heal anytime soon. If you think you can hard cast a heal or dodge the interrupt then save Unleash Weapon for HS or GHW.

ALWAYS have earth shield on the target being focused. If you get CC'd, this is the best way to save yourself from having to trinket to heal them.

6) Etc

Try to use mana tide when the enemy team is going for a kill. Not only is this the same time that you'll be using the most mana per second, but it also distracts them and they could easily decide not to kill it at all.

DRINK DRINK DRINK. Bring a few stacks of water to each match. You might not find many opportunities to drink in 3s, but any time you do and need to, you should be ready. Keybind your water to something easy to spam when you're about to go out of combat.

This list isn't complete, just stuff off the top of my head that I think will help.

Good luck.

Thank youd for the advices, i really appreciate them.

wow, great! thank you for all the information! What kind of gear are you guys running? full pvp gear? a mix for more spellpower?