Thread: The Food Thread

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hey belf, so i have a bunch of vegetables (carrots, scallions, bell peppers, broccohli, radish.) and i want to find a way to incorperate a bunch of meat into the veges for like a dinner a or lunch. the kind of meats i have/can get are pretty much bacon, chicken, pork, beef. I can also have pretty much all the basic ingrediants.

Ps: can it please not be mushroom related =D

EDIT: forgot, i also have a bunch of spices too
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    I have sugar.... and pasta.... and milk....

yep

That's... harder than the peanut butter and tuna challenge.

Have olive oil? Butter? Either one makes this sooo much easier. Cook pasta. Melt butter or get out the olive oil. Combine. Hit with some salt and pepper. Simple is better sometimes.

If you have some old bread (not moldy), do the breadcrumbs I suggested earlier. Throw them on top.

---------- Post added 2011-07-02 at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    hey belf, so i have a bunch of vegetables (carrots, scallions, bell peppers, broccohli, radish.) and i want to find a way to incorperate a bunch of meat into the veges for like a dinner a or lunch. the kind of meats i have/can get are pretty much bacon, chicken, pork, beef. I can also have pretty much all the basic ingrediants.

Ps: can it please not be mushroom related =D

EDIT: forgot, i also have a bunch of spices too
    I'll work on this one soon, but I have a couple questions first. Do you need to use ALL of those veggies in this dish? It's not a problem if you do, I know how pantry management works. Also, do you have any preference for the meat you'd like to use? I'm obviously going to use USDA prime wagyu tenderloin, dry aged at least 28 days, if you let me

Oh, also, is there any flavor profile you prefer? E.g., Tex-Mex, Thai, whatever.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-07-02 at 06:35 AM.

I have bread, butter, noodles, a ton of spices, pretzel sticks and sweet tea that tastes like wild onions for some odd reason. Work your magic, Mr. Magician.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    no i dont have to use all of them, also i prefer pork, and i dont think i can get pork that old like you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoranos View Post
    I have bread, butter, noodles, a ton of spices, pretzel sticks and sweet tea that tastes like wild onions for some odd reason. Work your magic, Mr. Magician.
    I'm... Incredibly concerned about your tea...? Is it a dry mix or something in a bottle?

The obvious solution to this, I've already posted, but I'll repeat. If the bread is good quality and fresh, you have butter. Let the bread stand on its own, butter it up, and serve as it stands or toast it a bit. If you're going to be toasting it, by "tons of spices" I assume you'll have garlic or at least garlic powder. If garlic powder, sprinkle on before toasting. If fresh garlic, toast it and then rub the raw clove over the bread a few times (careful, it's potent if you rub too much).

If the bread is low quality or not quite fresh, make crumbs. Crumble the bread (use a food processor even), heat some butter or olive oil in a pan (like 1 teaspoon, don't need much here). Throw in some minced garlic and shallots (or onions) if you have them. Throw in the bread. Cook until golden brown, set aside.

Cook noodles. Melt some butter. Toss noodles with butter, top with bread crumbs.

Eat the pretzels later while you're playing WoW.

---------- Post added 2011-07-02 at 07:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    no i dont have to use all of them, also i prefer pork, and i dont think i can get pork that old like you mentioned
    Ok. Let's do pork chops.

First, they should be brined. This will make them tender and juicy. The brine: 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (go light if you just have regular table salt) and 1 teaspoons sugar per cup of water. The water should be warm so the salt and sugar dissolve. Make enough to cover the pork in either a flat dish (casserole?) or a zip-lock bag. Combine the brine and pork with a few ice cubes, and refrigerate 45-60 minutes... I wouldn't go longer, or it might get too salty. You can add other seasonings to the brine if you want, but most spices won't do anything unless you also have oil (olive, vegetable, whatever). I usually throw in a couple cloves of garlic (mashed once with the side of my knife), and a few pepper corns.

Let's talk veggies. Have you ever tried quick pickling? For 2-3 servings, take about 1/4 cup vinegar (white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, even cider vinegar), half a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of sugar and combine in a bowl. Feel free to double, triple, or whatever. Julien the carrots and raddish (that is, make them into matchsticks), then toss with the vinegar mixture. Stir every few minutes for about 15-20 minutes. Pour off the vinegar mixture (or save in a sealed container to use again) and set the veggies aside.

Back to the pork. It's already salted from the brine. Do not add more salt. Pat it dry with paper towels, and rub with whatever seasoning blend you like. (Warning, do not use seasoning blends that contain salt). I personally like a blend with 1 part smoked paprika, 1 part ground cumin, 0.5 parts ground coriander, 2 parts whatever you have on hand called chile powder, and cayenne to taste.

Steam the broccoli for a few minutes until it's almost done.

Grill, pan fry, whatever, the pork until it hits 145 degrees. Take it off. Set it aside.

Throw a bit of oil in the same pan, and add some minced ginger and the broccoli. Cook until the broccoli is ready.

Serve. Pork chop should have the pickled veggies on top, broccoli on the side. Oh, and rice sounds like a good idea.

* I just made this combination up. But it made me hungry.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-07-02 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    Mix tuna and french brie. slize the pepperoncini in small bits and take it in the tuna brie mix. some salt and pepper in it. make a ''coin'' like shape of it. putt it in the oven for some mins untill it have stagnated and have some colour.
    Peanut butter? serusly?`SERUSLY???.. well.. i quess take some peanut butter in a jar/bowl and some water into it so it becomes a little smother / like a sauce. and use as garnish / sauce.

no facking idea of how it would taste.. but that is my bet attleast

Quote Originally Posted by Psylon View Post
    Peanut butter? serusly?`SERUSLY???.. well.. i quess take some peanut butter in a jar/bowl and some water into it so it becomes a little smother / like a sauce. and use as garnish / sauce.

no facking idea of how it would taste.. but that is my bet attleast
    That was kind of my idea. But here's how I'd do it if I was forced to use crappy American peanut butter...

2 parts peanut butter, 1 part hot water, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part sherry or vermouth, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a hit of cayenne or fresh minced chilies.

Edit: I haven't tested this recipe at all, but I think it would turn out like what you might know as Satay sauce.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-07-02 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm... Incredibly concerned about your tea...? Is it a dry mix or something in a bottle?
    For some reason, reading that made me happy. Also, it's in a bottle, Lipton Extra Sweet. I'd suppose wild onions isn't exactly enough to describe it, though. Wild onions, leaves and tree bark would be better. For some reason, I can't stop drinking it. It tastes awful and I'm sure something is wrong with it and that I shouldn't drink it, but I can't stop. Also, thank you for the ideas.

For some reason, reading that made me happy. Also, it's in a bottle, Lipton Extra Sweet. I'd suppose wild onions isn't exactly enough to describe it, though. Wild onions, leaves and tree bark would be better. For some reason, I can't stop drinking it. It tastes awful and I'm sure something is wrong with it and that I shouldn't drink it, but I can't stop. Also, thank you for the ideas.
    Rule of my business... if people repeatedly eat (or drink) it and don't die, we're good to go.

I have had Lipton teas before and I don't recall any kind of onion flavor. On the other hand, I do use Lipton onion soup mix as a secret ingredient in a few things (my swedish meatballs... sorry to any actual Swedes who might post here, but nom nom nom and my customers say the same. Consolation: my last name is probably at least as Swedish as yours).
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-07-02 at 09:30 AM.

What if they only almost die?

What if they only almost die?
    Then I probably get investigated by the FDA and USDA, and I likely get sued by the half-dead customer...

Moral of the story: wash your damn hands. Which is something I do probably 50-60 times a day.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-07-02 at 09:50 AM ----------

Alright, going to sleep. I have to be up in 3 (!) hours to buy ingredients for the weekend.

Anyone willing to relocate to be my sous chef?
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-07-02 at 09:51 AM.

I love Asian food. I just love it way too much. For years I have been making a lot of Chinese/Vietnamese-styled cooking (although that is a loose term, I just find recipes and get ideas here and there and try it out with whatever I've got), but I also love really love Indian food. I am, however, yet to make any Indian food, which I have planned for years but haven't really done.

So my question is: would anyone happen to have a good recipe for an Indian dish that doesn't take a million spices that are hard to come by? I love creamy, spicy sauces btw.
    man is the animal

Deleted
    I like cookies!

Oh, figured I'd contribute. It's sort of a family recipe, well, my grandmother taught it to me and I've never seen anyone who knew about it. I don't have measurements for stuff though.

What you need.
    -Rice
    -Milk
    -Sugar
    -Butter

Pour the rice in a bowl (like a cereal sized one), filling it about half way. Then pour milk in. Add some butter and sugar. Pop it in the microwave for a minute, add a little more sugar and stir. Enjoy.

It sounds weird, but it's actually really good, lol.

Thank you for making this thread!
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

okay, I don't know if this was already posted, but I'll teach you how to make great cevapcici!

First you need chopped meat. what kind of meat depends on your personal taste. i love it beefstyle.

750g is enough to kill yourself and a friend of yours.

now you need a lot of garlic (as much as you like, I usually use 4 cloves), 2 red paprikas, one white bun, salt and pepper.

remove the insides of the bun and put that stuff into water. you can throw the outer crust away if you want.
    now, cut the garlic into small small small pieces, cut the paprika as well into small small pieces. Now mix everything together (including the wet bun). And mix it good and hard for a long time, until everything becomes one "paste". The bun should totaly fuse with the meat. Now add salt and pepper. Mix again for a few minutes. (Use your hands, nothing else).

Now put everything into your fridge over night.

The next day, you can make small rolls of meat and then simply fry them. I like them medium, but most of the other people like them well done. Depends on your personal taste again.

Serve it with french fries, ajvar, bread, red rise (djuvec rise) and raw onion cubes.

enjoy the best meat meal ever.

Last edited by StayTuned; 2011-07-02 at 08:53 PM.

This might be rather unconstructive, but i'm going to Canada in 3 weeks or so and i'll be doing helluvalot of BBQ'ing, could you suggest anything interesting to barbecue? it's most likely gonna be on a gas grill and not charcoal :/ Done various things like Swordfish, trout, steaks and such, but any specific cuts/preperations you can suggest?

Deleted
    I usually make a (very) simple chicken with curry when I'm tired and cba anything that takes any effort. Do you have any suggestions for stuff I could add to this for variety?

This is how its made:

Frying pan > a little oil > wait until hot > .5 teaspoons of curry/person > chicken > wait about 5 minutes > add 2 dl water/person > add some salt > add some pepper > add 1 (or 2) grated apples > add appropriate amount of chicken broth > add .2-.5 dl cream/person (add cornstarch mixed with water for a thicker sauce) and just wait until the rice is ready.

Great thread btw.. I'm very hungry now
    Last edited by mmoca172a76622; 2011-07-02 at 09:11 PM.

I have bell peppers, chicken breasts, green onions, a regular onion, lots of spices, chedder cheese, american cheese, a little bit of butterkase cheese, pineapple juce, coca cola, orange juice, some udon noodles, and carrots, also chunky peanut butter, teriyaki sauce, a few liquers, smooth peanut butter, and lots of sauces, spices and extracts. I expect a 4 course meal for this ingrediant list!

I forgot to add bread and ritz crackers.

My madras curry

15-20 mins preparation, 90-240 mins cooking time

Ingredients

stewing meat (pref. lamb because it works best)
    2 large onions, finely sliced
    cumin (1 table spoon)
    coriander (1 table spoon)
    star anise (2)
    Cardamon pods (4-6)
    turmuric (1 table spoon)
    freshly crushed garlic (1-2 cloves)
    finely chopped root ginger (4-5 cm of a decently sized root) (not powder, that stuff is vile)
    chillies (doesn't really matter what sort, ours are small and red) depending on the chilli and how hot you want it 1-6
    Lime juice, fresh if you can get hold of it. otherwise the stuff out of a bottle will do.
    salt and pepper to taste

veggies:

dry roast the coriander, cumin, bruised cardamons and star anise.
    take the coriander, cumin out of the pan, add butter and the finely sliced onions. Fry until onions are browning.
    Add the garlic and ginger, fry for a few minutes
    Grind the coriander and cumin that you roasted, add the turmuric and chillies and with a little water and butter mix it to a thick paste
    Add to the pan and leave it until the water in the paste has evaporated (about 30 seconds). Salt and pepper can go in now too.
    Add the meat, fry until browned all over.
    Add a little hot water
    Cover and leave to simmer for 120-180 minutes. If you cover the pan with foil and then place the pan lid on top of that, it pretty much seals the pan and makes the gravy taste better
    Add a fairly well heaped tablespoon of tomato puree to the curry - this makes it thicker
    Add a tablespoon or two of lime juice.
    Leave to simmer for a further 30-40 minutes.

The curry should have a fairly thick gravy, so do not over-compensate for evaporation. That said, if it boils dry and starts to burn, you can pretty much throw it away.

Serve with freshly cooked basmati rice, naan breads and poppadums. You can buy the latter two in any asian food store. Lager goes very well with the curry, red wine does too. You can also make a raita out of natural yoghurt and grated cucumber (basically you can put anything you like in it, crushed garlic, mint leaves, spices...) to cool off the curry which can be rather hot.

Tip: Do NOT breath in the vapour given off by the chillies when they are cooking - your throat will be burning for about 15 min and you will find it very hard to breath. If this happens, gargle some full fat milk - Capsaicin (the chemical that makes chillies spicy) is fat soluble, as are the spice flavours (which is why you mix them with a little butter). Water just spreads the spiciness around and just makes it worse.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-01 at 12:01 AM.