Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I don't see what his atheism with do with retelling a Bible story...you don't have to be Hellenistic to retell a story about Hercules.

you are right and wrong.

I am pretty sure as a christian i could tell a more better accurate version of the exodus then he ever could because he is known to say anti religious comments. Which is even more ironic he did a movie on a religious story.

However, i do think some atheist could tell a accurate story because they look at it for the meaning and as a book, but this director i do not think csn do that as he comes off as a hater to begin with.

Ridley Scott have made awesome movies before though.

Alien
    Gladiator
    Blade Runner
    Black Hawk Down
    Kingdom of Heaven
    G.I. Jane
    Hannibal

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Probably has something to do with the backlash about having a movie set in ancient Egypt with a bunch of white dudes as the leads.
    Why? It's not the first historical inaccurcay in Hollywood.

I'm sure a lot of people knew that this

Was not accurate about the demographics in Persia at the time.

People don't nitpick historical faults to determine thier interest in a film.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Ridley Scott have made awesome movies before though.

Alien
    Gladiator
    Blade Runner
    Black Hawk Down
    Kingdom of Heaven
    G.I. Jane
    Hannibal
    and
    Prometheus
    White Squall
    and
    Robin Hood (with Russel Crowe)

It isn't as if each and every time he directed something it was a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Why? It's not the first historical inaccurcay in Hollywood.

I'm sure a lot of people knew that this

Was not accurate about the demographics in Persia at the time.

People don't nitpick historical faults to determine thier interest in a film.
    Really? Because I remember a lot of backlash about that one too. It's just shitty, lazy white washing and people can reasonably expect better from people who are supposed to be artists.

Really? Because I remember a lot of backlash about that one too. It's just shitty, lazy white washing and people can reasonably expect better from people who are supposed to be artists.
    You watch Marco Polo on Netflix yet? I was pleasantly surprised by much of the casting of the main characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I do agree it's silly to make such a movie with white people playing the leads BUT would have brown skinned people actually saved this movie? How many people would have been like:
    person 1-"Hey, want to go see Exodus?"
    person 2-"well I don't know, is there brown people in it?"
    person 1-"Yes, brown people are in it"
    person 2-"well fuck yes then! I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie that has a story that interests me, but now that I know brown people are in it I will definitely go see it now!".

You watch Marco Polo on Netflix yet? I was pleasantly surprised by much of the casting of the main characters.
    its on my to do list.

Wait are you saying it's not biblicaly accurate or something? Is it way too normal without including all the "godly" stuff that come with the story of Moses?

I was actually looking forward to this movie because I really liked Noah. I figured it might be something similar.

PS: I thought Prometheus was very good, can't wait for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbert the View Post
    I do agree it's silly to make such a movie with white people playing the leads BUT would have brown skinned people actually saved this movie? How many people would have been like:
    person 1-"Hey, want to go see Exodus?"
    person 2-"well I don't know, is there brown people in it?"
    person 1-"Yes, brown people are in it"
    person 2-"well fuck yes then! I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie that has a story that interests me, but now that I know brown people are in it I will definitely go see it now!".
    Meh I think it has more to do with historical accuracy and accuracy to the source material. Similar thing happened with The Last Airbender but having an all-white cast was the least of it's problems.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    you are right and wrong.

I am pretty sure as a christian i could tell a more better accurate version of the exodus then he ever could because he is known to say anti religious comments. Which is even more ironic he did a movie on a religious story.

However, i do think some atheist could tell a accurate story because they look at it for the meaning and as a book, but this director i do not think csn do that as he comes off as a hater to begin with.
    I'm pretty sure I could tell a more accurate version as well, but discussion of such isn't allowed on this forum.

Noah was a pretty good movie. The Passion of the Christ was good too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    honestly that does not bother me, i mean we are getting black stormtroopers in star wars *aka no more clones uses but recruits as seen in trailer*

but some people will freak out because of that because they think clones are the only true option.

Being accurate to the story/meaning imo means more than slight details like race. *unless it's a documentry*
    The Empire stopped using clones after Kamino revolted with its own clown army a few years after the empire formed. That's one of the reasons the most deadly fighting force in the galaxy no longer seems to be able to aim a blaster. If you think about it, clones have a lifespan of about 20 years, and if their production was shut down shortly after the formation of the first galactic empire, the vast majority of clones would be deceased by the time the fourth movie starts.

On topic, I'm a Christian, a few of my friends took me along to see it. I wasn't expecting biblical accuracy, and I didn't get it. It was still an "okay" movie, though I wouldn't pay to see it myself.

Deleted
    Well Prometheus was dreadful, so not really surprised that this is getting such a poor response.

Deleted
    Probably has something to do with the backlash about having a movie set in ancient Egypt with a bunch of white dudes as the leads.
    dont you know?
    God turned those people black and brown after they started worshipping Allah!

Deleted
    Maybe its because I like theatre more, but white people playing Egyptians doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Could have something to do with the fact that people don't care about the story

Deleted
    Scott has made some classic movies but to be fair, even if having a Middle Eastern cast would have made for a more authentic viewing experience, it probably wouldn't have got financed in the first place.

Ridley: so, I want to remake the Moses stories... epic scale, with Muhammed Whassisface as the star, and a supporting cast of Middle Easterners!

Studio Exec: yeah, no. Can't see people wanting to see that. We need a big name to sell it. Next!

Basically, even if he wanted to make it more realistic, he couldn't. It may not be overt racism of the studios either, but the anticipated racism of a general viewing audience. At the very least the lack of big draw names (who generally are white, or the wrong shade of brown anyway).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    The Empire stopped using clones after Kamino revolted with its own clown army a few years after the empire formed. That's one of the reasons the most deadly fighting force in the galaxy no longer seems to be able to aim a blaster. If you think about it, clones have a lifespan of about 20 years, and if their production was shut down shortly after the formation of the first galactic empire, the vast majority of clones would be deceased by the time the fourth movie starts.
    all true, but isn't jango fett a black man canonically too? sure less black, but its not like its a "change".

Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post

On topic, I'm a Christian, a few of my friends took me along to see it. I wasn't expecting biblical accuracy, and I didn't get it. It was still an "okay" movie, though I wouldn't pay to see it myself.
    A whole army of clowns?