Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    people like it because it has a little of everything to balance it out....

the show is god damn amazing, and this thread should be wondering why people like jersey shore, now thats a stupid show
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Deleted
    because mayim bialik and melissa rauch are very easy on the eye, as is kaley cuoco - add 3 hotties into a very funny ensemble cast wth great writing and you have TBBT as the result and the answer to this topic's leading question :P

Quote Originally Posted by slambulance76 View Post
    because mayim bialik and melissa rauch are very easy on the eye, as is kaley cuoco - add 3 hotties into a very funny ensemble cast wth great writing and you have TBBT as the result and the answer to this topic's leading question :P
    I agree with everything you said EXCEPT Mayim Bialik being "easy on the eyes". *shiver*
    She is very smart, funny, and talented, but I'd sleep with Jim Parsons before her, lol

Deleted
    Nah, she's got a 'quirky cuteness'

Agree with you OP.

Big Bang Theory is bad joke, after bad joke, after laughtrack.

Friends #1 sitcom forever. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have said it before but different people like different things. Big Bang theory is one of my favourite none cartoon comedy's, probably second right behind How I met your mother. To contrast the three shows you listed your self liking, AD is okay sometimes, 30 rock I don't like and CYE I really just hate. But I don't question why people who like those shows, like them, because they are different people to me with different tastes.

To list a few reasons I like it though.
    - Basing a lot of the story/episodes/plot around science.
    - The different character qwerks, especially Sheldon and Rajesh
    - Geeky jokes, super hero or star trek references etc, and their guests include the likes of katee sackhoff, George Takei and other Sci-fi show actors.
    - I find it funny.

For other people though you could easily take the above list change a couple of words and it'll read as a list of reasons why you don't like TBBT, we're all different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different people, different taste..

I don't like HIMYM, Friends, Jersey Shore... Loads of others do..

Have to admit that I haven't seen much of BBT lately and not the last seasons either.

Myself, I love stand up from Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor.. Pretty much all of my friends can't stand them. And vice versa, I can't stand their favorite stand ups ;-).

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slambulance76 View Post
    very true and miss Bialik, is quite fetching when she's not dressed to be frumpy... saw her on Conan last week me thinks... she's so cute!

Awful, awful TV show which naturally appeals to my brain-dead siblings, which says a lot. The logic/thinking/method behind it all can be understood easily:

-Hopeless nerds who think they're studs = OMG SO FANNEE
    -One hopeless nerd presented as a robotic social outcast = He is like a robot, so funny!
    -Insertion of scientific nomenclature to create jokes and scenarios that don't make sense= Big words! Laugh guys, laugh!
    -Filmed live in front of the world's most easily amused audience = The audience is laughing, that must make it funny!
    -Hot girl and nerd who possesses a sliver of hope for redemption shown to have an on-off relationship, often plagued by friends and others = Hey! That could be me, I am Leonard! So funny!
    -Awkward pauses as if to nudge the audience into laughing at the awful humour= They stopped talking! Now's our cue guys, laugh!
    -Stereotypes ahoy in the form of Indian guy who fancies himself a ladies man, and Jewish guy who lives with his mom who does everything for him = I can relate to at least one of these guys! That means they understand me, a part of the audience! Verily, I repay them with laughter!

And much, much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: Why do poeple enjoy The Big Bang Theory?

Answer: Sheldon Cooper!

The show being filmed in front of an audience does not in any way mean it doesn't contain "canned" laughter. Look behind the scenes of most shows filmed with an audience and you'll see that they actually hold up signs saying "Laugh now!" etc, that we don't see...... It's just a fancy version of canned laughter.

Anyway, I find the show painful to watch. Friends keep bothering me to try it, and I did, but it's just painful, I can't even keep watching it. And no, it's not because of the supposed geek humor hitting close to home or whatever, I'm a massive nerd and no problem standing for it, but the humor in the show is clearly not meant for geeks, but feels like it's meant for normal people to let them laugh at geeks.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Took me until season 5 to actually give BBT a full try. I had many people tell me before that point that it was funny and such, but never gave it a shot. Was bored one day and it was on and i have been hooked ever since.

Far as the laugh track goes, BBT doesnt use one so no biggie there. However i do feel you on this somewhat. There have been shows in the past that over used them, and it was painfully obvious at times. One of the shows that springs to mind the most was MASH. When i first started watching MASH i lived in england. For some reason there they had the laugh track removed on the show. So i spent some years as a kid watching this show with no laugh track. After i moved back to the US and watched MASH on TV i noticed right away there was a laugh track, and how horrid it sounded. To this day i still prefer to watch that without the laugh track.

Far as why i like BBT, dunno. To compare, sitcoms i have watched start to finish, every episode. BBT, how i met your mother, MASH, Home Improvement, shit my dad says(ended way too early ), Alf, Mork and Mindy, Cheers, and perhaps a few others here and there over the years. Few other ones i watched on occasion but not start to finish(even if in reruns).

i asked myself this same question once and i don't really now. i fucking hate all sitcoms besides 'fawlty towers' but TBBT is just fun to watch for me, even despite the corny jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to "walk" up to some of these posters and say: "Dear sir... what DO you enjoy? What makes you happy?" but I honestly can't pick one.

I've never seen such cynical, presumptuous, sweeping generalizations made about an entire community based on whether or not they find a themed sitcom funny.

Appropriate picture:

Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mirthen View Post
    Far as the laugh track goes, BBT doesnt use one so no biggie there
    yes it does. "Recorded in front of a live studio audience" and "laugh tracks" are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    I just want to "walk" up to some of these posters and say: "Dear sir... what DO you enjoy? What makes you happy?" but I honestly can't pick one.
    well said, and i LOVE that DG picture, lol
    Last edited by Youvegotfail; 2012-04-06 at 06:48 PM.

Deleted
    I like it because it's a very light sitcom, luckily in most cases my brain ignores the laughing track.

Humor is very subjective, your point of reference is the perfect example
    To give a point of reference, I love arrested development, 30 rock, curb your enthusiasm...
    I absolutely loathe those shows, especially Arrested Development, I think it's the worst crap out there even though I know the general public loves this show, I just can't stand to watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I absolutely loathe those shows, especially Arrested Development, I think it's the worst crap out there even though I know the general public loves this show, I just can't stand to watch it.
    It is not loved by the general public. It was cancelled.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like Big Bang Theory but yeah I agree I hate the laugh track you would think that they would have gotten rid of the laugh track by now but I guess they think the viewers can't pick up on some of the jokes.

bbt i think has one of those sign laugh tracks(ie a sign pops up saying laugh), its alright at points, there are a few things that turned me off from bbt(though to be honest i still watch it)

for those that don't like laugh tracks id suggest looking up the old series Titus which used to be on fox. Probably the best sitcom show ive seen in a long time(possibly even better than seinfeld at certain points)

I love it, it's just stupid at times and comical.