Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Wait thats a bad thing why? If no bowl system we end up with....playoffs. Which is what every single person in America other than greedy BCS assholes wants.
    It isn't a bad thing, but the BCS guys are the ones who get to make the rules so they obviously didn't want their giant lake of unearned cash to dry up They realized "Shit, we can let these teams in and still make a royal fuckton of money every once in awhile when they break in through their tiny window. We can still charge them millions in ticket charges and they won't hurt ratings that badly. Fuck it, we'll let them in if they break this complex code." Then they went over and chatted up Jim Delaney about the next BCS sponsored cruise for the conference commissioners and ADs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The illegitimate first down and subsequent righting of the wrong by Clowney, awesome.
    I'm ever so eager to know how that phantom first down will be explained by officials. Seriously, that's one of the most egregious errors I've seen since Colorado's 5th down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    and they won't hurt ratings that badly.
    Correction to this. Not only did NIU/FSU not hurt ratings, they were actually UP 44% from last year's Orange Bowl. So stick that in your pipe and smoke in Orange Bowl folks bitching about NIU while pretending that people were actually going to attend your bowl regardless of who was playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only did NIU/FSU not hurt ratings, they were actually UP 44% from last year's Orange Bowl.
    Haha, I'd certainly hope so! TV sets all over the country powered down in the midst of WV scoring 35 points on Clemson in the second quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    The AP Poll was included in the BCS rankings from the start -- until the AP sent them a cease-and-desist letter in the wake of the aforementioned controversy.

You're digging yourself quite a hole here.
    Usc won the ap, lsu won the bcs. The bcs gave us a national champion, i dont see what your point is. There were no co-champions that year unless your a die hard usc fan.

Correction to this. Not only did NIU/FSU not hurt ratings, they were actually UP 44% from last year's Orange Bowl. So stick that in your pipe and smoke in Orange Bowl folks bitching about NIU while pretending that people were actually going to attend your bowl regardless of who was playing.
    Ratings were up because it was actually a close game until the 4th Quarter unlike last year where WVU ran the train on Clemson from their first possession. Also did NIU sell all of their tickets? I remember when the BCS screwed up a few years ago and somehow an unranked UConn ended up in the Fiesta Bowl where they got smoked by Oklahoma by 28 points and I remember reading they didnt hardly sell any tickets. I guess even UConn's own fans understood they didnt belong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Usc won the ap, lsu won the bcs. The bcs gave us a national champion, i dont see what your point is. There were no co-champions that year unless your a die hard usc fan.
    Let's recap:

1. My point, which you originally quoted, is that the BCS has been fatally flawed since its inception. (Here's a handy list of problems if you need help understanding that.)
    2. You responded by trying to cast aspersion, naively suggesting that I must not watch much college football (hah!), and asserted that the BCS has been a success.
    3. I then pointed out that's not always been the case, citing a noteworthy example.
    4. Predictably, you responded by trying to cast aspersion on the AP, ignoring (or perhaps entirely unaware of) the fact that the AP was an instrumental part of the BCS formula for years, effectively negating your own claim in the process.

Now, you're tying to claim that there were no co-champions for the 2003-2004 season, which is rendered demonstrably false by consulting any database of recognized national championships, including the NCAA's. Needless to say, recognizing the split isn't contingent upon being "a die hard USC fan" (which I'm most certainly not), it's a matter of history.

In a nutshell, you were doing your best to suggest anyone holding my opinion knows little about college football, and in the process you demonstrated that you know little about college football. Bravo!

We were discussing putting and end to co national champions. The rose bowl wasnt the bcs title game no matter how hard people try to make it out to be.

The ap was a part of the bsc, as are the coaches polls. Coaches and bcs said lsu was, the ap said usc, then took their ball and went home.

The original statement that made you mad wasnt addressed at you, it was for people who havent been watching as long and didnt know how bad it was. It was an improvement allowing conferences who were locked into to specific bowls a chance to play each other for the championship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I remember when the BCS screwed up a few years ago and somehow an unranked UConn ended up in the Fiesta Bowl where they got smoked by Oklahoma by 28 points and I remember reading they didnt hardly sell any tickets. I guess even UConn's own fans understood they didnt belong.
    What you're calling a screw-up is the way the system was designed. UConn won their conference and as such automatically qualified. That their fan base (who struggles to fill their home stadium) doesn't travel well isn't an indication that they didn't "belong".

Let's say we had an ideal 16-team playoff. If schools like NIU or UConn make it into the bracket, are you still going to say they don't belong? I distinctly remember a certain Fiesta Bowl where people scoffed at the idea of Boise State being selected to play OU, and we all know how that turned out. Is there any reason you think underdogs shouldn't have that same opportunity?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I skip this part of the pregame. Not that I give a flying shit about our National Anthem, putting a beatbox sound to it has to be just despicably stupid.

That was an absolutely terrible national anthem. One of the worst I've heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    We were discussing putting and end to co national champions.
    Which, again, the BCS did not do. You can't just handwave it away and pretend it didn't happen.
    Even though it was remote, the possibility of a split championship existed last season too.

The rose bowl wasnt the bcs title game no matter how hard people try to make it out to be.
    It didn't have to be the title game. Hell, three of the voters in the Coaches' Poll, who are contractually obligated to vote for the winner of the BCS title game still bucked the system and cast first place votes for USC. Right or wrong, like it or not, the AP's final #1 counts as a recognized national championship.

The original statement that made you mad wasnt addressed at you, it was for people who havent been watching as long and didnt know how bad it was.
    Sure, that's why you quoted and addressed me directly and then followed up by arguing untenable claims over the last page. Because that was for other people.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    This is why I skip this part of the pregame. Not that I give a flying shit about our National Anthem, putting a beatbox sound to it has to be just despicably stupid.
    Holy crap, glad I missed that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a good start. Florida's defense making some bad decisions, and failing coverages.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 09:34 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmsix6 View Post
    The SEC beats mediocre lower ranked teams in what are effectively home games for them and we're supposed to be impressed?

Georgia beat a lousy 3 loss Nebraska team...in Florida (Georgia 10 point favorites)
    South Carolina barely beat a mediocre 3 loss Michigan team on a last second touchdown...in Florida (South Carolina 5.5 point favorites)
    Vanderbilt beat a crappy NC state team...in Tennessee (Vanderbilt 7 point favorites)

LSU lost to an OK Clemson team. (LSU 4.5 point favorites)
    Miss. St. lost to a mediocre Northwestern team. (Miss. St. 2.5 point favorites)

The SEC is a not so hot 2-3 against the spread. The SEC team was favored pretty heavily in almost every game.

and I bet (3) Florida can't wait to play mighty (21) Louisville! (Florida -14)
    They can't win, can they?

The SEC is overrated because their teams suck, even though they have the most 2-loss or less teams.
    The SEC is overrated because even though they have a winning record 9so far) in bowl games, they play "bad" teams.

I like how you call a top 10 Clemson team an "ok" team. Then what makes a "good" team? Top ranked teams? Guess what? Half of that list is SEC teams.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-03 at 03:13 AM.

First play of the second half and it looks like the game is over.

Florida calls for an onside kick, they don't recover, get 30 yards of penalties, and then Louisville scores on their first play.

Florida is really showing that SEC dominance right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, really?

Is anyone here not extremely biased and won't use every little thing as an excuse to bash the SEC?

10+ Year Old Account
    Florida got through with only one loss, didn't win their division or play in the SEC championship game, which by precedent, should make them national champions, so this is a surprising turn of events

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wow, really?

Is anyone here not extremely biased and won't use every little thing as an excuse to bash the SEC?
    When you have retards that scream "SEC! SEC! SEC!" in between their tirades about how all other conferences suck and that the only team that can beat an SEC team is another SEC team, you can expect there to be equally irrational push-back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    When you have retards that scream "SEC! SEC! SEC!" in between their tirades about how all other conferences suck and that the only team that can beat an SEC team is another SEC team, you can expect there to be equally irrational push-back.
    Then you ignore the extreme cases like everyone else, instead of blatant bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The illegitimate first down and subsequent righting of the wrong by Clowney, awesome.
    Except for the fact that the play should have been blown dead as soon as the runner's helmet came off, negating the fumble recovery. But hey, two wrongs make a right, or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmsix6 View Post
    Except for the fact that the play should have been blown dead as soon as the runner's helmet came off, negating the fumble recovery. But hey, two wrongs make a right, or something.
    Nope. The play is only blown dead if the ball carrier loses his helmet. Technically, when his helmet came off, so did the ball.