Poll: Did you enjoy Timeless Isle?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Was Timeless Isle successful?

I'm curious as to how many people enjoyed Timeless Isle or not, and whether or not it was a "success".

I personally liked it, but I'm not really sure about what the general WoW population thinks of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both Isle of Giants and Isle of Thunder and Timeless isle are a big success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Blizzard has already said it was a success.

But if you're looking for a small sample of data from a niche part of the player base that frequents these forums, then you can mark me down for hating the Timeless Isle.

Yet again, another misleading poll, the subject of the thread asks if the Isle was successful, which would lead one to think that's what the poll question is. Was the isle successful? Yes, but I chose "No" in the poll because I did not enjoy it.
    Last edited by ablib; 2014-03-30 at 02:16 PM.

Yes, it worked great.

I would have liked it to have a bit more direction in some way, but largely it worked well.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

it was a success in that i would go there for one day to collect all the chests, get whatever gear i could for my spec, buy mogu relics with my coins for tot extra rolls and never return

I'm not normally one to bash Blizz.

But I think TI is a giant murderbox devoid of any interesting or engaging content. The mobs are frustrating and aren't so much fun to fight as they are an excuse for your guildmates to laugh at you when you slip up and get one shot by a yaungol.

Run around, grind crap, collect loot. I think it's really lame.

Isle of Thunder, on the other hand, I thought was great. Yeah, it was dailies. But it was classic combat - not every mob felt like some kind of gimmick - and you could very easily measure the progress you were making throughout the zone. It wasn't just kill a bunch of stuff until you get bored.

i still do isle of thunder for fun, but i absolutely never go to the timeless isle. isle of thunder was so much better imo.

Deleted
    No, Timeless Isle was not my cup of tea. I didn't really like the free giveaway epics part of it.

Generally speaking, yes. The mechanics at least seem mostly sound, but need a bit of tweeking to be great.

I think it would have been more welcomed by the general community if it had a different theme, however. Even I feel that its a bit too whimsical in tone, and needed to be a little more connected to the overall story. It should have been directly connected to the Seige of Orgrimmar with players fighting Kor'kron troops on Pandaria, in my opinion.

But generally speaking its enjoyable enough in short bursts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karspearhollow View Post
    Isle of Thunder, on the other hand, I thought was great.
    Agreed, in general. I think a mix between the two would be ideal - a darker grittier theme, a wartorn setting, and more open-adventure progression with optional dailies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    No, Timeless Isle was not my cup of tea. I didn't really like the free giveaway epics part of it.
    To be fair, the giveaway Epics are pretty awful.

Deleted
    No because timeless isle was designed to last for 15 months and keep people interested for 15 months and it failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it although since i reached exalted with the emperor i can count the times i've visited it since on one hand.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I thought it was so-so. If they focused a bit more on the events happening and less on the "Go scavenge shit" bits it would've been better.

I also felt it was a bit too compact with everything in the same area but I can't blame them for that.

1, Timeless Isle PvP. TI is one of the greatest and best implemented open world pvp zones that Blizz ever come up with.

2, The Free Epix QQ is irrelevant to the point. The Free Epix from TI are essentially a hotfix to the lack of valuable/obtainable/decent Justice and Valor Gear, and a the lack of new higher level 5 man instances.

3, The zone actually offers a PvE challenge. Something that I haven't felt since leveling in TBC. Stuff can kill you. Even when you are running around in 575 Heroic gear, stuff can kill you if you don't pay attention to what you are doing. At lower gear levels almost any Elite can kill you if you fail at playing you character. I have a feeling that most complaining about the mob power level are actually baddies. The only mob on the entire Isle that warrants complaint is Cinderfall. Cinderfall seems almost impossible to do as Melee.

4, The synergy of things overall such as a dangerous environment, challenging mobs and the hazard of being ganked at any moment overall managed to produce one of the best open world zones Blizzard ever made.

Undoubtedly more could be done, such as more quests, perhaps dungeons, a greater variety of environments, lore, but the fact that they stayed away from overloading the place with dailies and steered clear from holding the players hands (I fucking hate when I am forced to follow fixed paths) is awesome.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-03-30 at 02:58 PM.

The catchup mechanic was great but the rare elites component could've been so much better. It became a case of 'XXXX UP GOGOGO!. Silly stuff. Oh, and the Bloody Coins. Dumbest thing ever. Open World PVP is one thing. Put it in the same place as where newly dinged 90s are going to come to grind gear is just stupid. Especially when it enables same faction PVP. Some folk will go 'OMG IT WAS AMAZING FUN' but in truth I don't understand how PVP where only one party is interested and able to take part is fun. Dumb idea. I'd rather see something akin to Cyrodiil where a central area of a continent is a PVP zone with rolling objectives and events constantly happening. That would be fun PVP if there's faction balance.

It sucks. There is nothing interesting to do there.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The catchup mechanic was great but the rare elites component could've been so much better. It became a case of 'XXXX UP GOGOGO!. Silly stuff. Oh, and the Bloody Coins. Dumbest thing ever. Open World PVP is one thing. Put it in the same place as where newly dinged 90s are going to come to grind gear is just stupid. Especially when it enables same faction PVP. Some folk will go 'OMG IT WAS AMAZING FUN' but in truth I don't understand how PVP where only one party is interested and able to take part is fun. Dumb idea. I'd rather see something akin to Cyrodiil where a central area of a continent is a PVP zone with rolling objectives and events constantly happening. That would be fun PVP if there's faction balance.
    The idea was that lowbies would be forced to team and play together to defend themselves. This point was completely missed on the community, and only the gankers themselves ended up banding together, and very rarely those questing/farming. Reality is that with the individual loot system there is no good reason why you shouldn't join a group while on the Isle.

Deleted
    Stuff dies too quick on busy servers. On Silvermoon EU poor Huolon lasts about 10 seconds still if that. I accept it as part of being on a full server but it'd be nice if the health of the rares scaled or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The idea was that lowbies would be forced to team and play together to defend themselves. This point was completely missed on the community, and only the gankers themselves ended up banding together, and very rarely those questing/farming. Reality is that with the individual loot system there is no good reason why you shouldn't join a group while on the Isle.
    The point wasn't missed. It was never related to the community. Timeless Isle basically functions as a place to grind Rep for this that and the other along with being the premiere place for gearing up fresh-90s. The PVP element hasn't been embraced because it was a horribly tacked on mechanic that only encouraged same-faction hostility for no reason at all except another vanity item. World of Warcraft hasn't had quality wPvP since god knows when since most people would rather get on with other things instead of being part of a laggy/ganky/one sided experience.

No long term value.

I got there the first day or two on every new alt and then never touch it again apart from ordos/celestials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Both Isle of Giants and Isle of Thunder and Timeless isle are a big success.
    In terms of "success" I would say that IoT and TI were successes while IoG was less successful.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Blizzard has already said it was a success.

But if you're looking for a small sample of data from a niche part of the player base that frequents these forums, then you can mark me down for hating the Timeless Isle.

Yet again, another misleading poll, the subject of the thread asks if the Isle was successful, which would lead one to think that's what the poll question is. Was the isle successful? Yes, but I chose "No" in the poll because I did not enjoy it.
    Not much more needs to be said. A large part of the player base enjoys TI, but I personally hate it. I enjoy dailies (gasp!) and a reason for doing things. Mindlessly farming "rares" (lets face it... Something that is guaranteed to spawn on a very short timer is not "rare") for terrible gear to get into raiding making every raid tier except for the current one obsolete is simply stupid.

LFR can at least get you exposed to raiding and might teach you basic raiding mechanics and tactics. TI is just "farm this mob for gear and then you can raid".