Poll: Update old gear or keep it the same?

10+ Year Old Account

Would you like to see Wow's Vanilla-Wrath items updated to today' graphical standard

I know theres a lot of nostalgia around many of the early vanilla items in wow, people who got and loved how old items looked, remembering those days back in early wow, you didn't care how pixelated the items looked, mostly because it matched the low quality graphics of the vanilla-cata character models.

But, given how we're be having vanilla servers, where everything will be as it was back when wow first came out, no high detailed texture, just old wow style, would you think given that premise, that blizzard should consider going back in main now and updating the original wow armor/weapons/mounts?

They already started doing this with pets and critters, remembering how the squirrals and rabbits looks more like origami creations then actual animals.

I can honestly think there are only a select few amount of people who are happy having the old, blocky and pixelated items remain the same, that being vanilla wow fans, and they are getting vanilla back, so their problems solved.
    #boycottchina

7+ Year Old Account
    So "models problem" didn't teach you anything? Let them make new ones, but don't change old ones, everything is very simple.
    Generation-"let's break everything what was before us" completely lost fear.

And by the way, they officially answered this question.
    <1> <2> <3>
    (the same applies to mounts and other similar material)

Problem that even this
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    vanilla wow fans, and they are getting vanilla back, so their problems solved.
    isn't yet a fact because of people like you. And that's one of the reasons I'm here.

ps. Your memory is short.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2018-03-20 at 11:37 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

5+ Year Old Account
    No. Old sets look fancy af, gotta love my Mage's Sunwell Garb xmog <3

texture updates, assuming it didn't take away too much artist time, would be fine. A lot of them have pretty garbage textures that probably wouldn't take much time to redo. Hell they probably have high res versions that they originally made laying around that they could just re-apply to the gear without toning it down.

If you mean redo like ToS gear, then no. That would mean we literally just pump out old sets for years before getting new stuff again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see them updated, it would mean they could redo them for a potential dye system but, what they once said, it would be hundreds of thousands of items that would need to be redone. So, how much I wish it, I think I won't see it for a long time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

i'd rather they add in hd versions of them as teh game goes. not outright replace older ones.

looking at how the kodo mount got updated... sure that'd be nice to see happen to all the older mounts but at the same time I wouldn't want to see them spending so much time on this to go back and tweak EVERY thing.

I'd rather they just recreate old items with high-definition textures as new obtainable transmog rather than change existing items.
    I personally prefer the high definition armor of modern WoW, but that doesn't mean I'd want to remove options from others who may prefer the older look.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Aint no one touching my Magister's set
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The old sets are more aesthetically pleasing than the newer sets coming out. Besides the older items come as a reminder of when the game was more fun.

Keep it the same.

Deleted
    But a HD Maladath ... that would be nice

The amount of pixels/blurr on Paladin's T1 is astonishing, indeed some of them really needs some refresh to 2018 standards

No. If you change too much of the old stuff, the game will lose its classic charm.

I cant tell you how many times I've looked at Maladath and thought about how cool that could look with a 2018 makeover.

People need to let go of this nostalgia crap, save that for classic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I would love to see them updated, it would mean they could redo them for a potential dye system but, what they once said, it would be hundreds of thousands of items that would need to be redone. So, how much I wish it, I think I won't see it for a long time.
    I feel like there's an internal system at Blizzard that could determine what items would be worth spending time remodeling. Maybe something based on number of times transmogged? I dont know..
    Last edited by Jaundiced; 2018-03-20 at 06:17 AM.
    http://us.media.blizzard.com/wow/med...arora-full.jpg

"Intelligence and Wisdom are not mutually exclusive. The presence of one does not imply the presence of the other."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaundiced View Post
    I feel like there's an internal system at Blizzard that could determine what items would be worth spending time remodeling. Maybe something based on number of times transmogged? I dont know..
    Such system would always leave someone in the dark, sadly. A good idea but the vast choice of transmogs will always leave somone with a specific choice that others don't use much.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the shit is practically not viable for use in 2k18 unless you like looking like a smudge.

Also considering they ran out of ideas reimagining class tiers for 22nd time and opted for giving everyone generic copy-pasta in BfA - that's more the reason to touch up old stuff so players can retain class identity by wearing appropriate gear.

I voted yes BUT would only love it if they would maintain the fidelity with the originals. I would love a higher res version of my Zulian Tiger and Rivendare Charger. Of course this is never gonna happen since it would cost us another raid tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaundiced View Post
    I think they've already done that and ToS sets are the outcome of it.

As for myself, I wanna see the platekini in higher quality. It's weird that the old team had no problem with these items, hell, you could see your character's bare ass through Ravager's Woolies, but then sometime through Cata, they added boxer shorts to them.

Hate this bullshit "where it makes sense" phrase they like to use so much. I could list dozens of things that don't make sense, old and new, but hey, what can one do?
    Last edited by Louz; 2018-03-20 at 09:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see my Field Marshal's Lamellar and Grand Marshal's Claymore with modern graphics.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Starting T6 standard gear texture's resolutions are 256x256 and 256x128. So there isn't much from WotLK to update.

Mage T6 and T20 chest textures respectively.

Obviously, quality and complexity of head, shoulder and belt models improved/increased over the time, but the only drastic change is the so-called "high fidelity raid armor treatment", a.k.a. additional geometry on our raid sets, the rest of our equipment still reuses decade old models

And Blizz said numerous times that instead of revamping old gear and retiring old models, they preferred the idea of creating new sets that were inspired by old ones, basically, that's T6 > T20 case.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-03-20 at 09:53 AM.