Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    How very lucky for you. Now I cannot escape Gold no matter what I try. Kinda like last season...
    play lucio. Ez

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    play lucio. Ez
    You say that as if playing Lucio will make you one shot everyone and out heal anything x)

Quote Originally Posted by effs View Post
    You say that as if playing Lucio will make you one shot everyone and out heal anything x)
    Nope but it covers the inevitable lack of healer problem and you wont get as focused as a mercy.

Hes incredible for team play even in pugs because of the auto healing nature and you can assist in killing people too with his skill set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isnt this the same for everyone though? No one wants to heal or tank and everyone just goes straight to their dps picks.

Then if people ask them to tank or heal they just say look at my stats instead of playing/learning a new role

I got this game a month or two ago and so far I havent been able to go dps because we never have tank/healers. So all ive played so far is lucio and reinhardt and roadhog, Yay
    I used to tank pretty much all the time, but kinda burned out on it, largely through tanking when I really didn't want to. And I'm just not going to heal, when I get asked to, then told how much I suck at it. There's nothing in that for me. You get nothing for taking one for a team that you'll never see again; if you're at a disadvantage picking a role you're bad at, it's probably not actually going to increase your chance of winning.

As the game is right now, Tanks and Support can actually end up pretty dead weight anyway; supports need babysitting from Tracer and Genji, Tanks need babysitting from Tracer and Reaper. At lower levels, without co-ordination, that doesn't happen and you might as well just take a DPS. People realise that, and that's why compositions are often so poor; and why even when you think you have a good setup, they still fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I used to tank pretty much all the time, but kinda burned out on it, largely through tanking when I really didn't want to. And I'm just not going to heal, when I get asked to, then told how much I suck at it. There's nothing in that for me. You get nothing for taking one for a team that you'll never see again; if you're at a disadvantage picking a role you're bad at, it's probably not actually going to increase your chance of winning.

As the game is right now, Tanks and Support can actually end up pretty dead weight anyway; supports need babysitting from Tracer and Genji, Tanks need babysitting from Tracer and Reaper. At lower levels, without co-ordination, that doesn't happen and you might as well just take a DPS. People realise that, and that's why compositions are often so poor; and why even when you think you have a good setup, they still fall apart.
    I agree tanks are not that game breaking. Although a good Reinhardt can still win certain maps single handily even with doomfist around.

Supporting has always been a thankless job in most games. Harder to see the big support plays that usually have more bearing on the games result. So comes down to personal preference if you would prefer to play and have fun or play and win imo.

I find completing the objective in competitive games more fun but I'm in the minority I feel. Most people would rather get a 5x kill as Genji

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree tanks are not that game breaking. Although a good Reinhardt can still win certain maps single handily even with doomfist around.

Supporting has always been a thankless job in most games. Harder to see the big support plays that usually have more bearing on the games result. So comes down to personal preference if you would prefer to play and have fun or play and win imo.

I find completing the objective in competitive games more fun but I'm in the minority I feel. Most people would rather get a 5x kill as Genji
    I don't think it's just that, Genji is a very effective hero. He deletes support in less than a second with no comeback and can easily escape afterwards. Tracer's in a similar position. Take out two supports, you're 6v4 against heroes that are just going to melt. They're two heroes that can carry a match in ways people are terrified Widow or Sombra might.

The whole concept of Dive, is a bum rush to see who can delete the other team's support the fastest. And that's why people hated S5. And as long as those heroes go unchanged, there's no sign of that being any different for S6.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-09-10 at 09:13 PM.

I don't think it's just that, Genji is a very effective hero. He deletes support in less than a second with no comeback and can easily escape afterwards. Tracer's in a similar position. Take out two supports, you're 6v4 against heroes that are just going to melt. They're two heroes that can carry a match in ways people are terrified Widow or Sombra might.

The whole concept of Dive, is a bum rush to see who can delete the other team's support the fastest. And that's why people hated S5. And as long as those heroes go unchanged, there's no sign of that being any different for S6.
    Yeah true, I think they are trying to slow down dive with the junkrat buffs and doomfist introduction but I dunno. Depends on your team play too. South Korea just stuck together as a group and never lost a round in a recent tournament

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah true, I think they are trying to slow down dive with the junkrat buffs and doomfist introduction but I dunno. Depends on your team play too. South Korea just stuck together as a group and never lost a round in a recent tournament
    You're not going to get that level of team play in a Competitive game, not even in Top 500.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also think Supports need to get out of the mindset that they have to be "saved". Tracer and Genji are issues, but I can usually drop either to about half health before they kill me, even if it's just me vs them, as Zenyatta. If I see them coming and get lucky with a right-click, I can handle it on my own.

Should my team be providing some defense? Sure. But I shouldn't be waiting on it. I should be sticking close enough that it's just a matter of them turning and shooting the Genji, and I should be helping my own defense. If I'm playing Lucio, use the boop and mobility. If Ana, sleep dart, grenade. If Mercy (probably the weakest), try and get a teammate who's far enough away to give you an escape route; Pharah works perfectly here.

I swear, the biggest issue in mid-ranks is people playing DPS. They tunnel vision in bad ways, ignore their teammates and how the push is going, and expect the healer to pocket them 24/7. Not all DPS, mind you, but enough. They aren't helping protect healers because they really want to kill that Junkrat. They flank off and can't get healed and blame the healer for not following them, when the healer's keeping everyone else up. Some people instalock DPS because they want to put their brains on hold, and you can't do that, regardless on your role.

Supports keep everyone up.
    Tanks provide cover and disruption.
    DPS take down priority targets and protect everyone else.

If you're not helping counter flankers and are just shooting the enemy Rein's shield as your healers are getting eaten, you're fucking things up for your entire team. If you're poking at that Roadhog who's being pocketed by Mercy, you're just boosting their ultimates and doing basically nothing.

You're not going to get that level of team play in a Competitive game, not even in Top 500.
    Fair point. They were a pretty good team

Positioning as support however is probably the most key aspect in competitive play. Tracer is a problem though with her rewind time ability. With good use you can dive with little risk which should be "adjusted" imo. Genji's block is more skill based so I'm ok with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went 8-2 in placements, best I've ever done, and got a new career high rating of 2795. Woot. I don't know that I'll play much comp this season, though. While I had some great matches, I don't miss the added stress and anxiety.

Although...I say that now but after a few craptacular QP rounds I'll probably be back in comp (diamond is sooo close...) :P

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Not always.

I mean there was a reason why S5 was so utterly terrible. I mean shit, it was being talked about by
    multiple game news sources.

How very lucky for you. Now I cannot escape Gold no matter what I try. Kinda like last season...
    No I have to agree with them, 2 days into season 6 and almost every game had someone whining, "This is the worst season ever, even worse than season 6." with no reason given as to why.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-09-10 at 11:25 PM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished my placement games and ended up around 2600, far off my personal best if 3.2K but I haven't played since season 3 so I will take that.

Shout out to the guy who had a go at me for picking Genji saying 0% winrate on Genji. Well yes because I swapped off him everytime it wasn't working and played something else...
    To be honest deathmatch is the most fun I have had playing the game since launch so will probably just play that now I've got my rank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, look at that, just checked my stats for the weekend, lost 11, won 9, gained 23SR. That's DPS life for me.

I realise now why people do it to. It's not that you instalock and never switch, it just means you get so much more opportunity and options to switch should things not be working out, including to Tanks and Healers. As Tank or Healer, you're basically tied to the role, switching, especially from that role can tilt your team and enforce a loss even if individually it's the right decision. There's also about 20 more options and more variety to switch to. That actually gives you a feeling of more control.

just had a match where the other team just barely managed to get everything... wouldn't be that bad except when it hit overtime at the second checkpoint for the payload it somehow stayed active with no one on it. As in, they contested for time... we killed them all... they contested somehow again... killed them again... no one on it and somehow they don't lose and push for the win.

we had them dead locked for 10 minutes at that spot and it wouldn't game over at any point where they were all killed. I don't know how they managed to get back in time to contest and I was certain there were no targets in range to contest at those times.

10+ Year Old Account
    play lucio. Ez
    Healing ain't the problem. I think since S3 I've been "forced"
    to mainly play as Support.

10+ Year Old Account
    That actually gives you a feeling of more control.
    This is a big part of why I keep pushing for more healer heroes. I'd say we need at least two more, maybe three, before adding heroes of other roles. If I were Blizzard, rather than try and have a "year of Healer releases", I'd dump a couple in a single update, find a way to tie them together story-wise, either as close allies or firm enemies. It won't be THAT much more chaotic than adding a single hero, IMO.

On an unrelated note; people need to realize you're gonna get tilted about the roles you aren't playing. If you're a healer, your DPS and tanks are fucking it up. If you're a tank, your supports aren't healing you, and your DPS can't get picks. If you're a DPS, the tanks can't protect you, and the supports are tunnel vision healing the tanks. And swapping roles is just gonna change which roles you get tilted at, not "fix" anything. I main support because I got tired of playing flex and always ending up support 8/10 games; it was better for my mental health to just prefer Support and not get annoyed by the pressure to play that role. If Support were all passive like Mercy, I wouldn't have done so, but Zenyatta and Lucio tickle my enjoyment centers just fine. Ana did too, until they hosed her offense.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-09-11 at 03:52 PM.

Had my first match today that actually made me mad. Maybe I'm just tired and cranky, but my team was Hog, Orissa, Mercy, Lucio, Pharah, and Reaper. Reaper kept going back and forth between him and Junk. The only reason we had Mercy was because the guy picked Lucio and they told him we NEED a Mercy. As soon as he switched, the Zen picked Lucio. Won the 1st round (barely), lost the 2nd, and Mercy went to Ana.
    Reaper to the so fixated on killing Hog that he kept trying to flank and went 1v3 most fights. Pharah followed him around, even if it meant going into enclosed spaces and died shortly after a second she trickled in right behind Reaper. 1/2 our fights were our 2 tanks and a healer on point while our Lucio danced around trying to get boops. As a matter of fact, I feel like in the long run thats what cost us the game overall, just people on my team playing for themselves. Lucio missing boops into the well and off the Lighthouse balcony, Pharah missing been knockoffs and going into enclosed spaces trying to get kills on someone Reaper might have weakened, Reaper having a personal vendetta against 1 other character. It was just extremely frustrating and has me on break for now. Can't play when this triggered. No one on our team played well (including me), but at least 2-3 of us played a team game at times.

I agree that Tracer is borderline overpowered but Genji and Tracer are definitely not the sole reason dive exists right now, Tracer's winrate is actually pretty mediocre in every rank until GM where she shoots up a lot, her pickrate is also quite low and it skyrockets in higher MMRs.

Obviously you can still do work with her in every rank but I highly doubt Tracer's are tearing it apart in Platinum or whatever rank most people are in. (Nothing wrong
    with that btw)

I personally don't even consider Genji to be really that super meta right now, he's good but in no way overpowered.

Dive is enabled by a combination of many factors, the biggest one being Winston and D.Va, and I know you hate hearing the latter being mentioned by she's absolutely core to dive, sadly she's also equally core to defending against dive so you get a lot of mirror comps.

I don't think high mobility comps at higher ranks will ever go away unless Blizzard comes in with some sweeping changes to area denial and stuff, Junkrat's buffs are nice but he got overtuned, heroes like Torbjorn and Symm should do a better job all around of stopping dive imo.

Wouldn't be opposed to changing Tracer but I highly doubt it'll change much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they so much need to change tracer/genji, they just need heroes that can stand up to them. Particularly healers. Give us a short-range burly Paladin healer archetype. One who's got 250-300 total health (perhaps some armor portion), largely melee-range focused, with at least one good defensive tool. Make their healing short-range and relatively low, maybe in a cone burst with a 10-15' range, so their total healing potential is comparable to Lucio (rather than Ana/Mercy; making them tough AND a strong healer is too much). Give their attacks some measure of AoE or spread, but all short-range, with the goal that they can A> help with a slow push with a Reinhardt protecting them, or B> murder the hell out of flankers who dive them. The lack of range is the weakness; you can pick them off from range without them being able to fire back.

Right now, the big issue is that the mobile flankers can dive ALL the supports and get easy kills, and then pull back out safely. The only real hope right now is seeing/predicting their approach with tanks and/or DPS, and focusing them down when they strike. And the healers can't swap to counter this. A healer designed to counter it directly, while introducing a new weakness, is the better long-term fix IMO.