Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Ironically that is wrong too.

United States v Cruikshank actually states that the Second Amendment only guarantees the states the rights to have militias, not an individual right to bear arms. Presser V Illinois affirmed the US v Cruikshank ruling. Miller v Texas wasn't even ruled on by the Supreme Court because Miller failed to bring up Federal Issues only when appealing instead of in the first case.

The rest of these cases are all much later, aka end of the 20th century, after decades of political buyouts by the NRA.
    Where in United States v Cruikshank did the court rule this? The Supreme Court didn't even mention a militia in United States v Cruikshank.

Political buyouts from the NRA, rofl. Is that what we're calling the Supreme Court doing it's job, as opposed to following partisanship and disregarding the Constitution?

Move to North Korea

If you want to know how to have a REAL democracy and an active, politically engaged, armed and non-domesticated citizenry...Move to Switzerland.

Google "Gun politics in Switzerland" and read the wikipedia article that shows up.

This is the template our Founding Fathers had for America. Don't like it? Afraid of the responsibilities and complexities of true freedom? Move to North Korea.

Those who believe the Armed Forces and peace officers of our nation should be the sole authorities of the law, and have the prime right to possess thosefirearms necessary in the excerise of law enforcement, are ultimately misguided and naive.

The government cannot protect you when you need it the most.

Let's state this here: A law abiding and armed population is the best deterrent of crime. Comments?

Our opinions need to be much more refined and critical than the CNN/MSNBC garbage-rhetoric that's being regurgitated by so-called "liberals" these days, who really live in a naive and historically-ignorant worldview.

Read your history and get informed. Come back later and let's play some real hardball.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Where in United States v Cruikshank did the court rule this? The Supreme Court didn't even mention a militia in United States v Cruikshank.

Political buyouts from the NRA, rofl. Is that what we're calling the Supreme Court doing it's job, as opposed to following partisanship and disregarding the Constitution?
    Are you really, really, trying to tell me that US v Cruikshank ruling has nothing to say about the second amendment? I suggest you read the ruling again.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion2032 View Post
    Our opinions need to be much more refined and critical than the CNN/MSNBC garbage-rhetoric that's being regurgitated by so-called "liberals" these days, who really live in a naive and historically-ignorant worldview.
    Interesting that you said "so-called 'liberals," which is absolutely correct. How in the world did the left hijack the term liberal, a term that originally meant someone who supports a small government, including the right to bear arms and the free market, and turn it into a word that means the exact opposite?

You guys realize that Switzerland has conscription right? I mean seriously, that's your model for freedom? Mandatory military service?

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Interesting that you said "so-called 'liberals," which is absolutely correct. How in the world did the left hijack the term liberal, a term that originally meant someone who supports a small government, including the right to bear arms and the free market, and turn it into a word that means the exact opposite?
    It was the other way. Check out the southern strategy.

Are you really, really, trying to tell me that US v Cruikshank ruling has nothing to say about the second amendment? I suggest you read the ruling again.
    He did not state that it did not reference the second amendment but that it did not mention militia's in the ruling. I believe the ruling was pretty much as follows: the Second Amendment "has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government."

Quote Originally Posted by Orion2032 View Post
    If you want to know how to have a REAL democracy and an active, politically engaged, armed and non-domesticated citizenry...Move to Switzerland.

Google "Gun politics in Switzerland" and read the wikipedia article that shows up.

This is the template our Founding Fathers had for America. Don't like it? Afraid of the responsibilities and complexities of true freedom? Move to North Korea.

Those who believe the Armed Forces and peace officers of our nation should be the sole authorities of the law, and have the prime right to possess thosefirearms necessary in the excerise of law enforcement, are ultimately misguided and naive.

The government cannot protect you when you need it the most.

Let's state this here: A law abiding and armed population is the best deterrent of crime. Comments?

Read your history and get informed. Come back later and let's play some real hardball.

Peace.
    So you ignore everything posted in thread. Ignore all the current arguments, and post the same drivel that an armed population is the best deterrent without a shred of evidence. Fabulous.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phader View Post
    He did not state that it did not reference the second amendment but that it did not mention militia's in the ruling. I believe the ruling was pretty much as follows: the Second Amendment "has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government."
    Correct. The second amendment is binding for the federal government, but not the states. Now, suddenly, it is being brought up as binding for states and DoC as well as a right. You do not have a right to firearms. The federal government, in the second amendment, does not have the right to remove your rights to firearms. That does not mean the states or cities you live in do not have the rights to remove your rights to firearms, regardless of what the NRA believes.

Edit -> I may have mixed US v Heller with US v Cruikshank in my first reply about militias to him, and if I did so, I apologize.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-12-19 at 07:43 AM.

Also worth pointing out that Switzerland, that "gun in every house" land of guns-a-plenty, still has half the guns per capita that the US does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I asked it before and got not a single reply so I'll ask it again to the pro-ban people: How would you classify an assault weapon, and what would you do about the current "assault weapons" already in circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I asked it before and got not a single reply so I'll ask it again to the pro-ban people: How would you classify an assault weapon, and what would you do about the current "assault weapons" already in circulation?
    Rate of fire and magazine size is how the current Democratic bill defines them. They grandfather in existing weapons and make roughly 900 exceptions for various sport and hunting model weapons. This seems reasonable to me.

Additionally I would like a buy back program where you can trade in legally possessed grandfathered weapons for money.

good, hope it passes, please tell me what a "common man" needs with an assault weapon?......... they are instruments for war.

gun nuts will still have guns they can obtain, but sorry, no "ordinary person" needs an assault rifle..........

period.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Ill give you the definition that was stated in the original assault weapons ban:
    Assault weapon (semi-automatic) refers primarily (but not exclusively) to firearms that possess the cosmetic features of an assault rifle (which are fully-automatic). Actually possessing the operational features, such as 'full-auto', is not required for classification as an assault weapon; merely the possession of cosmetic features is enough to warrant such classification as an assault weapon. Semi-automatic firearms, when fired, automatically extract the spent cartridge casing and load the next cartridge into the chamber, ready to fire again; they do not fire automatically like a machine gun; rather, only one round is fired with each trigger pull.[2]
    In the former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-select-fire AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of cosmetic features from the following list of features:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
    Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    Detachable magazine.

This is the definition that was used in the previous law

Same Calliber gun both semi automatic. One legal under the original ban one not.
    Last edited by Phader; 2012-12-19 at 08:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Rate of fire and magazine size is how the current Democratic bill defines them. They grandfather in existing weapons and make roughly 900 exceptions for various sport and hunting model weapons. This seems reasonable to me.

Additionally I would like a buy back program where you can trade in legally possessed grandfathered weapons for money.
    Yeah, nothing like turning in a fucking StG44 for like $300.

Christ, I'm glad they gave it back.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Per the study linked in the article.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...articleMethods

People who keep guns in their homes appear to be at greater risk of homicide in the home than people who do not. Most of this risk is due to a substantially greater risk of homicide at the hands of a family member or intimate acquaintance.
    Also
    A majority of the homicides (50.9 percent) occurred in the context of a quarrel or a romantic triangle.
    Well, I guess I know better than get into a quarrel or a romantic triangle. Either way, this study uses data from 1992 at the earliest and only draws its data from 3 counties.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States the homicide rate has fallen a great deal since this study was done.

The data in used in the study is far out dated and is very region specific.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Yeah, nothing like turning in a fucking StG44 for like $300.

Christ, I'm glad they gave it back.
    Hahaha. Yea that was a cool story. Big evil gubberment! I'd love to be able to try shooting a StG44.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 02:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Per the study linked in the article.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...articleMethods

Also

Well, I guess I know better than get into a quarrel or a romantic triangle. Either way, this study uses data from 1992 at the earliest and only draws its data from 3 counties.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States the homicide rate has fallen a great deal since this study was done.

The data in used in the study is far out dated and is very region specific.
    Did you not read the entire rest of anything I've been writing? OF COURSE it is outdated, the federal government has killed all study into gun related deaths due to NRA pressure. Why do we spend so much studying why people die in car crashes, why they get hit when jogging, why they die at the workplace but we spend next to nothing trying to figure out why they die to gun violence. The NRA has quashed scientific studies that would lead to things like psych evals before purchasing a firearm because it would mean a few less firearms are able to be purchased.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-12-19 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha. Yea that was a cool story. Big evil gubberment! I'd love to be able to try shooting a StG44.
    I was with RICH on that one. The idea of some dumbshit gun buy-back program turning a work of art like that into razor blades makes my skin crawl.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I was with RICH on that one. The idea of some dumbshit gun buy-back program turning a work of art like that into razor blades makes my skin crawl.
    did i misread this? work of art? the StG44 = work of art? oh boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    did i misread this? work of art? the StG44 = work of art? oh boy
    It would be like the first jet engine for people who are into planes or the first ironclad for people who are into ships. Tolkien for people who like fantasy books and the first hard drives for people who like computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about fucking time yes?
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3