Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Chain smoking and caffeine will give you cancer/neurological problems. Being overweight and not getting enough exercise will give you diabetes and other weight related problems such as early heart attacks (even if you're eating healthy). Exercising too much will give you early arthritis and joint/bone problems.

Living will cause you to get harmful diseases later in life. Doing anything is potentially fatal/life shortening, and the only way to prevent this is to live a boring, uneventful life.

I'm not advocating or defending smoking/drinking caffeine, nor do I do them myself. I hate smoking and I avoid caffeine at all costs unless I need that extra kick (maybe 1-2 times a month), but to knock one person's way of life over your own equally destructive way of life is narrow minded.

Deleted
    Believe it or not, I quit overnight, (without any withdrawal effects) after reading a 150 page book.
    It's largely willpower which will break a nicotine addiction. I'm assuming because you read a book on it that you were already mentally preparing yourself for the process. I,too, quit overnight but that was a date that I had already set for myself so I could psych myself up for it.
    Chain smoking and caffeine will give you cancer/neurological problems.
    Again, I have never heard of a direct correlation between caffeine and cancer/neurological problems. Most I've heard is an association but those studies also showed caffeine reducing cardiovascular problems and reduced chances of developing diabetes. I am very much of the opinion that the jury is still out on the health side-effects of caffeine
    Last edited by mmoc6765cb3ae1; 2011-12-22 at 12:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally am torn on the matter of people living unhealthy and still getting all our percs regarding healthcare (I live in Sweden).
    I firmly believe in healthcare for everyone as a baseline. Things become more complex when people 'on purpose' ruin their health, for example smoking.
    Where does one draw the line?

Speaking of that, the other day I watched some documentary regarding some rescue of some mountain climbers who got injured and stranded on some freaking mountain.
    Do I want my taxes to go to people who deliberately gamble with their life like smoking or unaturally climb up some mountain? No I would prefer that wasnt the case.
    Obese people? It is unhealhty for sure but on the other hand there are people just eating like retards and those with a medical condition who cant be blamed.
    Should smokers get free healthcare that equals the money to give a heart transplant to 100 people per year (in my country).
    Hell no, fuck em. Then again how do we know person x fucked up her longs due to smoing (speaking of a less obvious case) or that person x is obese due to being an idiot?

Would it cost more to get to know all these things, not to mention invading privacy compared to just give them the healthcare?
    Bottom line, it is easy to have an opinion. Harder to have a solution
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

If you were able to quit smoking overnight with absolutely no withdrawals, I think it's safe to say that you were never actually addicted to nicotine. I won't assume the reason; it could be that you're somehow resistant to nicotine addiction, or perhaps you didn't smoke that much, or many, many other possibilities.

But the list of common withdrawals is long and often severe, including headaches, sweating, and other general flu-like symptoms, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, depression, etc. These symptoms can typically last for about 6 months with varying intensity.

It's awesome that you were able to quit smoking, and it's great that it was simple for you. But you seem to be in a very small minority.

I don't smoke (Cigarettes) but I DO drink a lot of coffee. There's rally nothing wrong with it, especially black coffee, which I mostly drink.
    It's way better than soda/pop. As long as you don't fill it with a fuck ton of sugar.
    And it's better than those shitty energy drinks.
    I'm still doing fine. Been drinking coffee since I was like 12. I'm 20 now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MustacheSnowglobe View Post
    Lol what a pathetic thread. I guess I'm one of those people since I drink around 5 cups of coffee and smoke a pack a day. I'd rather do all that then be fat. and if I have to hear one more time about how smoking causes cancer I think I'm gonna throw up a bunch of tar and cancerous tumors all over the room. Though fortunately for me I don't associate with people that like to get on high horses.
    You don't have to be so extremely sensitive about it.

10+ Year Old Account

I smoke a pack a day, and get by on i'd estimate 5 cups of coffee a day roughly, I work when busy 16 hour days constantly, and when not working i train very hard, i'm 202lbs, 8% body fat, I agree that i've hit a wall of fitness that i'll never be beyond without quitting smoking but I believe there are far worse things to do to your body, like ignoring it for example.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbyr View Post
    If you were able to quit smoking overnight with absolutely no withdrawals, I think it's safe to say that you were never actually addicted to nicotine. I won't assume the reason; it could be that you're somehow resistant to nicotine addiction, or perhaps you didn't smoke that much, or many, many other possibilities.
    But, it wasn't just me. Both my sons, my brother in-law, and my best mate all quit without any trouble after reading the same book. Are you saying that we all weren't addicted to nicotine? Quitting is only as hard as you make it. If you have the right frame of mind it's very easy.

How is coffee bad for you, seriously? There are quite a few recent studies saying coffee is actually quite healthy – full of antioxidants.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
    How is coffee bad for you, seriously? There are quite a few recent studies saying coffee is actually quite healthy – full of antioxidants.
    You get illcolored teeth and have to go and get a dental bleech
    Wont cost any taxmoney but it still is bad!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

What about people that constantly smoke marijuna and chug gatorade like its going out of style? Am I safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    But, it wasn't just me. Both my sons, my brother in-law, and my best mate all quit without any trouble after reading the same book. Are you saying that we all weren't addicted to nicotine? Quitting is only as hard as you make it. If you have the right frame of mind it's very easy.
    I admitted to not knowing how or why it was so easy for you, but I also know that for many people quitting is very, very hard and for many people relapse is extremely likely. Everyone is different, I guess, and for some people getting in the right frame of mind is not so easy. To a lot of people addictions become so completely physically and mentally overbearing that that first step toward quitting is more like a mountain.

Also, what is the title of this book you read? I'd like to check it out to see if I might want to suggest it to a few of my friends who are struggling with quitting cigarettes. It sounds like a good resource.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbyr View Post
    Also, what is the title of this book you read? I'd like to check it out to see if I might want to suggest it to a few of my friends who are struggling with quitting cigarettes. It sounds like a good resource.
    Allen Carr's: The Easyway to Quit Smoking. Hope it helps. Everyone I know that has read that book, has quit smoking within days.

sure some people live long and relatively healthy lives, while being smokers and drinking coffee or w/e

but you're not doing yourself any favours by living that way

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people aren't scared to die. I party. I smoke. I drink. I smoke weed. What's the point of eating greens and drinking tea? We are all gonna die. I'd rather have fun.
    "Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
    -Carl Sagan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Who says I hate? I just find it a shame to see them waste away like that.

Assumptions are assumptions.
    I don't see any point in making a thread like this. What exactly do you want with this thread besides pointing fingers?

I don't care what they do to their own bodies on their own time, not even a little bit. They could do crack for all I cared.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Not really, I make mostly fun threads, and yeah I made those threads because I need to vent and I am a control freak after all...

Don't get personal here, that's not what it is about. Getting personal and talking about my post history is low imo.
    Lol call me out on my post count and name then get defensive when I point out I've been on the forums longer. K.

But I digress, still, just let your friends drink coffee and smoke, it's their lives.

Oh and I just find it humorous that every time I see a thread having to do with something that seems like an interesting topic, it was started by you.

No intentions to insult you, I generally enjoy reading how random people would go about these things, I just call it how I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?

Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Quote Originally Posted by champ3000 View Post
    Some people aren't scared to die. I party. I smoke. I drink. I smoke weed. What's the point of eating greens and drinking tea? We are all gonna die. I'd rather have fun.
    Yes, we all die; but those who don't indulge in those habits are more likely to die significantly later and have a much higher overall quality of life/health.

And if you can't have fun with doing drugs then I pity you.