Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimJr987 View Post
    May as well say this.

No one under the age of 30 should lead a raid guild, and anyone that does should be forced to undergo a rigorous monitoring set forth by Blizz. If you act stupid or fuck your guild up, Your account is permabanned from WoW and your computer self destructs.

Hell, anyone who plays should be handed a copy of the Dictionary and forced to speak like a proper Gentleman or Lady. If you talk like a common chav, then we will happily treat your condition. You just need to pay us for the bullets and the gun to carry out the treatment with
    Cant tell if serious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamhead223 View Post
    Cant tell if serious
    Considering how many fail raid guilds start up, he's probably very serious.

Only need to experience a few "encounters" like that to come up with that view.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Age has nothing to do with this. Some teenagers are more responsible and mature than people twice their age.

If you are committed enough to what you want to do with your guild (so raiding, like you said), then all you need to do is find like minded-people who are able to show up certain times a week and give the raids a shot. As well as make leadership calls like loot system, how to deal with disputes between guild members, or talking to people about improving their roles on fights, etc.

In the end its what you want, personally I don't have the patience or commitment to get a guild going but if you're willing to wait it out and get a pay off, more power to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Considering how many fail raid guilds start up, he's probably very serious.

Only need to experience a few "encounters" like that to come up with that view.
    I imagine most of the raid leaders in the top guilds arent over 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    I joined a pug raid once years ago for Gruul's Lair and when the raid leader got on Vent, he sounded like he was about 14 years old. It was hilarious... but we gave him a shot and surprisingly, he knew what he was doing and was capable of making good calls. We picked on him in /trade for the whole rest of the xpac, but it was in good fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamhead223 View Post
    I imagine most of the raid leaders in the top guilds arent over 30.
    They're not 16, either.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Age should not play a role in how well you can play, but players in the 18+ range would not like to be knowingly bossed around by a 16 year old. It might be best to have a deep/stern voice that doesn't sound like Justin Bieber, and to not tell anyone your age, at least until you are succeeding or trust the players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, honestly...it depends on how much information you let your raiders know about yourself.

Alot of older people are going to be wary about their raid/guild leader being that much younger than they are. Many people don't really want to take orders from a teenager. It's probably more of a culture thing you're going to have to deal with.

However, I've known quite a few teenagers who were mature enough that it was near impossible to tell their age if they didn't mention school/parents/etc. If you don't tell your raiders how old you are or mention that sort of thing, they might never know and just follow your orders happily.

That being said, be aware that even if your obligations in real life are set right now, at your young age they can change rather quickly and you might never know when you won't have the time to lead that guild or raid anymore.

You could just let people know your age and decide if they are comfortable with it ahead of time, though. I'm guessing that would probably give you the best raid group for yourself because you wouldn't have to hide anything or wonder how they felt about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Violen View Post
    I dont think you can, or should. This isnt a challenge. You need to focus on school.

Really and what were you doing in his age?

Deleted
    I myself made my 1st raiding guild back in WotLK around T10 era, I must of been 15/16. If im honest, it sucked. While we had cleared ICC on 10m normal, 4 of us where real life friends and it felt like the older guildies didnt look up to me (the guild leader) and my officers who where the same age as me and we didnt exactly "bond" well due to the age gap. But I came Horde in Cata and took another shot at the guild thing when I was 17. It went alot better this time around we have a strong core team raiding since start of Cata, its MoP now and we are still strong.

Aslong as you yourself are ready to commit put some time into it and give it a go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    However, I've known quite a few teenagers who were mature enough that it was near impossible to tell their age if they didn't mention school/parents/etc. If you don't tell your raiders how old you are or mention that sort of thing, they might never know and just follow your orders happily.
    Until they're in Vent, and players hear puberty in the making, they will find out regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Until they're in Vent, and players hear puberty in the making, they will find out regardless.
    Some boys might be over that hump at 15, some may not. :P Depends on which group he belongs to.

Deleted
    Honestly, the age itself shouldn't be an issue as long as you feel that you've got what it takes. Age, though, is often linked to a situtation in life where you don't have full control of your time (e.g. school, parents and whatnot). If you think that isn't going to be a problem, there's no reason why you shouldn't give it a go.

What does age have to do with anything? Or are you afraid that a better player that's younger than you will call you out when you fail horribly in your raid?
    Just because you're older than someone doesn't mean you're superior and a player below 18 can very well lead a raid if he wants to and be successful.

I would say, if you know without a shadow of a doubt, how to lead the raids and fights, then your age shouldnt matter. If you voice will give it away, get a software program to change your voice lower or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    What does age have to do with anything? Or are you afraid that a better player that's younger than you will call you out when you fail horribly in your raid?
    Kids usually don't have the time commitment to stick with any task for long, point blank.

Let's take some examples:

1. Raid night and it's 10pm and dad comes in and tells your raid leader it's time to goto bed. Now the kid could defy his dad and stay online, but tomorrow when they notice the kid no longer is online (and perhaps permanently) it really is going to cause raid problems for 10+ of others.

2. Guild leader is online and it's 7pm and mom says he has to wash dishes, right in a middle of a raid officer's meeting. See the results above of the outcomes for defiance. That's going to cause problems for the whole guild.

This is why the suggestions for +18 for guild/raid leader positions, as they can manage their own time and commitments.

While not in WoW, I led guilds in other games since I was 16. I won't say I was the best leader, but I found a number of good people to join my guild. I lead raids and I'm one of the youngest, of not the younger is my groups now. Prove yourself a good leader, and you'll find people. If you know you can commit the time to this, then I'd say go for it. Maybe talk to your parents, say you'll be busy on raid nights so they know not to bug you then, and show how you're getting your homework/chores done in other times.

Age might be an issue for the older players especially the ones from vanilla or tbc. I know many of that crowd would take some major adjusting to a leader that never raided during what many perceive as the golden age of raiding. Even if you started in tbc that's 5 years ago and you say you're 16 or 17 that would make you pre-teen during that time. It's not impossible but I'd put heavy odds on you struggling mightily to become hardcore because those players will likely want a very experienced leader. Still if casual raiding is your game then why not try what's the worst that can happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    So me being a sophomore in high school, my raiding schedule is very late and short in order for me to keep up with IRL stuff and such, SO long story short, I've decided to make and (hopefully) maintain a late night raiding guild, I'm a very firm leader and know my way around raids. I loved raiding last year when my schedule wasn't clumped up and would like to continue doing so. So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.
    Many have stated your age would be an issue for vanilla players etc etc, let me break that myth. The only thing that would matter to me personally, would be your ability to perform (and lead properly, no emo outbursting), and that you are actually in charge of your own hours, so it won't come to; Sorry guys, parents being dicks, have to go off now or I can't use the comp any more.

As far as maintaining the guild, there's really only you that can answer it.., I guess it would depend on A) Your schedule, and B) The players you are able to attract, will they have understanding for how things are due to your rl schedule.
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2012-12-23 at 04:16 PM.

Being the GM of a raiding guild is what people do when they simply don't have enough misery in their lives, therefore they must create it to make sure something can piss them off in what would otherwise be a good day. Speaking from personal experience.