Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Consider Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulljin View Post
    Bioware Games usually do a very great job in immersing you into their worlds, giving you information on places, persons and things. There usually also is a lot on the line and missions/actions you do/take feel like they are actually meaningful. Most of the time.

The Secret World is an MMO that has a lot of meaningful quests you can do that also usually include decent amounts of exploration, information gathering and processing. Characters are also well casted and quite memorable. Setting is the real world.
    Dont Bioware games (both SP and MP) have the kinds of quests he dislikes? quests where some NPC is like "sure i'll give you the key to the temple of doom, but first you have to kill 10 boars for me"?

I would agree with your comment about TSW and i think that the quests are immersive. But i think its the same too with quests that have him kill 3 dry zombies, 3 wet zombies, 3 fast zombies and 3 slow zombies. But even with that TSWs concept is unique from other games and some people just didnt get it. I would try explaining to people how the game worked and i did it like this: imagine if IRL a zombie invasion happened (ie the first 3 zones in TSW). So you are in an IRL zombie invasion and you need to log onto some doctors computer and you do not know his password. But you see hints nearby that show he is into classical music and his you see the name of his favorite conductors song. You think that conductors name might be the password but you know squat about music. What would you do IRL? you would google it wouldnt you? you're in a zombie invasion, standing in a deserted house in front of a laptop and you have your smartphone with you. See that mode of thinking never occured to some people. They were so insistent on not googling answers to quests for immersion purposes that they didnt see that the game immersed you and wanted you to google stuff. Even that one quest where you find the Orochi SUV and two dead agents nearby. And you do this and that (i dont want to give details to spoil it) and eventually you end up on a fake Orochi website that was specifically made for the game. That first zone even has a fake website dedicated to it that is just like an IRL town/county town hall site (linked below)...now that kind of game reaaaally does immerse you.

http://www.kingsmouth.com/

Op described elder scrolls and fallout perfectly. I don't see any other game so fittingly fit the description of what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Dont Bioware games (both SP and MP) have the kinds of quests he dislikes? quests where some NPC is like "sure i'll give you the key to the temple of doom, but first you have to kill 10 boars for me"?
    If we ignore SWTOR and Dragon Age: Inquisition, those quests are not very numerous. For example, I don't remember a single quest from KotoR that would require killing a set number of enemies - and I've played through it, at least, 10 times, probably 20. Same in Mass Effect 2-3 (in Mass Effect 1, there is a couple of such tasks). In Dragon Age: Origins, there are some tasks you can pick up that require you to kill N enemies and such, but they are strictly side quests, and you can safely skip them without losing much.

That said, they have a lot of filler as well. This filler may not be as obvious as in MMOs (like kill 20 boars) and it may be better integrated in the story, but it is there.
    Last edited by May90; 2015-08-12 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Consider Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
    That game is great but it really has no exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Enough with the RPG recommendations already =P Unfortunatley notanmmmonewbie is right in that I don't really care for that system anymore. Dragon Age is the perfect example of a nice game world, but with game play I don't care for. I also should've said by the way that I'm more a fan of fantasy/historic (1800s voyages, that sort of thing), than sci-fi stuff like Fallout. Did you read my previous posts about Firewatch? That's the sort of thing I'm looking for, but preferably fully released. I'm looking into Ori and the Blind Forest right now as that looks lovely too.
    Anyway, I appreciate all the discussion

Edit: And by the way, I would play Journey but that's not on PC.
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2015-08-12 at 09:00 AM.

Life is Strange matches your "light on mechanics, heavy on world building and narrative exploration" criteria. That game deeply cares about the world it builds. There's no exploration in the "OH MY LANTA I'M INSIDE A HUGE PADDOCK LETS SEE WHATS OVER YONDER VISTA POP!" sense, but you very much explore the ever loving shit out of everything else.

I don't know how you would feel about playing very old games but:

Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar might be what you would like.

Deleted
    have you tried wow?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    have you tried wow?
    Did you even read the thread?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Did you even read the thread?
    For some odd reason trolls can troll but you can't point out when someone is trolling. He's...not doing that. >.<

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Concatto View Post
    How about Metroid Prime?
    I second this. Any Metroid is pretty good and athmospheric.

Deleted
    So I've been thinking. I'm really interested in ship exploration, particularly in the 1800s. I'm not that interested in naval warfare or politics though, more the advance of science and charting new unexplored lands. I've been looking for a game that allows you to take control of a ship in a sandbox world were you can visit new lands and so forth. I looked into assasin's creed black flag but I've never played those games before and I'm not sure I would want to do all the other stuff like spying and combat that comes with it, although I've heard it has good exploration. Another game out there is obviously Empire: total war, but again it's more naval warfare than anything. Take a look at this image. I just love the idea of exploring a new land. Imagine being able to roam around your ship and control it yourself or have it controled by an NPC for a time, and then come to the shore of an unexplored place and then enter it and go through forests or jungles and find loot and whatever else. Does any game like this exist?

On a side note, of all the travel/transportation features in WoW, you'd think Blizzard would allow you have your own phased ship to explore the seas of Azeroth. I would resub for that instantly.

So I've been thinking. I'm really interested in ship exploration, particularly in the 1800s. I'm not that interested in naval warfare or politics though, more the advance of science and charting new unexplored lands.
    Sometimes I can get into a game even if the genre doesn't appeal to me specifically (which explains how I've managed to play WoW for years even though I've long ago burned out on fantasy). If you like commanding your ship, and you like unending exploration, have you thought about any of the space exploration games out there like Elite: Dangerous?

I'm looking at them all myself, trying to figure out if there's something I would enjoy. I want to explore, collect, grow, and build in an endless sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussemilch View Post
    Sometimes I can get into a game even if the genre doesn't appeal to me specifically (which explains how I've managed to play WoW for years even though I've long ago burned out on fantasy). If you like commanding your ship, and you like unending exploration, have you thought about any of the space exploration games out there like Elite: Dangerous?

I'm looking at them all myself, trying to figure out if there's something I would enjoy. I want to explore, collect, grow, and build in an endless sandbox.
    It doesn't really work like that for me for some reason. My enjoyment of a game doesn't come from the mechanics alone. So if I there was a game that had everything I wanted, say exploration, visiting new places, finding out a story gradually by visiting said places, collecting things etc, but it was in the form of Sci-fi with spaceships, I wouldn't play it. It's theme over any mechanics, really, if that makes sense. I know that's pretty limiting, but that's just the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia is game just for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Hyperdimension Neptunia is game just for you.
    Gee! You know me so well! That game looks so kawaii! ;3

It doesn't really work like that for me for some reason. My enjoyment of a game doesn't come from the mechanics alone. So if I there was a game that had everything I wanted, say exploration, visiting new places, finding out a story gradually by visiting said places, collecting things etc, but it was in the form of Sci-fi with spaceships, I wouldn't play it. It's theme over any mechanics, really, if that makes sense. I know that's pretty limiting, but that's just the way it is.
    Oh, ok. If sailing the oceans is your fetish, I picked up Windward and it's pretty fun for what it is

But the more I think about it, I think my ideal game these days would be "Azeroth: The Exploration Simulator".....
    Easy enough to do, have you thought about playing with WoW in sandbox mode?

If you want a game that is like WoW but is not WoW then you should try Rift. If you don't care about the MMO aspect than continue modding out Skyrim. If you're done/bored with Skyrim than really a variety of single player RPGs will fit the bill.

Someone recommended Journey earlier and I can second that recommendation, loved that game. If you're too young to have played the Myst series then give that a try, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Easy enough to do, have you thought about playing with WoW in sandbox mode?
    What would that be?