Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rift F2P - Time to leave

Have been a Rift Subscriber since the start. Believed the main thing that set Rift apart from other games currently was the community. I am concerned that the community will suffer from the influx of people who do not have a vested interest in the game that comes from a subscriber model. People will come and go on a whim and consistency and attitudes will suffer.
    What I especially fear is that the bad attitudes present in WoW will quickly flood Rift turning a helpful friendly game into a cesspool of instant gratification idiots (WoW, LoL)
    I additionally feel betrayed by Trion after renewing my sub for the next year. Not that it is about getting something, but the subscriber bonus' mentioned do nothing for the casual player.
    If they really wanted to provide a bonus, they could have a subscriber only realm where subscribers could create or move characters but F2P people were not allowed to make characters.

Lol bye!

Rift will be better off after it goes f2p. Sorry you can't see that.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaalyn View Post
    ... vested interest in the game that comes from a subscriber model.
    What I especially fear is that the bad attitudes present in WoW ...
    Yeh, not like wow is a subscriber model as well.. oh, wait.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone on the internet is upset!

On Topic: While I can't say I am a Rift player, I must still assume posting this on their Official Forums would have been a wiser solution. But then again I'm just an instant gratification idiot, what do I know.

That is how I read it as well Mudkiper lol

Deleted
    Yeah for me Zoo time to leave

Deleted
    Free to play is always a situation that is trying to balance between profit maximization (paradox i know but its the truth) and game integrity.

Free to play is not by default bad, but tends to get bad in the process.

The worse part a free to play game can have is "pay to win" features.

XP, Rep and Currency boosts, can be deemed as such features and they are, but not remotely as anoying for the true player, as gear being available for money!

This transition have a small detail in the conrner of its gift shop.

"GEAR"!!!

This is a thorn to game's viability in the long term, as far it concerns its current gamers. Those that are clearly pay to play as oposed to those that pay to win.
    It might bring more people in, but it is guarandeed to degrade the quality of community, and mmo is all about community really.

In a free to play game i can live with mounts, vanity items, vanity tittles not related to ones available for defeating content, even xp, rep and currency boosts i can cope with, but NOT with GEAR for MONEY!
    Hope this one wont make it to the live version. After it is live, it is already too late

Probably an unwise decision to leave an MMORPG because it transitions into Free-To-Play. Especially after paying $120 to the company to play the game for another year. As for the rewards you will get... You do know that they haven't announced the loyalty thing, which probably includes subscription bonus' or even announcing what they will do for subscribers yet. Don't forget Trion already rewards you for subscribing by giving you items you can buy that are exclusive to subscribers only. And they will be that way when the game launches (The special vendor you get for subscribing).

When I still played the game, it didn't feel anything different from wow's community, granted that was only for like 2 months inn total. I renember all the times I was shit on when I queued for tanking 5 mans with my rogue. They we're easy, even if I didnt have the best off gear, as you never have, when you're new at level cap. But telling people I have plenty off exsperience from wow, and told Id leave if things got to bad, sure didn't help them calm down. And later on when I wasen't the problem anymore, that didn't stop the sometimes odd groups.

Had one speciel incident with some Speciel Olympics people or whatever that guild was named. Got shit on, they tried to troll me obviously, and so on.

So whats you're point OP? Stay within you're tight guild community, don't pug etc...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    When I still played the game, it didn't feel anything different from wow's community, granted that was only for like 2 months inn total. I renember all the times I was shit on when I queued for tanking 5 mans with my rogue. They we're easy, even if I didnt have the best off gear, as you never have, when you're new at level cap. But telling people I have plenty off exsperience from wow, and told Id leave if things got to bad, sure didn't help them calm down. And later on when I wasen't the problem anymore, that didn't stop the sometimes odd groups.

Had one speciel incident with some Speciel Olympics people or whatever that guild was named. Got shit on, they tried to troll me obviously, and so on.

So whats you're point OP? Stay within you're tight guild community, don't pug etc...
    First, don't tell people you'll leave if things go bad. It'll instantly put everyone in a bad mood.
    Secondly, you just had bad luck meeting people. Everyone I've met was really nice, unlike WoW where dice = roll, and the points don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    First, don't tell people you'll leave if things go bad. It'll instantly put everyone in a bad mood.
    Secondly, you just had bad luck meeting people. Everyone I've met was really nice, unlike WoW where dice = roll, and the points don't matter.
    Erhm, I would only tell that to get the group going really :P, cause once we we're going they soon saw its fine. But its like inn, say WOTLK times, when people QQ when a new 80 character joined, without full badge gear etc. And the 5 mans was so easy inn Rift, just like inn wow. Even Master mode, the 2-3 times I did them, weren't bad, but ofcourse that dosen't stop people from QQ'ing even trough I could auto-walk the 5 mans^^

And sure, bad people can come. Especially inn LFG. The worst example I had was for sure thoes retards at Speciel Olympics. Also whinned about my gear, woulden't let me tank etc. I got pissed, they trolled etc. But thats just elitist being there worst - Funny I've never really had that inn wow, with elitist being a jerk as bad as that I think.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Lol bye!

Rift will be better off after it goes f2p. Sorry you can't see that.
    I disagree as well and your attitude is a prime example of what he is talking about. I also won't be playing Rift anymore F2P games are not worth the time investment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I disagree as well and your attitude is a prime example of what he is talking about. I also won't be playing Rift anymore F2P games are not worth the time investment to me.
    Good to know.

(For every "sub only or I leave" person they lose, they will gain 10 more in new players.)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-05-16 at 03:08 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have been a Rift Subscriber since the start. Believed the main thing that set Rift apart from other games currently was the community.
    Subjective and also untrue. Everyone has different experiences. I haven't played a single game where the community was as bad as people claim on the forums, though every game has it's share of fools and golde children.
    I am concerned that the community will suffer from the influx of people who do not have a vested interest in the game that comes from a subscriber model.
    Actually, requiring subscriptions that most people no longer want to pay while they still have a non financial vested interest in a game is what leads to the angst you are afraid of.
    People will come and go on a whim and consistency and attitudes will suffer.
    Same thing happens in a sub game. People are free to come and go every month if they choose. I do it frequently in multiple games. It doesn't make me any less interested in any of them, nor does it give me a magical license to be a dick. I get all of that out on stupid people on these forums.
    What I especially fear is that the bad attitudes present in WoW will quickly flood Rift turning a helpful friendly game into a cesspool of instant gratification idiots (WoW, LoL)
    Uhh...you say susbcriptions distinguish attitude then follow by saying you're afraid Rift will be like the largest subscription game in the world. Ok. Does.Not.Compute.
    I additionally feel betrayed by Trion after renewing my sub for the next year. Not that it is about getting something, but the subscriber bonus' mentioned do nothing for the casual player.
    1) Instead of wasting your time making this post, complete the survey that was sent with good intentions and communicate you don't feel the rewards are valuable enough.
    2) The current perks listed are actually amazing for a casual player as it lessens the time they need to gain currency and accomplish things.
    If they really wanted to provide a bonus, they could have a subscriber only realm where subscribers could create or move characters but F2P people were not allowed to make characters.
    So after wading through all that hogwash we've arrived at the truth. After ranting about bad attitudes, bad experiences, etc, what you really want is to feel like a special snowflake and be an elitist.

Ok. You do realize your personality is what contributes to everything you say you are afraid of in Rift right? Entitlted, elitism that wants to segregate players in a caste system. Wow...you're a revolutionary.
    BAD WOLF

I want to entertain this notion. Let's say Trion segregates subs from non subs in this sub only shard you're wanting. What happens when you drop your sub? Do you automatically get exiled from this exclusive country club? Members only plz? What happens when subs dip (i.e. usual drop in between content rollouts--expansions, summer etc) and you're having trouble filling groups/raids and so on? What happens when the population of your sub only shard shrinks for good due to attrition? Will you quit a game you love or will you transfer off this server?

Like it or not, F2P = more people around, and players are a form of content for other players. They may troll your general chat in your lower levels, ninja yer precious loot, drop in and out of your game, clog your queues and so on. By the way even with sub only right now, Rift's chat in the 1-29 zone looks like WoW Barren's chat to me. I guess trolls are fine as long as they're paying trolls. LOL? They may do all those things to infuriate you, but they're also going to populate your LFD groups, show up for landscape quests, populate your BGs and god forbid, if you let them into your guild...help fill out your raids when your sign ups start flagging.

It'll suck in the lowbie zones for a little while or until the next F2P game gets launched, and those who are only in it for stupidity will go there. Over time the game will reach a kind of equilibrium, and you'll be left with a good number of people who stay because they're genuinely interested in the game...more than you would have now if Rift had stayed an insular sub only game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found the Rift community to be the same as WoW.

I meet jerks in the LFG tool and general chat is full of spam, do you even rift bro It is full of trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    And why is that? Just curious about your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I always found the Rift community to be the same as WoW.

I meet jerks in the LFG tool and general chat is full of spam, do you even rift bro It is full of trolls.
    This, each server is likely about the same size as a server on WoW, actually probably more. I know WoW does some things now that let you group and play with others on other servers, but not sure how it all works. The thing is though, each individual server, or battlegroup, on WoW is still about equal to the server or the server cluster in Rift. So you really come into contact with about the same amount of people in game. Sure, there is a larger community, therefore more fan sites and more publicity and more people outside of the game know what you are talking about, but as far as in game community, they are roughly equal.

That said, WoW is the largest sub based game out there, and has the crappiest community I have seen in any game I have played, including several F2P games. What does that tell you about the community? Well, it tells me it's the game not the model. Rift, by default, is going to attract more mature players. It has a more serious overall look and feel, not cartoony, not all the pop culture references. It's more complex, via the Soul System, Planar Attunement, Dynamic Events, multiple currencies...so on and so forth. Due to the nature, it's the more mature and more intelligent that stick around. Sure, there are trolls and asshats everywhere, you cannot avoid them entirely, no matter the model.

There are other valid complaints against the F2P model, like making usable gear available for real money, but I am sick of hearing the community degradation argument, as it is just not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believed the main thing that set Rift apart from other games currently was the community.

(1) concerned that the community will suffer from the influx of people

(2) People will come and go on a whim and consistency and attitudes will suffer.

(3) Not that it is about getting something, but the subscriber bonus' mentioned do nothing for the casual player.

(4) If they really wanted to provide a bonus, they could have a subscriber only realm where subscribers could create or move characters but F2P people were not allowed to make characters.
    1. There are plenty of elitist pricks, trolls and general douche bags in Rift. There are good people in the world and bad people - some play WoW, some play Rift, some play LoL. Why do you let people get to you or upset you? I couldn't care less if some-one disagrees with me even in real life - if it's a valid criticism, it may take a while and I'll perhaps come to see a different point of view, but otherwise what do "trolls" opinions matter? You don't have to play with them.

2. You act as if 10~15 bucks per month is stopping people behaving differently. I subbed to eve a week ago again - haven't bothered joining a corp yet and have maybe played 2~3 hours - yeah, that 15 bucks has given me a lot of "direction" in life and a computer game and a change of attitude.

3. Subscriber bonuses are all about the casual player (at first glance) - less grind? What are you on about "no benefit" ?

4. Holy crap - you take elitism to a new level... Seriously not sure if you're serious. The community would stagnate and erode away over time without a attracting new players. Isn't it ironic that you're the type of person you probably wouldn't want to play with?

Personally I think you wanted to save the bucks and feel cheated that you paid. You know the game is open to you (no restrictions) whether you paid or not and now you're upset that you paid for bonuses where you would have been quite content to grind, rather than spend cash - as you have the time to do so - this, I believe is your real issue.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-05-16 at 04:07 PM.

Increased XP, Currency and Rep is great for the casual player, not sure what you're talking about. The rest of your post is a lot of nonsense as well.