Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Michigan is DRASTICALLY overrated. don't delude yourself.
    Sure thing MSU fan :P Just wait until we get rid of Denard and get a legit passing QB in there next year. Enjoy being #2 again Little Brother.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Sure thing MSU fan :P Just wait until we get rid of Denard and get a legit passing QB in there next year. Enjoy being #2 again Little Brother.
    TBH im not sure why you keep using Denard...against anyone who can actually stop him on the gruond hes useless.

15+ Year Old Account
    TBH im not sure why you keep using Denard...against anyone who can actually stop him on the gruond hes useless.
    Because their backups are straight up lolbad. Gardner is a worse version of Denard. He just has to do good enough until Shane Morris gets to Michigan next year lol.

Deleted
    Michigan is DRASTICALLY overrated. don't delude yourself.
    They're not overrated in my opinion. They could be lethal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, Honey Badger...

Mathieu off LSU for drug use

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    LSU's dismissal of 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu from its football program on Friday came after the cornerback's repeated violations of LSU's substance abuse policy for athletes, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

Mathieu was suspended for a game last year for failing a drug test, and he had been undergoing counseling throughout the spring and summer, the source said.

At a news conference on Friday, LSU coach Les Miles said Mathieu's dismissal was for a violation of team rules.

Miles confirmed it was not a legal issue. "Both," he said when asked if the dismissal was because of a team rule or a school rule.
    The current rumor is he's considering a transfer to McNeese State so he can play this season.

Sigh. Kids these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Oh, Honey Badger...

Mathieu off LSU for drug use

The current rumor is he's considering a transfer to McNeese State so he can play this season.

Sigh. Kids these days.
    And preseason number 1 is going down fast. Course, they always do. Preseason ranking really means nothing. More proof that the SEC isn't gonna be as dominant this year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Preseason ranking really means nothing.
    Sadly the only thing preseason rankings determines is how far teams can expect to rise by the end. A team like Boise is starting this year in the 20s. If they go 12-0 or whatever it is almost impossible to get high enough to be a top two team from leapfrogging people. Preseason rankings shouldn't exist at all and they certainly shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on the rankings throughout the year. How they think they can rank teams without seeing a single one of them hit the field is a mystery. Whats worse is the preseason coaches poll prior to them even having any opportunity to see anyone else at all on the field or in practice lol. That poll is 100% based on reputation.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Sadly the only thing preseason rankings determines is how far teams can expect to rise by the end. A team like Boise is starting this year in the 20s. If they go 12-0 or whatever it is almost impossible to get high enough to be a top two team from leapfrogging people. Preseason rankings shouldn't exist at all and they certainly shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on the rankings throughout the year. How they think they can rank teams without seeing a single one of them hit the field is a mystery. Whats worse is the preseason coaches poll prior to them even having any opportunity to see anyone else at all on the field or in practice lol. That poll is 100% based on reputation.
    I agree it's why the preseason rankings always have Noter Dame in the top 10 when they didn't belong there. I could argue all day that the preseason ranking has to much power as far as who ends up where at the end of the season. I think they shouldn't put up a ranking till like week 3-4 just to let people know how good the teams are now instead of how good they have been for the last 30 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    The polls are silly in general, let alone pre-season rankings, as no real, established criteria govern the process for the AP and Coaches Polls. The AP ballot "guidelines" do advise not rating teams based upon reputation, yet that's almost invariably what happens anyway. Voters who do make their ballots public with any measure of commentary show that they're using different methods; some issue ratings based on who they consider the best team now, while others vote on their end-of-season expectations. The lack of standards drives me nuts.

I really don't think the Coaches should be participating anyway, since they're immersed in running a program of their own and can't be expected to survey the entire landscape, let alone do so objectively (or even fill out the ballots themselves, as other staff have admitted to doing the paperwork on behalf of the coach... they might as well let their kids do it in Crayola). Lane Kiffin's flub earlier this week is just the latest example of a long string of said stupidity.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I think they shouldn't put up a ranking till like week 3-4 just to let people know how good the teams are now instead of how good they have been for the last 30 years.
    I think you could even make a case to hold off on the rankings until most teams are halfway through their conference schedules. Three to four games in isn't even particularly useful since most D-IA (damn it's still hard to type "FBS") schools have just finished trouncing OOC nobodies.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 01:22 AM ----------

In other, more humorous news: Texas A&M supporters, in their unique brand of wisdom, paid to put this lone billboard up in Austin. Well, actually, north of Austin (Pflugerville). As if anyone locally gives a rat's ass.

Starved for attention, film at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol that's pretty awesome. In the next few years with the playoffs the way they are I bet more teams are going to put better teams on there schedule.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the next few years with the playoffs the way they are I bet more teams are going to put better teams on there schedule.
    A selection committee evaluating strength of schedule could at least finally motivate schools to quit booking FCS opponents in August and September. A quick look through the preseason Top 25 reveals at least a dozen such yawnfests on the calendar, like Oregon hosting Tennessee Tech -- Florida State begins their season with back-to-back lower-division opponents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't sure whether or not to post this, but I thought it could raise some questions http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...152612972.html

In short, random Bulldog fan calls a recruit who he thinks changed his mind about going to Georgia, tried to change it back. Turns out he didn't change his mind, but the "fan" went apeshit on their forums when they deleted his comment.

First question, how the hell did this random guy get the player's phone number? The article doesn't really bring that up, but that's some serious stalking potential there. Plus, they said they don't expect anything else to come of this and the problem is resolved, but who here sees something happening like the recruit gets punished for talking to a "booster"? If any random guy can call a high school/college kid and ruin his college days, then where do we go to change some of these rules?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    First question, how the hell did this random guy get the player's phone number?
    Probably Facebook. Searched his name and he probably doesn't have a private profile. Or he just Googled it and it popped up from him posting it somewhere. But man, some fans are just fucking stupid. This guy, the guy who poisoned Auburn's trees, etc., etc. I am as into sports as anyone else, but some folks treat it as a religion and go way too far with it.

Also, its the same secondary violation as a fan tweeting a potential recruit so I doubt UGA is going to get in any trouble over this. Tweeting recruits happens constantly and isn't an enforced violation because it is impossible to police.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-22 at 01:39 PM.

Deleted
    Hi!

As the NCAA football season is starting and the games air pretty late here in Finland, I was planning on purchasing a season ticket to Espnplayer college pass.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience on using the service. Can I choose and watch the games I want to see (GO OREGON DUCKS!) and is it possible to watch all the games from the archives?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    The polls are silly in general, let alone pre-season rankings, as no real, established criteria govern the process for the AP and Coaches Polls. The AP ballot "guidelines" do advise not rating teams based upon reputation, yet that's almost invariably what happens anyway. Voters who do make their ballots public with any measure of commentary show that they're using different methods; some issue ratings based on who they consider the best team now, while others vote on their end-of-season expectations. The lack of standards drives me nuts.

I really don't think the Coaches should be participating anyway, since they're immersed in running a program of their own and can't be expected to survey the entire landscape, let alone do so objectively (or even fill out the ballots themselves, as other staff have admitted to doing the paperwork on behalf of the coach... they might as well let their kids do it in Crayola). Lane Kiffin's flub earlier this week is just the latest example of a long string of said stupidity.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 01:17 AM ----------

I think you could even make a case to hold off on the rankings until most teams are halfway through their conference schedules. Three to four games in isn't even particularly useful since most D-IA (damn it's still hard to type "FBS") schools have just finished trouncing OOC nobodies.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 01:22 AM ----------

In other, more humorous news: Texas A&M supporters, in their unique brand of wisdom, paid to put this lone billboard up in Austin. Well, actually, north of Austin (Pflugerville). As if anyone locally gives a rat's ass.

Starved for attention, film at 11.
    Texas A&M is going to get absolutely SHREDDED in the SEC
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    A&M has to play LSU,Arkansas,Alabama,Flordia,and Auburn it's not looking to good for them.

A&M has to play LSU,Arkansas,Alabama,Flordia,and Auburn it's not looking to good for them.
    I see them finishing 9th in the SEC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably with the schedule they have West is so good atm there are going to be right about there with Miss and old miss but that's about it in the west and you can't discount the Mississippi teams they have been known to pull out crazy wins.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-08-26 at 09:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    MSU over Boise State
    Bama over Michigan

15+ Year Old Account
    MSU over Boise State
    Bama over Michigan
    Agree with both. I'm intrigued to see what Boise is going to be without Moore.