Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Khaowdruid View Post
    Any other slam/brutal death/etc. fans? This stuff is so much fun, I love it. It's not deep, it's not masterful, it's not epic, but dammit if I can't help but bang my head.
    I enjoy the slamz alot. I was huge into Brutal DM then for some reason it started getting annoying and gave me headaches.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

Forgot also..

Arkona: Goi, Rode, Goi!
    Impurity: Necro Infamists of Tumulus Return

Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    And I wasn't even trying to be like "Oh look at all these obscure bands" I genuinely like all these bands and have found and searched for them.
    Nice. All of my old friends where sick musicians so they knew of these bands and just told me about then in my high school days!

10+ Year Old Account
    current favs for me are:
    mastodon
    Machine head
    Allgaoch
    primordial
    baptized in blood
    Howl
    In Flames
    Isis
    Neurosis
    Scar symmetry
    Sybreed
    Trivium
    white Zombie
    gojira
    skeletonwitch
    Before the Dawn
    Killswitch engage
    old school metalica
    Dethklok
    five finger death punch

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Opeth
    2. Nevermore
    3. Fear Factory
    4. Slayer

Deleted
    Favs bands:

Blind Guardian
    Manowar
    HammerFall
    Symphony X
    Sonata Arctica
    Dream Theater
    Stratovarius
    Iron Maiden
    Rhapsody of Fire
    Finntroll
    Turisas
    Korpiklaani

10+ Year Old Account
    Favourite bands with embedded youtube (mod remove w/e to big)

In Flames:

Origianal, awesome swedish gothenburg melodic death metal. Even though there are no "original" members in the band I find them the best band in the world in whatever scenery (that's probably just me though). The extreme diversity in their songs overall and the vocal diversion of Anders Fridén gives me the creeps. Old or new, In Flames we trust!

(Couldn't go with just one, so here is two of my faviourite tracks, respectively from 2000 and 2011)

Sonic Syndicate:

Another gothenbourg metal band, the thing I like about this band is how the two vocals fill eachother. Also their bassist are Hawt.

Kvelertak:

Norwegian metal band! (Yay me). These guys step away from the "usual" Dark and Death metal (Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir to name a few). Their music is extremely complex with three guitars. You probably wont understand the lyrics cause they are in norwegian, but heck, I don't even understand them. Even so it's an amazing band.

Amaranthe:

Swedish band agian! This one is relatively new and is not that well known. Their line up is also fairly unique: Three vocals, bass, guitar and drums. The vocals are respectively scream man, clean man and clean woman (rough said).

Last but in no way least!

Eluveite:

This band is acutally (wait for it) a swiss folk metal band. Using instruments such as violin and flute in their metal and also singing some songs or parts of them in Gaelic, gives them a unique sound. Even if it sounds wierd, I challenge you to try it out. Worst case scenario is that you don't like it

Any questions or feedback appreciated
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

High and low rated PvP videos. Intention of being fun and educating (at times)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so surprised. Crud, crap, Kvelertak, Crap, crud.

Imo at least. Clayman was probably the last time In Flames sounded remotely interesting, far as I'm concerned. The rest of the list just reinforces that and then you have some weird band in between. Missed Kvelertak the last time I had the chance as the queues to get into the festival were just stupendous. A real shame from what I heard. Love the CD, would've liked to see 'em live.

Ulcerate released the best metal album this year and no one should debate this. The Destroyers of All should be listened to by all.
    Missed this the previous time round. I completely agree it is an awesome CD. I am struggling a bit to really get into it due to the vocals though. And personally, I prefer Deathspell Omega who use much of the same techniques, but in a Black Metal setting.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2011-08-22 at 09:20 PM.

Metal without Gorguts isn't metal.

or more Neurosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I'm so surprised. Crud, crap, Kvelertak, Crap, crud.

Imo at least. Clayman was probably the last time In Flames sounded remotely interesting, far as I'm concerned. The rest of the list just reinforces that and then you have some weird band in between. Missed Kvelertak the last time I had the chance as the queues to get into the festival were just stupendous. A real shame from what I heard. Love the CD, would've liked to see 'em live.

Missed this the previous time round. I completely agree it is an awesome CD. I am struggling a bit to really get into it due to the vocals though. And personally, I prefer Deathspell Omega who use much of the same techniques, but in a Black Metal setting.
    the thing is I love death metal with a awesome atmosphere like Immlation or Incantation. Ulcerate takes the groundwork laid by those bands and ratchets the atmosphere up. Plus the songs are ridiculously heavy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, I just think the vocals are a bit too monotonous for such music. Deathspell Omega use the same quarter tones to create an awkward atmosphere except their vocalist has a much wider range of sounds. That and I just like their songs better. They're... more free flowing in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Absolutely, I just think the vocals are a bit too monotonous for such music. Deathspell Omega use the same quarter tones to create an awkward atmosphere except their vocalist has a much wider range of sounds. That and I just like their songs better. They're... more free flowing in a way.
    I understand that totally but I've been listening to DM for so long I'm just accustomed to the vocals even though they can be grating in some bands I like Ulcerate's vocals quite a bit.

In Flames
    Sonic Syndicate
    Bring Me the Horizon (fuck the haters)
    Cannibal Corpse
    Falling in Reverse
    Escape the Fate
    Mastodon
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Amaranthe
    Motionless in White
    Atreyu
    As I Lay Dying
    Avenged Sevenfold
    We Came as Romans
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Attack Attack
    Korn

gods of metal forgive me if i forgot someone
    Last edited by DerpderpHAMMA; 2011-08-22 at 10:56 PM.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

I spent some time today listening to Alcest. I'll need a few more listens, but I may have to make the verdict that Black Metal isn't Black Metal without Neige.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I spent some time today listening to Alcest. I'll need a few more listens, but I may have to make the verdict that Black Metal isn't Black Metal without Neige.
    gotta love shoegazing black metal.

I've always been turned off by black metal vocals

Jesus christ what is that smiley oh god kill it with fire

gotta love shoegazing black metal.
    + post-rock too! It's cool because Black Metal is such an extreme subgenre focused so heavily on being absolutely dark (Deathspell Omega comes to mind), but the blending of other genres to make something beautiful is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I've always been turned off by black metal vocals

Jesus christ what is that smiley oh god kill it with fire
    They aren't so bad but I barely like any black metal and the stuff I do it's not even the tr00 stuff at all. Like Xasthur, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice and Nactmystium.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days I don't listen to metal. I sort of grew out of it and realized with my musical training the more melodic and balanced music suited my taste, but in terms of what I did listen to back in highschool;

Disturbed
    Slipknot
    Metallica
    etc. etc. (AKA nu metal)

I've grown out of that and began appreciating more interesting bands like Radiohead, Soundgarden, David Bowie, The Flaming Lips, etc.

I find so many people that listen strictly to metal are uninteresting and need to vary their tastes and listen to a few more things with an open mind instead of adhering to the same genre daily.

The bullshit grunty vocals always annoyed me and requires no talent, sorry but it's true. Screamy grunty shit is just that; shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahpewpew View Post
    I refuse to give away my freedoms to be safe from decisions I make that affect myself.
    Good communities sometimes trump questionable staff.

I am aware sometimes I dont include apostrophes. My work keyboard is missing the button. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
    These days I don't listen to metal. I sort of grew out of it and realized with my musical training the more melodic and balanced music suited my taste, but in terms of what I did listen to back in highschool;

Disturbed
    Slipknot
    Metallica
    etc. etc. (AKA nu metal)

I've grown out of that and began appreciating more interesting bands like Radiohead, Soundgarden, David Bowie, The Flaming Lips, etc.

I find so many people that listen strictly to metal are uninteresting and need to vary their tastes and listen to a few more things with an open mind instead of adhering to the same genre daily.
    Most metalheads I've encountered have a good understanding of all types of music. I'm one of those kind of dudes.