Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I believe it's required, creativity is what helps us evolve with innovative ideas but I believe it's harsh to grade people based upon it, some people have it and others don't it's as simple as that.

In exams over here we weren't graded based on how creative we were but the structure in how we wrote the story we created, in school conditions it's measuring how well you can write your own piece of work rather than analyzing and dissecting someone elses work along with your vocabulary and use of grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    See the problem you had is that you stared at a page for 45 minutes and didn't right a single thing.
    Well hell, I've taken a lot longer than that to get the ball rolling on writing, and almost all of the writing I do for work is highly technical. I kind of thought everyone knew that part of writing was learning to deal with the part where you just can't write for shit sometimes.

Deleted
    Lack of experience is the problem, you can't be creative if u don't TRY to create something (45min,blank sheet huh?), practicing is essential.
    P.S. and turn off your computer if u want to create, it's just a distraction;}

Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    So basically what I am getting here is that I am doomed to fail in life due to my lack of creativity.
    No one lacks creativity, my friend. We are all born with it. However, some of us are more creative in one field than in another. Writing, for example, is not a field you seem to be creative in. Neither am I; I hated it.

The problem here, is that schools do not give you a choice and just assume that everyone is going to successfully creative with writing. Sure, you could write down any ole' thing that comes to your mind, but what kind of grade will that get you? I couldn't tell you the number of papers I failed in school because I just wrote whatever I felt like writing.

If I were you, I would write about your extreme distaste for creative writing and how bad you feel you are at it. Name the character something ridiculous, but base the entire thing on real life. When it comes down to it, the most creative you could get in this situation, is by expressing your hate for creative writing. It'll at least be genuine. And if you get a bad grade on it, then it only confirms how restrictive our education system really is.

Deleted
    In a bunch of years, when you have grown up and are an Adult, you will look back at this thread and think:
    "Man was i young and stupid back then! This is so embarrasing!"

The "i dont like it, so it is pointless" attitude is very inmature

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I wouldn't say it's the lack of creativity, it's the complete unwillingness to learn to do things that you're not presently good at.
    Back to my previous point, you can't learn creativity. You can be taught math. You can pick up a science book and start reading. Not this, though. Not this.

Deleted
    Back to my previous point, you can't learn creativity. You can be taught math. You can pick up a science book and start reading. Not this, though. Not this.
    I'll repeat.

You can be creative by stimulating your brain to do creative things, so yes, in a sense, you can teach someone to be creative. Obviously, if you refuse to do that, yes, teaching you how to be creative is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    No one lacks creativity, my friend. We are all born with it. However, some of us are more creative in one field than in another. Writing, for example, is not a field you seem to be creative in. Neither am I; I hated it.

The problem here, is that schools do not give you a choice and just assume that everyone is going to successfully creative with writing. Sure, you could write down any ole' thing that comes to your mind, but what kind of grade will that get you? I couldn't tell you the number of papers I failed in school because I just wrote whatever I felt like writing.

If I were you, I would write about your extreme distaste for creative writing and how bad you feel you are at it. Name the character something ridiculous, but base the entire thing on real life. When it comes down to it, the most creative you could get in this situation, is by expressing your hate for creative writing. It'll at least be genuine. And if you get a bad grade on it, then it only confirms how restrictive our education system really is.
    And you can also do whatever you want! You can be president, or an astronaut.

The teachers and parents have to lie and tell their kids this crap, but I won't do it....

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    7-10 pages per story in intermediate school. Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    In a bunch of years, when you have grown up and are an Adult, you will look back at this thread and think:
    "Man was i young and stupid back then! This is so embarrasing!"

The "i dont like it, so it is pointless" attitude is very inmature
    That isn't the point I'm trying to make. I don't think it's stupid because I don't like it. Go back and read my posts and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Because whether or not math is right is not an opinion, and you need it to calculate the amount of money you need to not get evicted from your artists loft
    Like was said in an earlier post: art isnt just drawing and painting. One can make a damn fine living as an artist. I am currently working as a product designer and illustrator. The money is great, and for the most part you get to be creative and come up with a lot of cool stuff (not all fun and games though, depending on how dense your client is). The funny thing about dense clients i that they seem unable to think creatively; they cant visualize. They need to see pictures of everything in order to make up there mind. They have no imagination. Learning to think outside the box is very useful, even in non creative jobs. If you cant think creatively you are pretty much a robot; programmed to do things one way only.

To the art student asking about why the need for math: trust me, you will need it. Maybe not anything too complex, but geometry does come in handy depending on what kind of artist you are. As a product designer (not an engineer mind you) I find myself having to reverse engineer a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by summons inc View Post
    7-10 pages per story in intermediate school. Seems legit.
    I kid you not. Some kids had 20+ pages typed. I wrote an 8 page paper and got a B (minus if I remember correctly). I was in an advanced english class with a very bad brand new teacher with extremely high standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    In college one of my classes assigned a 12-14 page paper.

Several people wrote 30+ pages. A couple went over 50.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

Yeah. My mom was taking History education(or wtv it's called) and she always did almost 40 pages in assignments.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I can write a damn good paper. Last year I would consistently get A+'s on papers in my world studies class. And the teacher didn't just hand out those grades. Believe me. If I knew how to upload a word document to the web to show you guys, I would

Deleted
    That isn't the point I'm trying to make. I don't think it's stupid because I don't like it. Go back and read my posts and you'll see what I mean.
    i see what poaint you are trying to make and you are wrong

And the idea that creativity is something you have or not have is also wrong.
    Creativity comes from practise and the more you practise the more creative you become.

The trick is to start doing what you are supposed to do.
    If its paiting, dont sitt and wait for the "creatvity" to hit you, just start painting, paint anything and at some point it will come to you.
    If its writing, dont sitt and wait........................................, just start writing, write anything........................................................
    And so on. Creativity creates creativity wich creates more creativity wich............. you get it.

And dont fool yourself. Most jobs become 10 times as fun if you have the abilty to be creative. And life becomes 10 times as fun also.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

If I'm ever a professor (it's not out of the question!) and I assign a 12-14 page paper and someone writes a 30+ paper, I'm giving it back to them with a zero and not reading a bit of it. Learning to follow instructions is important.

I'm talking about creative writing, as in making shit up and writing it down in story form. Not being able to form a coherent sentence.

It teaches you to make shit up and have it sound believable. That is a very, VERY valuable skill.

Creativity can indeed be learned. Art can be learned, writing can be learned...all it takes is for you to actualy sit down and do it. Giving up after a dazzling 45min and then coming to the conclusion that it is a waste of time wont exactly help you learn anything. As I said earlier, 45mins is not that long.
    There is multiple books on how to write good, the same goes for art and design, but your inherit unwillingness to learn is what is holding you back the most...

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    It teaches you to make shit up and have it sound believable. That is a very, VERY valuable skill.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but fiction isn't written to be believable. It's written, for the most part, to be enjoyable.