Poll: Did you enjoy Timeless Isle?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I enjoyed Isle of Thunder more, because it felt engaging a bit. Timeless isle is pretty dull if there isn't a burst of rares and I don't feel like I'm doing anything but killing the exact mobs over and over again with nothing going on. Timeless Isle feels mindless, I'd like a mix of unlocking and killing vs here is the entire isle kill 20 mobs, kill 5 rares, gather 50 epoch stones (why is this repeatable) do a pet battle. I'd like it to have more story at least, really instead of timeless Isle they could make any zone drop stuff. Thats basically all it is, a zone that drops Justice/valor gear.

As a catchup mechanic its better than farming valor. As a zone its pretty dull. The story is so short and feels shoehorned in as well. Isle of Thunder + Timeless Isle could be better. Less dailies, but still unlocking and having some story go on as well.

It was a success in the sense that blizzard thinks it is because players go there, from a player perspective its meh. Better than valor and better than a SHIT TON of dailies, but really dull. I'd like a small amount of dailies, Kill farming for boredom, and some story/scenario unlocking the entire zone or special bosses or something.

I think it was a great success. The fact that it is always packed on my server tells me this. Most of the people in chat seem to be having fun chasing rares etc.

I think the devs were off a bit with most of the rares and their hps though. I think they tuned them to what gear people would have on day 1 of the patch, and a week later when we were 30 ilvls about that, they became too trivial, too fast. Things like the Ale event would have been better if they needed 20-30 people on day one.

I liked the BOA epic catchups, especially for alts. The good thing is I probably would have not sent my alts there because they had like 430 ilvl from just questing. But my main was able to almost completely outfit my next alt, who then could outfit the next one so that most of my guys were doing timeless island starting at 470ish and could use the chest coins to get weapons.

But it also falls into the ´too complicated´category on a few things. Isle of Thunder was better in that you could figure out stuff as you went along. Timeless Island had some really strange stuff that I think the devs had to tell people about on PTR or nobody would have figured it out.. like the Taxi-birds and finding all the chests. Without websites, it would be almost impossible to find all those chests without knowing which ones you didn´t get, especially when you start bringing alts there.

But the last thing, I think Blizzard overreated to the daily crying on the forums. Having a couple dailies to kill youngul instead of making it a straight rep grind would have been good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering they are integrating elements of it all over Draenor, which is awesome. I'd say yes. It's also worth noteing that they acknowledge that it needed more structure for the people that enjoy that playstyle, so they're combineing it with 5.1 Landfall structure, which is cool also. Basicly, exploratation based elements with a bit of structure sounds like the perfect balance come WoD/the future. But all in all, it was an experiment that I enjoyed.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2014-03-31 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid the new continent is going to be nothing more than Barrens 5.3 stretched all over "Outland".

10+ Year Old Account
    Implying that haveing all those events around the world would be bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Only if they are the only thing present like 5.4/5.3 They don't work by themselves.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-03-31 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    No you're right having collect 150 wood, 150 oil, 150 meat and 150 stone events all over the world is going to be ace! I can't wait! And what is even better is that without flying we can savour collecting all those things for just a little longer! I just hope they bring back the cat.

I would have preferred a 5-man or 2 (good ones like the ICC ones)

I actually don't care for it and got bored with it after about 2 hours after launch. I would much rather run the same 1-3 dungeons over and over for loot on alts as opposed to grinding it on the isle.

When doing Ordos I randomly get phased to a pvp realm and that is entertaining for about 10 minutes then it gets boring again. But for some reason I can spam 5 mans and scenarios all day with no issue. I don't know, maybe its because when I'm on the isle I'm usually alone and when I'm doing instances I'm with guildies so that makes it more enjoyable.

I hated the mindless isle, nothing to do but run around attacking "rares". Thunder isle was great but I had a big Mindless Isle today and I had to flush twice to get rid of it.

It was small, so the no-flying thing was bearable, especially with being able to glide. Also, the zone specific goodies are nice, but I don't think they'd scale to a bunch of different zones. Finally, the ffa pvp buff is interesting in a small area, for this limited time. But again, I don't think it would scale well to a whole continent. So, yes it was successful. But not as a huge precedent. The kinds of things to do on Timeless Isle are the kinds of things to do when an expansion is winding down. It would have been horrible at the start of MoP. The daily quest fiasco could have been fixed if 1) there was a limit on number of daily quests or you could only do 1-2 faction's daily quests per day. and 2) the gear wasn't double gated. Oh, and 3) there were real heroic dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    It was small, so the no-flying thing was bearable, especially with being able to glide. Also, the zone specific goodies are nice, but I don't think they'd scale to a bunch of different zones. Finally, the ffa pvp buff is interesting in a small area, for this limited time. But again, I don't think it would scale well to a whole continent. So, yes it was successful. But not as a huge precedent. The kinds of things to do on Timeless Isle are the kinds of things to do when an expansion is winding down. It would have been horrible at the start of MoP. The daily quest fiasco could have been fixed if 1) there was a limit on number of daily quests or you could only do 1-2 faction's daily quests per day. and 2) the gear wasn't double gated. Oh, and 3) there were real heroic dungeons.
    Or people were smart enough to figure out that they didn't have to do all the dailies just because they exist.

In terms of people going to it then no doubt Blizzard think it was great. As worthwhile content if was fucking offensive. Isle of the Re-Hash where you can grind grind grind grind grind.... It was joke content flung together because they were too cheap and lazy to make some 5 mans to serve the same purpose.

I'd really like a hotfix to the Censer of Eternal Agony where you can only gank same faction players that have the censer and no one else. It'll allow the dross to mindlessly kill themselves whilst others can just go ahead and get on with what they enjoy.

In combination with a normal zone as well as dailies. I think you have a good recipe. TI by itself was not enough to keep my attention.

The fact that isle is still swarming with people, months after it's release, is evidence enough that it is a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    The fact that isle is still swarming with people, months after it's release, is evidence enough that it is a success.
    That means that it supplies players with something they need; i.e, easy gear. That would stand true for ANY gearing up means tossed in next to an end-of-expansion raid.

The more apropos question from the OP would have been "was timeless isle fun?" or "was timeless isle a good blueprint for content to come?"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go to farm lesser charms because it's the most efficient way to do so, without that 'carrot', I wouldn't be there, and nor I think would many others. I tend to go with 2-3 friends, one of us on their main to just faceroll burn everything down while the others loot the charms and epoch stones. I'm not sure that's really the intention of the zone, but again it is ruthlessly efficient in reaping rewards for very little effort; that efficiency keeps me going there and that respect I guess it could be regarded as a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    just cause people do it doesnt mean it's good.
    Hi

That is a question of perception. It is a great success from a world pvp point of view - not only reminded me of the great IoQ times, but also given the possibility to nuke your own faction - priceless!
    It is a complete disaster and RNG fest from pve point of view though. Killed every rare that drops collectible more than 200 times, got 1/5 of all items needed for the achievement. Not to mention the great times of running as fast as possible to spawned rare just to kiss its cold dead body. Meh.