View Poll Results: Do you support Marijuana legalization? (if so how much)

Voters
1380. This poll is closed
  • Legalized for everyone and children with parental consent

62 4.49%
  • Everyone 18+

612 44.35%
  • Everyone 21+

466 33.77%
  • Medical use Only

109 7.90%
  • Against marijuana PERIOD.

113 8.19%
  • Don't know.

18 1.30%
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Probably associating it with alcohol.

The drinking age used to be 18, and it still should be. If you can go out and die for your country in military service, you damn well better be able to sit and have a beer.
    Federally, it still is. Every state has a 21 drinking limit, though, otherwise be denied federal road funding. Kind of shady, really.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    How many threads here have been about Alcohol? How many times have You seen anyone bragging about drinking alcohol?
    there was a guy creating multiple threads on this forum almost every night about beer and being drunk. i think the mods might have broke him of that, but he still posts some doozies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornath View Post
    Having studied up a bit more and watching that movie I have to admit.. I see the benefit of legalizing it and that it is not as horrible as it is made up to be.
    I still don't believe it to be this "nothing will/can happen" drug, having seen people experience the warned effects.

So if I could I would indeed change my poll choice to "yes".
    I had my doubts about you at first, but you really did seem like you were interested in the topic and stuck in there. You were not alone in being misinformed. The biggest difference between you and most others is that you actually wanted to find an objective answer. I think that anyone that views this issue objectively will come to the realization that we have been going down the wrong path.

Thank you for being open to new information. I am sure that I could take a few pointers.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 07:56 PM ----------

How many threads here have been about Alcohol? How many times have You seen anyone bragging about drinking alcohol?
    Alcoholics can already go to the store and buy their drug of choice. They do not need to fight for that right anymore.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    If it is taxed too high, previous users will just get it from their previous illegal sources.
    You underestimate the industrialization of the marijuana industry.

Right now we have people who grow maybe 30-40 plants, hiding in their basement, with a few lights hanging around. With that said, the black market price of one gram of marijuana is $10 (varies by location).

However, with people not having to "hide" from the law, they can produce at a much higher rate, in a much larger environment (thousands of plants). This obviously leads to a massive drop in the price; some officials even saying it will drop the price by 80%.

What I'm trying to say here is that even if it was taxed was incredibly high, the price would come nowhere near the black market prices.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-11-29 at 02:06 AM.

I think it's perfectly fine. For anyone 18+ just have laws on it like they do alcohol. And no public form of it or anything. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    You underestimate the industrialization of the marijuana industry.

However, with people not having to "hide" from the law, they can produce at a much higher rate, in a much larger environment (thousands of plants). This obviously leads to a massive drop in the price; some officials even saying it will drop the price by 80%.
    This is another huge point that many ignore. Right now a large chunk of the money spent on weed goes to criminal organizations. Just imagine if potheads could stop supporting drug dealers and instead put that extra money into the economy. Less money going to drug cartels means more money going into our economic system.

If I saved money on weed it would go towards stimulating my local economy. Be it in local eateries or in goods or services. Right now I am willing to sacrifice entertainment spending to afford my greenery.

Which begs the question: why are Hollywood, chain restaurants, and what is left of the music industry not lobbying for marijuana legalization? Seems like they would be direct beneficiaries right where it counts. Potheads tend to be big fans of music, food, and movies.
    I like sandwiches

I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, and it should be treated the same way as alcohol and not cigarettes, so 21+. the Common Hop( the hop is used to brew beer for people who don't know), Humulus Lupulus, is in the Cannabaceae family ( Cannabis aka Marijuana Family.) Alot of people don't know that, or know it and find it false, well it's not. And yet beer causes more deaths, illnesses, and problematic addictions then cannabis could ever do. one of the main reasons why it's outlawed is due to one man, William Randolph Hearst. he was a Newspaper tyrant who invested alot of his money into the timber companies. He found out that the Hemp plant is very useful and inexpensive and will grow anywhere in any climate ( hence the name weed). he knew this would be bad for business, but it wasn't just him who wanted it gone, Dupont chemical Company had patented nylon, and wanted hemp removed as competition. and pharmaceutical companies could neither identify nor standardize cannabis dosages, and besides, with cannabis, folks could grow their own medicine and not have to purchase it from large companies.

That all happened 82 years ago, and honestly the war against marijuana is a bust and it should be legal. 1). the government can tax it, people would still buy it. 2). if legalized it puts an end to the many cartels multi million dollar business. you'd think they get all their money from cocaine and heroin but their main cash crop is marijuana 3). the plant itself can be used for clothes, rope, therapeutic oils, a form of petroleum. 4). it stimulates the mind and body of aches and pains ( like nausea and headaches) and can help people with eating disorders to actually eat. has cured or helped with other illnesses even certain cancers. 5). right now with the economy the way it is it could bring back some jobs and also create new jobs: electricians, plumbers, breeders, real estate. etc. etc.

Noone can tell me 1 thing wrong with it being legalized. "gateway drug" - lol no, I could take 5 random people give them booze and offer them cocaine and 1 of them will do it, same with Ecstasy, acid, shrooms etc. etc. "crime will go up" No it won't in fact i guarantee it'll go down i never met a stoner who'd pick up a .45 magnum over a twinkie or some McDonald's.

I feel as long as it's treated with the same respect they give alcohol, then it's fine. the person who smoked or consumed it is responsible for their actions. they smoke too much get burnt out while driving and smack into a tree or a building or ever hurt someone should be treated the same as a guy who is drunk doing the same thing.

smokin pot for 15 years and i don't plan to stop legal or not.
    Last edited by Mukor; 2012-11-29 at 02:33 AM.

Never been to high school, huh? Or college? Also, different drugs with different legal ramifications leads to less alcohol related threads. The biggest difference, though, is the fact that many people feel like they're some kind of rebel because they smoke weed and it's illegal.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    This is another huge point that many ignore. Right now a large chunk of the money spent on weed goes to criminal organizations. Just imagine if potheads could stop supporting drug dealers and instead put that extra money into the economy. Less money going to drug cartels means more money going into our economic system.

If I saved money on weed it would go towards stimulating my local economy. Be it in local eateries or in goods or services. Right now I am willing to sacrifice entertainment spending to afford my greenery.

Which begs the question: why are Hollywood, chain restaurants, and what is left of the music industry not lobbying for marijuana legalization? Seems like they would be direct beneficiaries right where it counts. Potheads tend to be big fans of music, food, and movies.
    There was an article a few years back highlighting the economic effect of legalized marijuana that was done by the top 50 economists in the country. They found the country would make a few billion just by taxing it and no longer having to pay court costs or money associated with investigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that it should be legalized for anyone above the age of 18 for recreational use, and for anybody of any age that requires it for medicinal purposes. Maybe if it were legal my siblings wouldn't smoke it inside in secret and make the house smell like crap. Also, I imagine that an extra source of government revenue by taxing the substance would be rather beneficial.

i'd legalize it, tax it, and give it the same regulations as alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robozerim View Post
    I'd say that it should be legalized for anyone above the age of 18 for recreational use, and for anybody of any age that requires it for medicinal purposes. Maybe if it were legal my siblings wouldn't smoke it inside in secret and make the house smell like crap. Also, I imagine that an extra source of government revenue by taxing the substance would be rather beneficial.
    Coupled with, as stated above by notorious98, no court costs for ridiculous trials of people caught with weed, lower costs of investigation as weed is no longer something they have to look for, and a laundry list of other things.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Legalize and tax it 18+. Not like it's difficult to get for people who really want it, and it would be nice to stop subsidizing prisons with small time drug users and wasting criminal justice resources on it. Extra revenue, less spending, seems like a no brainer.

Deleted
    Legalized ? Sure, works here in The Netherlands. Will it work ? Sure, for us Europeans it will.. we get more funny shit on tv about shootouts and weed. Will it work for the US? Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Legalized ? Sure, works here in The Netherlands. Will it work ? Sure, for us Europeans it will.. we get more funny shit on tv about shootouts and weed. Will it work for the US? Hell no.
    Why not America?

Something that I have been curious about. If you do legalize it do you release everyone in prison convicted of a crime in relation to it?

If it is ever legalized it needs to be taxed HEAVILY. I also find it humorous that the people against it are being "picked" on by those who are in favor of it without providing the same type of facts that are being requested from those who demonize it.

I see both sides and that there are benefits and problems that it could potentially create.

Voted 21+ same as alcohol. I remember when I was 18 some of the stupid decisions that myself and others made and know that the mind of an 18 year old hasn't evolved as quickly as some suggest as well suggesting that 21 is a better age. 18 to go to war is a tricky situation that I have mixed feelings on.

I think proper education is important but proper education on protected sex and the harmful side effects of smoking and alcohol don't seem to dissuade many either so I'm not all in on the fact that proper education would eliminate the majority of the abuse it could suffer from.

Regards,
    Cow

The only thing that can ease the pains i have is actually marijuana, i never take it though, except when my pain is really really bad, so i'm for it if it's for medical use, not for it if it's jusst to legalize it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Why not America?
    "Today a man gunned down his two daughters and wife after allegedly being high on marijuana". See the headlines ? Besides, they're uptight about pretty much anything. How will drug testing go in police departments now that it's being legalized ? There's no drug tests here in The Netherlands on police officers that i know of as it's not illegal to take drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Something that I have been curious about. If you do legalize it do you release everyone in prison convicted of a crime in relation to it?
    No, not automatically. It also wouldn't be in Congress' authority to do that either.

The president could always go on a pardon-signing spree, though they'd get one hell of a case of hand cramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    If it is ever legalized it needs to be taxed HEAVILY. I also find it humorous that the people against it are being "picked" on by those who are in favor of it without providing the same type of facts that are being requested from those who demonize it.
    I know the thread is rather long but you will find many many sources to the pro side of this debate throughout the thread if you look for them. We aren't picking on them without supplying sources. They demonize us, and call us lazy, unmotivated, and all other manner of things that are thought to be the stereotypical characteristics of a stoner, without having tried weed, or any idea how we actually live our lives. All they know is that the government, and probably their parents, says it's bad, so it must be, when the reality is that they are simply uneducated on the matter. Most people, once they do their own research will find that it is rather baffling why it hasn't been legalized yet. Even if you aren't a fan of getting high, the amount of good it could do for the economy and and crime rates is incredible.

I hate stoners.
    I'm against it.

And yeah, i'm against alco and cigs as well.