Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ridley Scott EXODUS film not doing so well...

Could the problem be Ridley Scott (or perhaps more specifically Scott's atheism) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Could the problem be Ridley Scott (or perhaps more specifically Scott's atheism) ?
    Scott is not the director he once was. Also wrong forum, this should be in movies.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this film shut out its built-in audience by not representing the story accurately. Scott didn't have empathy for the source material.

Wait, are you trying to say its doing bad because he's atheist and people don't like him for it, or that the film was poorly made because his atheism didn't allow him to accurately portray the fictional bible tale?

I think he just lost his touch on making good movies, simple as that.

Yes, I'm sure the people who directed the Harry Potter movies believed those stories were factually accurate as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if the film adhered to the actual story, it would be doing better since there is a demand for well-made Biblical films. Exodus: Gods (plural) and Kings clearly wasn't trying to satisfy that demand.

Probably has something to do with the backlash about having a movie set in ancient Egypt with a bunch of white dudes as the leads.

I know for a fact it would of done better if it was actually based on the story, old people like graphics as much as young people, they just want what they grew up with or know.

*mostly using my grandparents as my basis for this opinion*

i am christian, but i would not of watched it either way in theaters. *maybe red box/netflix if it actually stick to the story*

IMMA GO SEE THE HOBBIT : BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Probably has something to do with the backlash about having a movie set in ancient Egypt with a bunch of white dudes as the leads.
    yeah there was quite a hooplah about that.

plus the 10 commandments already did that whole story about as well as it could be done imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    honestly that does not bother me, i mean we are getting black stormtroopers in star wars *aka no more clones uses but recruits as seen in trailer*

but some people will freak out because of that because they think clones are the only true option.

Being accurate to the story/meaning imo means more than slight details like race. *unless it's a documentry*

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, besides it being directed by an atheist with a single point of view towards it, the fact of the controversy of an all white cast, and the fact that there are better films out.

Ridley scott shouldnt have directed it. The cast should have been all middle eastern. And it shouldnt have been "realistic scientific POV" on it. This is Oliver Stone's "Alexander" all over again. Its going to flop, and nothing would have stopped it.

Now, just let me see the Interview.

Being an atheist doesn't somehow make him unable to "empathize" with the source material.

Don't give him an excuse for making a shitty movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Being an atheist doesn't somehow make him unable to "empathize" with the source material.
    I think in this case it does. He's made anti-religious comments in the past.

Deleted
    The film didn't catch my interest because they didn't seem to even attempt to tell the "original" story. Not every movie is good because of special effects, sometimes it does but hardly ever when you are trying to tell a serious story. Noah had the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post

Now, just let me see the Interview.
    I AGREE! it's silly that it's gotten a canceled release because some back water country made threats they probably can't even go through with.

I know nothing about the movie - but honestly, it's probably just simply not all that good. And perhaps it's not even that. It doesn't have to mean it's not a good movie just because it's not doing well at the box office. Just saying. It's not as if the taste of the masses is an indicator for quality and as if there never were any good movies that flopped commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    The film didn't catch my interest because they didn't seem to even attempt to tell the "original" story. Not every movie is good because of special effects, sometimes it does but hardly ever when you are trying to tell a serious story. Noah had the same issue.
    didn't they depict Noah as a Hateful man in that movie?

*didn't watch it but i heard it was nothing like the story and that he hated the world and i heard it even pushed global warming*

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what his atheism with do with retelling a Bible story...you don't have to be Hellenistic to retell a story about Hercules. I think the problem is he picked a bad time to release, there are only so many ways to retell the story of Exodus, cast of good actors but people want to see a browner cast.

And its very very long story (to go along with most people know the story), people have seen the 10 Commandments - its something most only sit through once. Other successful stories about Exodus are usually TLDR cartoon versions.

Edit: Just read a review and if its true then shame on Ridley. Seems like he takes strays too far from the source material, which is bad if you're going to retell a story that many people know - especially one tired to the major religions of the world.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2014-12-19 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I think in this case it does. He's made anti-religious comments in the past.
    I'm pretty anti religious, but I think I could direct 'Charlton Heston as Moses with Guns' if I was asked to do so...

That said, I'm not interested in it because I'm not a fan of any of the leads, and the whole 'nothing but white dudes' in a movie set in Africa is a little off to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    honestly that does not bother me, i mean we are getting black stormtroopers in star wars *aka no more clones uses but recruits as seen in trailer*
    *puts on glasses*

Ahem, excuse me, pleb, but the Empire was already phasing out clones by the time the original movies came about,.

- - - Updated - - -

That being said its more than a little insulting to take a movie where everyone would have dark skin, cast white guys as the leads, and then keep the colored people for the slaves and soldiers.