Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Cosmetics done like ESO are NOT FINE. Basically every decent shit goes into item shop. The whole argument "its just cosmetics" is pure shit btw. If you are so with "its just cosmetic" then you should be fine with playing something texture less with 6 polygones tops right? Because "its just cosmetics"...

Again, wow got less than 1% of mounts in the item shop. And they make much greater money with sub and tokens.

And yes, GW2 is f2p with expansions. You have some functions behind paywall (ah for instance) but it is still f2p. Sure, expansions are not free but base game is. Like, is this hard to grasp?
    not all cosmetics are in cash shop. moreover - wow is subscription NOT optional. ESO is. and even game as large as wow with mandatory subscription? STILL has a cash shop. that should tell you something about necessity of a cashshop. yes, its ok that cosmetics are in cash shop. becasue alternative is something like SWL and basically anything run by perfect world entertainment where actual, useful for gameplay things are in cash shop and that is the best way to get them and the only way they are available for in game currency is through currency exchange.

restrictions of functions in GW2 is what makes it essentially b2p. everything from character slots, to trading, to something as basic as chat. in order to get a full experience in GW2? you HAVE to buy the game/its expansions, to unlock the functions that are hidden. its also part of the reason why swtor is f2p in a name only.

again, this is in my opinion. your opinion obviously differs.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    not all cosmetics are in cash shop. moreover - wow is subscription NOT optional. ESO is. and even game as large as wow with mandatory subscription? STILL has a cash shop. that should tell you something about necessity of a cashshop. yes, its ok that cosmetics are in cash shop. becasue alternative is something like SWL and basically anything run by perfect world entertainment where actual, useful for gameplay things are in cash shop and that is the best way to get them and the only way they are available for in game currency is through currency exchange.

restrictions of functions in GW2 is what makes it essentially b2p. everything from character slots, to trading, to something as basic as chat. in order to get a full experience in GW2? you HAVE to buy the game/its expansions, to unlock the functions that are hidden. its also part of the reason why swtor is f2p in a name only.

again, this is in my opinion. your opinion obviously differs.
    Item shops are because simple reason. Why make some money when you can make MOAR money? And it is not like poor publishers are too poor to buy doggie food. They make shit tons of money already. But they want to make even MOAR money. It is their fault? Nope, but neither is finding excuses for players. Lets not be afraid to use proper words.

WoW 15$ sub give you much more than basically any game when you can spen 15$. Except FF14 i believe. Any comparison you try to make between Wow and ESO only shows how much ESO is fucked up.

And yes, blizz devs are also greedy as fuck. Just look at race change or server change. I even said they have highest prices overall in both item shop and services.
    But blizz being greed is not excuse for other devs being greedy. It doesnt work that way.

Also, you dont like what now ESO team is doing. Well, sorry to say that but it will only go downhill for players. Why? Because they already proved they cant help themselves. They will push this shit as much as possible. Remember first dlc? Horse armor for Oblivion? But looks what it is now. Why? Because it was being pushed and pushed.

Your argument is flawed - presence of item shop is not a prove for item shop being necessary. And again, it is not ok that cosmetics are there. Hell it is not ok for anything to be there. Imagine if everything in item shop (any, in any game) was not there but actually in game to obtain by playing game and not wave credit card. Crazy idea right? Now, somebody actually NEED to make those items. Art team, etc. It is limited manpower after all. So they dont spend time creating content for the game but they instead create content for item shop. Moreover, if you create something for item shop you want it to sell, or else you just wasted both time and money. So you need to create incetivise for players to buy it. Lets say, all non item shop cosmetics are pure shit compared to those in item shop. Or everything is rigged to frustrate you just to the point to actually spend money just to have reasonable experience.

Hell, you are pissed because they are putting COSMETIC option behing paywall (more slots) but then say cosmetic options are ok for item shop? Seriously?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are you using the most updated version? That's what I'm using and it seems to work just fine. FYI using Minion to keep my mods updated, seems to work pretty well so far.
    It was the most updated version, but i think the whole addon was outdated. I've switched to the one someone mentioned above and it works fine now.

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope that in a future update they expand the skill trees a bit, add in atleast 2 more skills per tree or something. Once you reach around level 40 you've unlocked every class skill and weapon skill. At least i have, on my sorc ive just hit level 42 and i've unlocked every class skill apart from 1 and all the destro staff skills.

15+ Year Old Account
    And still, in GW2 i can exchange gold for premium currency. Hell i can do this in f2p mode without any expansion bought.
    No you can't. Don't confuse f2p and core. True f2p is somewhat restrictive. GW2 is effectively b2p if you are even moderately interested in the game long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Does anyone know of a minimap addon that still works? the one on esoui doesn't work
    I'm using Votans.
    Last edited by xerus; 2018-01-29 at 04:50 PM.

GW2 is effectively b2p if you are even moderately interested in the game long term.
    the entire base game for GW2 is free. The base game which existed for B2P for years before the first expansion.

Long term sure you'll want the expansion but the base game is still plenty and it's free. It's a f2p game with buyable expansions.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    the entire base game for GW2 is free. The base game which existed for B2P for years before the first expansion.

Long term sure you'll want the expansion but the base game is still plenty and it's free. It's a f2p game with buyable expansions.
    Not really sure what point you are trying to make or why you thought you needed to make it. I never said it wasn't.

That said, I have a hard time classifying games that lock content, class specs, and basic functions behind a paywall as still being f2p. Just because you can call it f2p doesn't mean you should.
    Last edited by xerus; 2018-01-29 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    Not really sure what point you are trying to make or why you thought you needed to make it. I never said it wasn't.

That said, I have a hard time classifying games that lock content, class specs, and basic functions behind a paywall as still being f2p. Just because you can call it f2p doesn't mean you should.
    the game is F2P up to a certain point. The amount of content you get for not paying anything is massive. I have no problem calling gw2 free to play because it is.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post

You literally described every game with an expansion. You can't play demon hunter without legion or go to those zones or maps or dungeons, you can't get red mage or sam in FF14 without stormblood.

GW2 literally gives you the base game for free. They don't lock you out of shit. Everything the base game has, it's yours , for free. If you want expansion content you buy the expansion literally like every other MMO the key difference though is that the base game is free. Wow base game is not free, nor is FF14.
    Last edited by zito; 2018-01-29 at 08:38 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Hey folks, reminder that this is the ESO thread. Let's keep discussion on-topic, please.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm late to the convo, but I've been playing a little the last month. You can argue that a B2P game shouldn't have additional costs, but when it is an ongoing service that provides expansions and meaty content in between....how did you expect them to provide that? Criticize single player games with a finite content schedule that have loot boxes and boosts. That's just a fucking cash grab. An MMO with ongoing revenue is just sensible business.

That being said, they also give you basically everything from a subscription. So....not sure I really see a problem. Same thing I feel about Lotro. You can earn your way out of cost over time, mass purchase up front, or just sub like a normal MMO and have your cake and eat it too.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I'm late to the convo, but I've been playing a little the last month. You can argue that a B2P game shouldn't have additional costs, but when it is an ongoing service that provides expansions and meaty content in between....how did you expect them to provide that? Criticize single player games with a finite content schedule that have loot boxes and boosts. That's just a fucking cash grab. An MMO with ongoing revenue is just sensible business.

That being said, they also give you basically everything from a subscription. So....not sure I really see a problem. Same thing I feel about Lotro. You can earn your way out of cost over time, mass purchase up front, or just sub like a normal MMO and have your cake and eat it too.
    Those expansions and dlc are not free. They costs money. So they dont provide jack shit for free.

I'm late to the convo, but I've been playing a little the last month. You can argue that a B2P game shouldn't have additional costs, but when it is an ongoing service that provides expansions and meaty content in between....how did you expect them to provide that?
    This argument is flawed to say the least, yes it's an ongoing service, yes it requires money to develop further and money for the servers and staff BUT you don't need gate it behind mandatory payment,
    To me that seems like they have a half decent product but are not confident that it is good enough for long term retention or growth.

There are games out there that manage to provide ALL content for free, with no subs or box costs, with game changing patches every quarter (and even more minor ones) that not only retain players but steadily grow, none of the p2w bollocks either.

TBH i never really felt that TESO was a particularly good game, though i've not been on in a while (not going to pay for expansions)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post

There are games out there that manage to provide ALL content for free, with no subs or box costs, with game changing patches every quarter (and even more minor ones) that not only retain players but steadily grow, none of the p2w bollocks either.
    Though unrelated to the topic I would love to know what games you think fall under this description. All mmos monetize in one way or another and I can't think of any mmos that are legitimately popular that would fall under this description.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those expansions and dlc are not free. They costs money. So they dont provide jack shit for free.
    Please show where I said anything was 'free'. I said they give you everything with the subscription. That's a minimal cost for always having everything they create, plus extra storage, plus currency for the cash shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    This argument is flawed to say the least, yes it's an ongoing service, yes it requires money to develop further and money for the servers and staff BUT you don't need gate it behind mandatory payment
    Kind of a bit silly argument really. That's like saying that any product should be free and if it's good enough then people will just give you money out of the goodness of their hearts. That doesn't work for most things and certainly not for running an ongoing business with hundreds of employees.
    BAD WOLF

Please show where I said anything was 'free'. I said they give you everything with the subscription. That's a minimal cost for always having everything they create, plus extra storage, plus currency for the cash shop.

Kind of a bit silly argument really. That's like saying that any product should be free and if it's good enough then people will just give you money out of the goodness of their hearts. That doesn't work for most things and certainly not for running an ongoing business with hundreds of employees.
    Actually they dont give you expansion, which seems to be one each year, still need to be bought separately.
    Also, sub without crafting bag it would be virtually worthless more or less. They even need to bump benefits with double bank space.

Actually they dont give you expansion, which seems to be one each year, still need to be bought separately.
    Also, sub without crafting bag it would be virtually worthless more or less. They even need to bump benefits with double bank space.
    There's only been one expansion period so far, so far from once a year >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's only been one expansion period so far, so far from once a year >.>
    It was confirmed i believe they want to make one expansion per year. Now it would be those elf isles i believe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its $15 for $15 worth of shop coins, all the dlc (while subbed), craft bag, bank space, 10% bonus xp, double house space, 10% crafting xp, 10% faster research, and the ability to dye stuff.

I wouldn't say its totally worthless, at least for the average player. Maybe not necessary, but not worthless.

Pretty sure you just post to hate on the game at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is an awesome convenience. On the one hand you are arguing that they charge for things they shouldn't charge for, then complain about adding value to something they charge for. Pretty hypocritical stance. It's one of the better F2P game models and is completely transparent and fair. Do I like RNG boxes? Not really, but I have long come to terms with the fact that there is a population of people in every MMO out there who have shit tons of disposable income. They will buy anything and everything under the sun....won't bat an eye at dropping a couple of grand on RNG boxes. That's not going to be my life, but it's a great source of revenue for the game.

I think they could do a bit more to make the subscription feel more valuable overall, like a much higher boost on the XP gain, but it's whatever really. Game is solid, model is fair.
    BAD WOLF

I think they could do a bit more to make the subscription feel more valuable overall, like a much higher boost on the XP gain, but it's whatever really. Game is solid, model is fair.
    I mean...you literally get $15 a month in crowns, on top of what is already a pretty solid offering in terms of sub benefits on its own (access to DLC, craft bag, experience bonuses etc.) >.>

That's better than most other F2P/B2P games sub value in the stipend alone, much less the value of the additional goodies - the crafting bag alone would easily be a pretty top tier convenience in any games cash shop, if it wasn't instead a super low drop chance in gacha-box.