Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Man Thrown in Jail Over Traffic Ticket, Neglected for 17 days and Died.

Macomb County sheriffs picked up Stojcevski in 2014 after he failed to pay a $772 traffic ticket for careless driving. Stojcevski was placed in a jail cell and later a mental health cell, even though a nurse who evaluated Stojcevski suggested putting him in a drug detox unit.

He was supposed to serve 30 days in jail for not paying the ticket. But he would be held there, naked (inmates don't wear clothes in the mental health unit, apparently for their own protection), until his death, 17 days after he was locked up.
    Can't pay ticket throw you in jail... yes that's the way.

Put into mental health cell after a nurse said he should be in detox and who was there to provide mental health? Who was there to help him while he was going through withdrawal?

Prior to his jail stint, Stojcevski was being treated for his drug addiction with methadone, Xanax, and Klonopin to stave off withdrawal symptoms, which can be deadly. Even a basic knowledge of these drugs and addiction suggests that suddenly yanking Stojcevski off of his medication would cause withdrawal — and that's exactly what happened when jail officials didn't give him the drugs.

Over 17 days, Stojcevski displayed typical withdrawal symptoms. He didn't eat, likely due to withdrawal-induced nausea. He shook and appeared to experience seizures. He seemed to hallucinate, reenacting a previous fight with an inmate. On his last two days, he laid on the floor, shaking and in clear distress.

During all this time, staffers rarely tended to Stojcevski's needs, even though his cell was under surveillance 24 hours a day. As he lay on the floor shaking and not eating his food over 48 hours, no one showed up to help until the very end. But it was too late — he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

guy breaks law

guy breaks law again

law doesnt coddle him

he dies

thanks big brother

10+ Year Old Account
    Any source? Or where this happened?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    I'm guessing Macomb County.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Macomb County, right near detroit.

Edit: Apparently a 'Macomb County Executive' is saying the jail deserves an award and the county won't settle a wrongful death suit but will be trying it in court.

Double Edit: As to why they don't have care for people going through medical emergencies, "We're in the middle of a year long 250k dollar study about that." That's right, no answer, but they're in the middle of a year long study.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2015-10-02 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    guy breaks law

guy breaks law again

law doesnt coddle him

he dies

thanks big brother
    Letting minor law breakers die is a sign of a shitty system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Letting minor law breakers die is a sign of a shitty system.
    the jail and prison system in the US is shitty?

you dont say

No source, no care. Especially from themius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...eath/73137924/

And on the other side of the story, it looks like it was going very poorly proving these claims in court, even when the system openly offered for the FBI and other investigative bodies to look into the matter and allowed transparency that was not followed up on. When they couldn't win in court, they brought it to the media for a different kind of pressure to try to get a lawsuit through by selectively posting 3 minutes of a 240 hour long recording that apparently when presented in its entirety was not very compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...eath/73137924/

And on the other side of the story, it looks like it was going very poorly proving these claims in court, even when the system openly offered for the FBI and other investigative bodies to look into the matter and allowed transparency that was not followed up on. When they couldn't win in court, they brought it to the media for a different kind of pressure to try to get a lawsuit through by selectively posting 3 minutes of a 240 hour long recording that apparently when presented in its entirety was not very compelling.
    Thank you. Its pretty obvious now why Themius didn't provide a link.

Wells, care to comment?
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Thank you. Its pretty obvious now why Themius didn't provide a link.

Wells, care to comment?
    What is obvious? I went with vox, I didn't see the detroit news story and does it really matter? How does that link somehow make this situation any better? No matter what way you look at it, this man shouldn't have been thrown in a mental health cell and left alone to go through withdrawal, especially when the nurse said he should be in detox.

From the link above:

An autopsy determined cause of death was “acute withdrawal” after Stojcevski was denied prescribed doses of methadone, Xanax, Klonopin and oxycodone, according to the complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What is obvious? I went with vox, I didn't see the detroit news story and does it really matter? How does that link somehow make this situation any better? No matter what way you look at it, this man shouldn't have been thrown in a mental health cell and left alone to go through withdrawal, especially when the nurse said he should be in detox.
    1. Post story with no link. Neglect to mention anything that doesn't support your argument
    2. Get called out by mod who tells the real story and provides link
    3. Keep arguing same point
    4. Profit?

Deleted
    Which 3rd world country did this happen in?

Oh. Nevermind.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    the jail and prison system in the US is shitty?

you dont say
    Profoundly shitty.

1. Post story with no link. Neglect to mention anything that doesn't support your argument
    2. Get called out by mod who tells the real story and provides link
    3. Keep arguing same point
    4. Profit?
    1. http://www.vox.com/2015/9/26/9399391...vid-stojcevski

2. Called out? She posted the other side of the story... how is that called out? Dear you need to calm down. This isn't some fucking political race.

3. What point? The guy was going through withdrawal and denied meds and it was recommended he be in detox, not there.

1. http://www.vox.com/2015/9/26/9399391...vid-stojcevski

2. Called out? She posted the other side of the story... how is that called out? Dear you need to calm down. This isn't some fucking political race.

3. What point? The guy was going through withdrawal and denied meds and it was recommended he be in detox, not there.
    Your dubious start to the thread is a non starter for me. Enjoy yourself.

Your dubious start to the thread is a non starter for me. Enjoy yourself.
    Dubious? You mean that being thrown in jail for a month over tickets is 1) Ridiculous and then 2) being denied meds and not put in detox which is what was recommended is also ridiculous? Those are dubious things? My my, how blissful you must be.

Dubious? You mean that being thrown in jail for a month over tickets is 1) Ridiculous and then 2) being denied meds and not put in detox which is what was recommended is also ridiculous? Those are dubious things? My my, how blissful you must be.
    you really dont let up.

when you use rhetoric no one is going to take you seriously.

/goes and gets popcorn.

Ya, sorry, the 'other side of the story' in this case is letting an inmate die because they didn't follow the instructions given by medical personnel. The Detroit News story is mainly just quotes from a politician stonewalling.

The case is currently being appealed by the county, to try to get it dropped. The FBI hasn't really been involved at all. Supposedly autopsy shows that he died from withdrawal. In other words, poor medical care. If the autopsy report is true, there isn't really another side of the story.

Edit: I should say proceedings to hear the motion to dismiss have been scheduled, really, not currently being appealed.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2015-10-03 at 12:07 AM.