Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is chatbubble in Guildwars2?

I loved the /say chatbubble in WoW.
    I always used that, in raid, groupchat. (Lucky Partychat got chatbubble now too).

But what about Guildwars2? Will it be same as WoW, chatbubble above your head?

Deleted
    I don't think there's any videos out there that show people actually talking like that.

Although NPC's do have the chat bubbles, so it is a possibilty that it's there.

There is no /say in GW2. Your character does say some things in relation to an ability (such as "For Great Justice") but other than that there are no player chat bubbles

There currently is no /say feature, but I think that if enough people express that they want it put into the game, then ArenaNet will probably listen. I think that not having it will hinder people who RP quite a bit, since they would either have to RP privately through whispers, or through general chat for everyone to see. It worked in GW1, but it doesn't make sense to not have it in GW2, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not figure out how chat works. In WoW, I know who's talking by the bubble above your head, but there is no bubble in GW2. Also, the only two chats I discovered were party and local (as well as whispers). I have no idea how far local travels. I also don't know how it works in WvW, I seemed to be able to talk to people that were on the other team and some times there names were red, and sometimes there names were green.

I hope I'm not breaking the NDA with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I could not figure out how chat works. In WoW, I know who's talking by the bubble above your head, but there is no bubble in GW2. Also, the only two chats I discovered were party and local (as well as whispers). I have no idea how far local travels. I also don't know how it works in WvW, I seemed to be able to talk to people that were on the other team and some times there names were red, and sometimes there names were green.

I think the NDA was lifted after the beta ended... Anyway, I know what you mean, but when their names are in red, that's Team chat, and green is the local chat. The only thing that really bothered me was that NPCs in the chat are the same color as the players :{

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post

Unless you're press, you technically are but meh

But not having a /Say chat is pretty sucky in my eyes. It's my favorite way to harass guildies mid fights. I probably type more in say chat when i play wow then any other, I'm not even a role player.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

IMO, CoH had one of the best chat systems I have seen in a game. Not only did it have the chat bubbles (which makes it much easier to hold a conversation*), it also allowed for a simple macro that would allow you to place an AFK message above your characters head. Press enter to begin typing, and have the message "Hold on, I'm typing..." show up above your character's head. Finish typing and press enter, and the AFK message goes away, now replaced with whatever you typed. This allows for a much better flow of conversation in both group play and in RP.

* I have never been one to sit and read the main chat window. I guess I'm usually too busy playing instead of reading, so the chat bubble system works much, much better for me.

All I know is that when you're in a party you can look in your top left hand corner and every time someone talks a chat thing pops up to next their character but the problem I found is that it didn't last very long and I wasn't aware of how I could re-check what they had said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they put in a /say with optional chat bubbles eventually. I like being able to talk to a few people near me without confusing the rest of the zone.

Deleted
    we will see in beta later in april then ^^ if they don't have the option, we could just send in some feedback

Deleted
    I hope they add them, it would make coordinating and communicating while doing DEs much easier.

Deleted
    I'd really hate it if they didn't have any /say. Having to look in the chat everytime someone close to you says something can be annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing ArenaNet they'll actually listen to the feedback and add /say

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Knowing ArenaNet they'll actually listen to the feedback and add /say
    Plenty of players do seem to enjoy this. I do not know what Anets specific reason is for not including it. But looking at SWTOR i believe they are adding that feature aswell by overwhelming popular demand.
    And if they truely make the game for gamers, then yes you'd expect them to take such feedback to heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Plenty of players do seem to enjoy this. I do not know what Anets specific reason is for not including it. But looking at SWTOR i believe they are adding that feature aswell by overwhelming popular demand.
    And if they truely make the game for gamers, then yes you'd expect them to take such feedback to heart.
    Well they added eye color to customisation, and have done heaps of additional work to dialogue cut scenes based on community feedback, so I don't think /say will be too big of a request for them.

The chat bubble for party chat appears on the party frame in the top left, i personally didn't like it, but it made it so yiu don't have to look around for the bubble i guess.

I personaly liked the way they made speaking in party. Like bubbles at the party portraits. But overall in world I don't really know. Sure sometimes it is good to say something to people around you but right now their system looks like helping the whole zone feel alive when people talk in general chat (which usually is dead in wow for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    I personaly liked the way they made speaking in party. Like bubbles at the party portraits. But overall in world I don't really know. Sure sometimes it is good to say something to people around you but right now their system looks like helping the whole zone feel alive when people talk in general chat (which usually is dead in wow for example).
    It's only dead because nobody is out there. You can do anything you need to do from a main city in World of Warcraft. You queue up to run dungeons, you queue up to go to battlegrounds, you can even queue up for raids, now, and pretty soon, you'll be able to queue up for quests. There is almost no reason at all to leave your faction capital.

Being able to speak to (and gain the attention of) those in your immediate vicinity is absolutely critical to roleplayers, and many gamers have an incredibly bad case of tunnel vision. I can't even count the number of times in SWTOR when I wanted to get someone's attention and literally could not, because my character not only didn't form a chat bubble when speaking, he didn't even do an animation to indicate he was speaking at all. Whispering didn't help either, because it had the exact same effect. And, sure, SWTOR's chat box is in a terrible location that lets it be easily ignored, but at least seeing a character on your screen LOOKING like they're talking is enough reason to check your chat box - it worked in early WoW.

I believe speaking animations, direct vicinity chat, and chat bubbles are all critical to the longevity of GW2. It is in ArenaNet's best interest to implement all of them.

If there's no /say type command, does that mean we only get zone-wide chat? That's really stupid. We'd have to form a group just for a few people to chat together without broadcasting the conversation to the entire zone.