Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    So explain to me why they would create a new currency to BUY things from the Blizzard store for all of their games ?
    So far there is no indicator that the currency will be used in SC2, D3 or HS. Just WoW. It's possible that it's just a safer method to have a special in game currency for in game transactions than actual real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Again, not denying that they won't be used in both WoW and Hearthstone (even though there is no info for Hearthstone). What I am saying though is that you can't get the currency playing Hearthstone.

Yes, if you could, it would be something unique that others haven't done before (at least I don't know of any other example). But would it be financially worth it? Yes, it would bring more players to Hearthstone, but it could also lower the income from the Store because more people use the Coins they earn playing Hearthstone.

I doubt that will be the case, but we just have to wait for the beta for Hearthstone. It was said that you will be able to buy card packs with realm money in the beta, so we will certainly know more then.
    Well for one, the HS currency changed already 3 times in 6 months time. I don't think you'll get straight out Blizzard coins by simply winning 1 match either.

But in ONE hand you have the new currency ...

In the OTHER hand you have this currency to pay for things in the Blizzard shop (spread over all of their games).

Why bother to introduce a new currency if you do it to replace dollars/euros in the Blizzard shop?

Because real money is a no go in casual gaming (as D3 showed) and certainly can not be used as such IN game.

So it is obvious they CROSS the BRIDGE with this currency between different games AND the use of the cash shop.

As intended.

It is up to Blizzrd to fill in the blanks. But the new currency is there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    One would hope so! They key these systems is that you make the coins available via in-game methods as well as being able to buy a bag of coins for real money. Assuming that the coins were available via normal play in some fashion (weekly quest, rare chest hidden in the world, Heroic Scenario or Challenge mode reward box, etc.) players can decide if they want to wait to earn enough coins via the game to get the item, or spend $ and get it right now. It's a good system.
    On the contrary... Buy to Win is a terrible system and I will quit if WoW goes that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    So far there is no indicator that the currency will be used in SC2, D3 or HS. Just WoW. It's possible that it's just a safer method to have a special in game currency for in game transactions than actual real money.
    The Blizzard shop already sells TONS of items for all games, both IN game as out of the game.

And the Coins is the new payment method to buy things from the Blizzard Store.

Wake up. Are you trolling ?

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 01:58 PM.

Ok. I can understand this remark.

So explain to me why they would create a new currency to BUY things from the Blizzard store for all of their games ?
    Because coins are more abstract than money. People rather spend "5000 BlizzardCoins" on that store mount than 20$.

That's why many F2P games want you to buy their currency and not the items directly (see League of Legends).

So Blizz won't any longer sell the items directly for money but for their currency instead. Of course it will be sold in "unhandy" portions, for

example 4000 and 6000 pakages when you only need 5000, so you spent even more money.
    Last edited by Tyranitar; 2013-07-25 at 01:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Oh hey, its Benbos again preaching from his high stand. Look man, whatever rock your bones, it is fine. I dont give a damn if Blizzard sells items in store or not, if they use virtual coins or not. If it is acceptable to WoW fans, let it be so. One thing however which infuriates me when lurking on this forums is the horrible bias some individuals can express. So you create a topic with "great news" about how Battle Coins is an awesome system and all that. OK, cool. However I would bet my nut, slash that, I would bet my both nuts that if the case would consider SWTOR's cartel coins, GW2's gems, EVE's PLEX or any other similar system, you would produce a wall of text procuring a "proof" of how irrelevant and moronic that system is. Seriously, some people are so full of bias that it starts to leak through all their orifices.
    Well from what we know you have to work for the coins & we have no clue if you can buy them with real currency. SWTOR's cartel coins, GW2's gems, EVE's PLEX or any other similar system you have to buy them with real currency.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't buy mounts and such with the money you used for the blizzard currency - just expansions and stuff. There will be some catch to using the coins.

Edit: Blizzard currency meaning when you "loaded" you balance or whatever. The thing they have available right now. Sorry I'm exhausted if I don't make sense.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

10+ Year Old Account
    Though, we can't know till we see something public. It's the same datamine at the XP boost, "some regions".

"It looks like the Blizzard store will use Battle Coins as a currency in some regions."

So, put back your flamethrowers and sticks till we know more. I do find the idea of earning currency in the game, grand, allowing to have them for the store. Would actually remove the whole factor of people saying, "I pay subscription, I deserve to have this item" - Yes, if this is how some people believe, then the people can get to work. But for now, it's just another datamine.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I genuinly hope they lose enough subscribers to force them into stopping these stupid cash grab techniques. Its beyond unacceptable.

But then again, theres a few players obsessed enough to buy mini pets for their soul, so those players are ripe for the milking machine.
    I still don't like the idea of a Blizzard Store in WoW but I'm not mad about it after hearing this news.

If it is indeed the revenue stream to take place of the F2P model the other games are taking then it's justified.
    I much prefer some other form that doesn't impact WoW because it's still kind of an "immersion breaker" and quite frankly I'm worried just how many more items will show up on the Blizzard Store for WoW.

The dangers of adding higher quality items to the Blizzard Store at the expense of WoW items is still real and that's why I'd still like for the Store to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Well from what we know you have to work for the coins & we have no clue if you can buy them with real currency. SWTOR's cartel coins, GW2's gems, EVE's PLEX or any other similar system you have to buy them with real currency.
    I am not sure about SWTOR becouse I dont play that since a long time. But both GW2 gems and EVE PLEX you can buy for in-game currency without touching your wallet. You can even pay EVE's subscribtion with PLEX which means the game becomes F2P for those who can earn enough credits inside the game.

Ok. I can understand this remark.

I guess it's supposed to have some kind of psychological effect. Probably so you don't get reminded how much money you're actually paying for all that expensive crap every time you take a look at the store.
    Lots of f2p games do the same thing without the ability to aquire that currency ingame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    I am not sure about SWTOR becouse I dont play that since a long time. But both GW2 gems and EVE PLEX you can buy for in-game currency without touching your wallet. You can even pay EVE's subscribtion with PLEX which means the game becomes F2P for those who can earn enough credits inside the game.
    Oh so they changed it than, from when I played GW2 last year during release you could only get gems from your own wallet I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Oh so they changed it than, from when I played GW2 last year during release you could only get gems from your own wallet I thought.
    No, the option was there since day 1 AFAIR. The gem to gold and gold to gem exchange at AH panel.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    I still don't like the idea of a Blizzard Store in WoW but I'm not mad about it after hearing this news.

If it is indeed the revenue stream to take place of the F2P model the other games are taking then it's justified.
    I much prefer some other form that doesn't impact WoW because it's still kind of an "immersion breaker" and quite frankly I'm worried just how many more items will show up on the Blizzard Store for WoW.

The dangers of adding higher quality items to the Blizzard Store at the expense of WoW items is still real and that's why I'd still like for the Store to GTFO.
    I think you summed it up quite nicely.

People forget the term "BLIZZARD store".

It is not called "WOW store" for a reason and that reason is now very apparent.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great new mechanic to work with Blizz coins.

1. The new Blizzard store is ALSO there for Blizzard's new F2P games Hearthstone and the upcoming Blizzard All stars. Because these games are F2P and need a revenue model.
    Awesome, time to get keys for chests in Blizz all stars... Dota players will know. Also let me get this straight, so coins could be gained in-games such as hearthstone and WoW or they could be bought off the blizz store so that you can buy items with it in the blizz store either by real currency or by the so called "battle coins"? Sounds cool as long as it doesn't offer any advantage over players or so then I'm fine with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    We should probably thank all the people that did proper effort to complain about the Item shop, for Blizzard to consider implementing this.

I'd like a source though.
    no, complaining isnt a good thing, considering they arent being forced to spend their money on anything but still they have to complain to get by each day
    ill never thank a moron

@ Enchanted.

A pity we will have to wait until the launch of HS (and BLizz All Stars) to know it for 100% sure, but it is clear we are heading this direction.

WOW will stay with a subscription with some fluff things on the Blizz Store , while the REAL F2P games will use the Blizz Store to buy packs and stuff.

All using the same new currency of the new Blizzard store.

A pity they didn't use this sytem for D3. They had too much backlash and security problems with using real currency in game.

I suppose it was "lessons learned".
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope its true that the coins will be able to be acquired in game. If it is, I won't be nearly as upset about the cash store as I currently am.

Deleted
    In that case we'll see some kind of "Bothstone" which grinds these coins for you while you're AFK at work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    See these comments I don't understand. Why is it "beyond unaccepatble" Why do you wish Blizzard to los subs? According to your sig you do not even play anymore? Do you follow every game company and their business practices and make these judgement calls?
    Their shareholders want a certain short and long term profit path. If they lose subs, they'll have to reinvent themselves. Apparently Tommo is of the opinion there would be less cash cows. In reality the opposite is true: the type of stuff like cash shop mounts etc is more likely due to less revenue from subs. So if subs go down, this behavior is to be expected more rather than less.