Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I agree. Tennant did the Dark Doctor very well, but it kind of went away with Matt Smith who sought to bring back the Silly Doctor. I'd like a better balance between the two, a doctor who can pull of the dark bit like Eccleston and Tennant would be awesome!
    I still would want that...quirkiness though, it is one of the things that makes the doctor unique.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I agree. Tennant did the Dark Doctor very well, but it kind of went away with Matt Smith who sought to bring back the Silly Doctor. I'd like a better balance between the two, a doctor who can pull of the dark bit like Eccleston and Tennant would be awesome!
    The "Dark" Doctor was done by Eccleston. The point of Tennants Doctor was coming back from that isolationist attitude. Smiths Doctor has been more along the lines of the Seventh Doctors "master planner" than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone see the Christmas carol thing a few years ago with David Tennant and Catherine Tate? :P

I'm sick of matt smith as the silly doctor...just think..no more him saying bow ties are cool...my god i can't wait

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Did anyone see the Christmas carol thing a few years ago with David Tennant and Catherine Tate? :P

I'm sick of matt smith as the silly doctor...just think..no more him saying bow ties are cool...my god i can't wait
    But...bow ties are better then normal ties! Can we atleast agree on that?:P
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Matt Smith is leaving? VICTORY! Muahahahahah!

my criteria for the next doctor : Eyebrows

Best scenario for me: David Tennant returns

Worst scenario for me: Matt smith has a twin brother taking the role, amy and rory come back and are featured prominently in every episode, seasons now only last 2 episodes and are split throughout the year.
    i really liked matt smith, i just dont think he was serious enough. and i didnt like amy but loved rory, wish rory and the doctor had some adventures by themselves without amy nagging at them.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 09:00 PM ----------

how many times has he actually said bowties are cool? like 3 times?

my criteria for the next doctor : Eyebrows
    Someone else picked up on it!
    Thank you.
    Seriously, it annoys the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...christmas.html

Looks like we'll be getting a new one, hope it's someone awesome.

Would quite like Benedict Cumberbatch to become the new Doctor tbh, could be played really well.
    Very sad to hear hes gonna leave

I must admit he has played the doctor impeccably with the zanyness of troughton and baker and the mysteriousness of the mccoy

The problem with playing the doctor is that its such an iconic role that typecasting is a real problem for actors who portray him

I hope matt smith all the best in his career

I know it's early, but Benedict Cumberbatch as the 12th Doctor?

10+ Year Old Account
    no Benedict would just be SSOOOO wrong for Dr Who, not to mention that him being in another show would make the gaps between Sherlock seasons even fucking longer

One name really jumped at me from the list linked earlier: Russel Tovey! Seriously, watch the early season of Being Human, or any season of Him and Her, the dude has GREAT range, he's able to do serious incredibly well, while still having amazing comic timing. I think he'd be excellent if they decided to go for a "darker" Dr Who with the 12th Doc, while still being able to pull off any fluffy, comedic episodes they throw at him.

Then throw in Sarah Solemani for his first companion, because I love her .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    One name really jumped at me from the list linked earlier: Russel Tovey! Seriously, watch the early season of Being Human, or any season of Him and Her, the dude has GREAT range, he's able to do serious incredibly well, while still having amazing comic timing
    It would be awkward to have a Doctor be a random actor from both DW and Sherlock. Not to mention I really don't like his style. I'll pass.
    BAD WOLF

i actually would not mind seeing a female doctor this go around

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...christmas.html

Looks like we'll be getting a new one, hope it's someone awesome.

Would quite like Benedict Cumberbatch to become the new Doctor tbh, could be played really well.
    dont believe it for second unless matt or steven says so for sure. articles exactly like this pop up pretty much monthly

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Aww wtf NO?! I'm very sad if this is true. I didn't get the vibe that he wanted to leave from that interview, just that he couldn't publicly comment on it.

And no on Benedict. People keep throwing this around because of his prolific rise with sherlock, star trek, the hobbit, but no. He is not right for this part at all. In fact, Matt Smith got chosen as the doctor because he wasn't quite right for Sherlock, which also means the opposite would be true.

Edit:
    I hope they don't do anything ridiculous like have an American Doctor now that it's popular over here, or try and have a female bi time lord. Not that there's anything wrong with that on it's own, I just don't want the identity of the doctor to become pandering to specific audiences just to be PC.
    i dont think the majority of people would actually mind other then the initial "ITS NOT RIGHT @_@" after its announced as long as he used an english accent.

if spider-man can be played by a brit then so can the doctor. and dont say its any different because spider-man is pretty much the doctor for america

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:39 AM ----------

im very very very disappointed in how so many of you are falling for that article. sure there is a chance its true however theres also a chance the 20 or so articles ive seen since matts become the doctor couldve been true. seriously never believe articles like this unless it has someone personally involved in the show saying so.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:41 AM ----------

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/another-mat...mour-46515.htm

read this, maybe some of you arent that into who but anyone who keeps up with the news has heard this a million times

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:52 AM ----------

also stop comparing torchwood miracle day to one actor playing the doctor. torchwood miracle was funded by stars which means americans helped MAKE IT, in this case it would be run by the same people just instead of someone like david tennant pretending to be english it would be some guy with from america pretending to be english. not to mention the bbc has a rule where they like to pick relatively unknown or not quit famous actors, its not like you would see some big name american as the doctor, you probably wouldnt even know he was american if someone didnt point it out
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Like i said playing the doctor is such a iconic role that its almost a kiss of death for any actors career

Matt smith would be wise to hang up his sonic screwdriver just like eccleston and tennant did before the doctor defines him cause hes a great actor and has great range and i believe he wants to expand

Its the reason shatner and leonard nimoy could never find serious roles after star trek they was just too iconic

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont think the majority of people would actually mind other then the initial "ITS NOT RIGHT @_@" after its announced as long as he used an english accent.

if spider-man can be played by a brit then so can the doctor. and dont say its any different because spider-man is pretty much the doctor for america
    Spider Man was my fav comic growing up and I can say 100% that he is nothing like the Doctor to me. Maybe for some people, but idk. We don't have any problems with British people playing our own Presidents, so I doubt it's very similar.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/another-mat...mour-46515.htm
    read this, maybe some of you arent that into who but anyone who keeps up with the news has heard this a million times
    oh shush, we all know it's a lie, we're just killing time before the season comes out speculating on who MIGHT take the roll.

As for the whole American Actor for the role thing...

I wouldn't mind as long as a) they were a good actor and b) they put on a good english accent.

When push comes to shove I only have ONE die hard rule for casting Dr Who. They have to be good! As long as they can make the often fairly rediculous scripts/stories seems believable and engaging, I don't care about anything as petty as race/gender/where they're from... That said, there are a few things we can reasonable guess.

They (probably) wont be black.
    They (probably) wont be a woman.
    They (probably) wont be American.

now sure there's no reason that Halle Berry (first american black actress I could think of ) couldn't take the part and play it brilliantly, in fact there's an oscar on her shelf that says quite the opposite, but Dr Who is one of the BBC Flagship shows and if there's ONE thing we know about the BBC and how they produce shows, it's that they don't like to rock the boat, when it comes to casting the doctor they tend to take the safest route. Whoever the next Doctor is played by (hopefully we don't REALLY have to worry about this for a couple more years at least) we can pretty reliable say it'll be a young white male from the UK. If the show was on BBC3 and aired at 10, then for all we know the next doctor could be anyone, but as long as Dr Who remains on BBC1 at 6, we can reasonably say they'll toe the line as far as casting goes.

Is this the best thing for the show? *shrug* who can say, but it's probably what will happen. It's the same thing that happens every time they cast a new Bond "He should be black!" "He should be a SHE!" and then every time they stick with the same general mold "White male, not to young, but not old who can do a passable english accent."

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, now that's just mean -.-

GIEF SATURDAY!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    oh shush, we all know it's a lie, we're just killing time before the season comes out speculating on who MIGHT take the roll.

As for the whole American Actor for the role thing...

I wouldn't mind as long as a) they were a good actor and b) they put on a good english accent.

When push comes to shove I only have ONE die hard rule for casting Dr Who. They have to be good! As long as they can make the often fairly rediculous scripts/stories seems believable and engaging, I don't care about anything as petty as race/gender/where they're from... That said, there are a few things we can reasonable guess.

They (probably) wont be black.
    They (probably) wont be a woman.
    They (probably) wont be American.

now sure there's no reason that Halle Berry (first american black actress I could think of ) couldn't take the part and play it brilliantly, in fact there's an oscar on her shelf that says quite the opposite, but Dr Who is one of the BBC Flagship shows and if there's ONE thing we know about the BBC and how they produce shows, it's that they don't like to rock the boat, when it comes to casting the doctor they tend to take the safest route. Whoever the next Doctor is played by (hopefully we don't REALLY have to worry about this for a couple more years at least) we can pretty reliable say it'll be a young white male from the UK. If the show was on BBC3 and aired at 10, then for all we know the next doctor could be anyone, but as long as Dr Who remains on BBC1 at 6, we can reasonably say they'll toe the line as far as casting goes.

Is this the best thing for the show? *shrug* who can say, but it's probably what will happen. It's the same thing that happens every time they cast a new Bond "He should be black!" "He should be a SHE!" and then every time they stick with the same general mold "White male, not to young, but not old who can do a passable english accent."
    i wouldnt mind the doctor as a different ethnicity however i just dont think a female doctor would work sure timelords CAN swap genders however regeneration is a slightly controlled thing and even though doctor says he doesnt like to choose how he regenerates i think subconsciously he cant help it, something comes through and i just dont see the doctor ever seeing himself as a girl and i think if he ever wanted to be a girl he wouldve done it by now.

again the doctor is very similar to spider-man, when miles morales became ultimate spider-man there was a small fuss from some people but overall most people embraced it, however if miles morales had been female i just dont think people couldve seen him as spider-man because hes always been spider-MAN

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 07:04 PM ----------

love a nice dark doctor vid

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 07:10 PM ----------

O_O i did not see that one coming @_@ MOFFAT!!!!!!
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-03-23 at 09:52 PM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Is is just me.... Or is Matt Smiths Doctor a bit of a pedo. he seems to spend an inordinant amount of time talking to young girls

and yeah TOTALLY didn't see that coming at the end... do you think she'll remember him this time round?

My most important criteria for the next doctor... NOT ginger. :P Look Doctor i know that you have never been ginger before but i doubt it would work for you.

Also, have never really understood the idea that Matt doesnt portray a dark doctor. IMO he has been the darkest of the new series doctors.
    Last edited by Pious Lemon; 2013-03-24 at 02:56 AM. Reason: More opinons