View Poll Results: Do you like to be anonymous on the internet?

Voters
49. This poll is closed
  • Yes

42 85.71%
  • No

7 14.29%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

[Poll] Do you like to be anonymous on the internet?

I just wanted to start a thread about anonymity and the internet. Do you think it is good to be anonymous on the internet? Do you like to be anonymous? I know this thread is probably lol. Do you like Reddit? Whenever I think Reddit, I think The Internetz. Reddit is just random online people to me. I don't really care about anyone on Reddit. I don't know. But I shouldn't say that since I never really use Reddit. But I know what it is. I know Subreddits. It's just whenever I think reddit, i think internet, i think anonymity.

Deleted
    Whenever I think of Reddit I think "internet hugbox".

Deleted
    Heck yeah, I am in a compromising position with my work if I was ever to be noted for some of the stuff I write on the internet.

Not necessarily. I reside in the projects (literally) and do not work. I have nothing to worry about.

Depends on where. I'm certainly not willing to share some things on here after someone that's creepy as fuck found my facebook profile and posted on the forum, all because of a thread where people were asked about their name and I was stupid enough to respond.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do like the anonimity in regards to advertising and tracking (as mentioned above), but I understand that this evolving techonolgy likely needs some more user-responsibilty.
    A system like South Korea's where everyone is assigned a number, and uses that to login seems like a good compromise. The number would be the only publicly visible portion of the account, but an assosiated database could be used by law enforcement in the event of threats and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Anonymity online is the same as in Real-life. If we are friends or work colleagues you will know who I am. though if you are part of the majority of random people you won't.

Being anonymous has many advantages and disadvantages, but I am overall in heavy favour of it. Sure, we get some shitty trolls and such, but overall it also allow people to have discussions and explore new ideas, while at the same time not being held accountable for every single little thing you have ever said. A lot of people, me included, like to keep their internet "me" and their real life "me" separate. I still have the same opinions and standpoints as in real life, but in real life, i am more than just my opinion and my avatar, but an actual person with responsibilities. The internet can also be an escape, and an outlet, a function it would lose if it was no longer anonymous.

I thought everyone knew who I am. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I tend to act the same if I am anonymous or not, so personally, I don't really care either way. I don't get the point of being sadistic to people when anonymous. I know people like doing that, and like being trolls...

When I was younger and tried doing that, I just felt guilty afterwards.... because I knew what I did... which in my estimation was not "right"... *shrug*.
    That's the thing about the internet, the weak and small can finally bully people too.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-02-21 at 11:56 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I could take it or leave it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. Unless I have known you for a long time and have some degree of trust, I may open up some more than I would normally. Too many nuts out there to be too free with your own self to others.

Yes, because we've got fucking nuts people even on this forum that threaten physical harm on other posters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

If people weren't anonymous and we all knew who each other was...I think I wouldn't be at all surprised how civil most would suddenly become.

I like to be anonymous here. My handle here is unique to this forum.

I have an online presence, which I don't consider anonymous as I use the same handle across a variety of platforms, but that presence is not connected in any way visible to the public to my real name.

I don't do anything online under my real name aside from receiving emails and paying bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Yes but I post like someone could find out who I am. More people should live like people are going to catch on to the shit that you do when you think no one is watching/when you think that you won't get caught. Because 9 times out of 10 people find out what you've been up to, in some form or another.

7+ Year Old Account
    Too many people use anonymity as an excuse for acting like assholes/idiots/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    That's just who they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Sometimes acting, most of the times it's just them.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes but I post like someone could find out who I am. More people should live like people are going to catch on to the shit that you do when you think no one is watching/when you think that you won't get caught. Because 9 times out of 10 people find out what you've been up to, in some form or another.
    My issue with that is that standards are wildly different from place to place. What you could say in a boardroom and what you could say in a bar over drinks are wildly different.

I look at MMO-C as like a huge barbecue in somebody's backyard. We are all drinking heavily, everyone is a bit freer with their language than they ordinarily would be in polite company, but there is still a line you don't cross. Compare to some other platforms, where the standard for good behavior is much more strict - many forums censor curse words and/or ban you for using them.

Recent actions by Twitch and Blizzard with regards to policing other platforms has had a chilling effect for me. While I don't engage in what would typically be considered harassment, I won't deny that my political posts on here are pretty inflammatory sometimes. I would hate to be infracted on a more strict platform based on my statements here, hence the split in my online persona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

I like anonymity as long as it's not abused.
    IronVan the Van of Steel