Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Did you forget it looked like shit? i remember people laughing at the trailer showing stormwind guards floating on a cgi stormwind that wasn't at the same angle as them. It was a videogame adaptation that went through like a decade of dev hell and multiple writers and directors. The only people expecting something good were the people going for the brand name and most of them were still coming out disappointed.

But of course why people still go into remakes and game adaptations NOT expecting hot trash i don't know. People never learn i guess.

He failed because he failed to do something that Both Tolkien and Peter Jackson does very well. Take your fucking time. The Movie felt so damn rushed and so much could be fixed by having sequences like those in Lotr where you watch the fellowshhip or smth travel for a minute or 2 to epic music. Thats obviously just 1 example but he had he fucked up badly, while some things were will truly epic in Warcraft. Credit were credit is due.

Also, I am not sure he actually ment it like that because if he actually read Tolkiens work it would be quite clear that he was in no way shape or form a racist by his times standards. There are plenty of colored people in Lotr, even Sam whos arguably the most heroic of them all are in fact brown of skin in the books. Anyway, if Duncan did mean it like that, fuck him.
    We humans have to stick together

Part 2 is in the works apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Did you forget it looked like shit? i remember people laughing at the trailer showing stormwind guards floating on a cgi stormwind that wasn't at the same angle as them. It was a videogame adaptation that went through like a decade of dev hell and multiple writers and directors. The only people expecting something good were the people going for the brand name and most of them were still coming out disappointed.

But of course why people still go into remakes and game adaptations NOT expecting hot trash i don't know. People never learn i guess.
    Lol are you fking kidding? Several stuff like the orcs and the Magic have still not been outdone in any movie since.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Source? Really don't think thats true.
    We humans have to stick together

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    It's a lie, part 2 is NOT AT ALL in the works, and will NOT ever happen.

Blizz tried to feel it out, and it didn't work.. they sold the entire set/melted the rest: It's over fam

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah, why wouldn't you make a movie based around the most interesting time period of your story? That shit is ridiculous, make one about Orcs vs. Humans instead and see how much the general public care.
    You're expecting the general audience to be unwelcoming to orcs vs. humans but instantly embrace white male prince vs. zombies?

Kek.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MalfLFT View Post
    Lol are you fking kidding? Several stuff like the orcs and the Magic have still not been outdone in any movie since.

- - - Updated - - -

Source? Really don't think thats true.
    It 100% IS NOT TRUE, don't even believe it for a second, or a millisecond

Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    It also bothered me how Garona was half human in the movie and not half draenei.
    Wasn't Garona originally believed to be half human? It was only later revealed that she was half draenei. I don't think that she knew herself at the point where the movie takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    You're expecting the general audience to be unwelcoming to orcs vs. humans but instantly embrace white male prince vs. zombies?

Kek.
    No, I expect them to be blown away by Undead (zombies), Illidan and the Lich King in a marketing campaign. Even people who don't care for WoW know the Lich King, he's the character that transcends his franchise, and to a lesser extent, Illidan too. Like even people who don't care about basketball know who Michael Jordan is.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I've always seen that Frodo and Bilbo are supposed to be relatable by the viewers/fans who don't believe they have as much worth in world with athletes and celebrities and realizing that everyone has something their good and even the smallest person can make the difference. This is actually shown a lot of other stories aswell, but that's not what I meant by conservative.

You do actually bring up what I meant, the classic good guy vs bad guy story and you can try to say that it's more gray because Saruman, Sauron and Melkor are all fallen angels, but where in the story do you get PoV's of them that paint them in a more sympathetic light, or that of the 10,000's of orcs that make up their armies. When compared to ASoIaF or Warcraft, LotR is very conservative in telling a story of the good guys versus the bad guys.

On the fallen angel, turned bad guy. That's constant reoccurring theme in a lot of stories. Take the Bible for instance(not sure the name of the series), it's a story based on a God that created the entire universe, so the villain is now one of his fallen angels instead of a great power that rivals him. And that has had a huge diehard fanbase for like... idk, forever now. And there's many others where a universe starts off with order/good and members of that break off to form the evil.
    There's newer ones where there is naturally a rival evil to the good and not a turned hero. Warhammer, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls and others have naturally good and naturally evil in their stories(with Warcraft also going hard on fallen angels trope) and have more societies in conflict who some may seem evil than others, but good doesn't always triumph over evil(though again, warcraft doesn't always commit to this).
    You are right in retrospective, but back then Tolkien's work was very different to the contemporary literature.

I advise you to fully read the Bible if you haven't recently, it's a pretty good book. Especially Melkor borrows heavily from Lucifer and that is not a bad thing, Tolkien's creation myth is very well thought out.
    I didn't meant that the three big evil guys are morally gray, like in G.R.R. Martins scribbling or some shit like that, but they were very well constructed bad guys and not some "Me smash" cartoon villains, like Arthas in WotLK or half baked mad titans like Sargeras, who has good reason to destroy all things because else more evil thing will take things from him. Gray isn't better, in most cases it is worse.
    The fallen angel archetype isn't gray, it's evil and has a understandable reason to be evil.
    ASoIaF isn't very good. It is written like George has read the Prince and now thinks he knows everything about the world, but I enjoyed it a lot when I was a edgy teen. The Geralt-Saga is way more black and white and also way more compelling.

WoW movie needed more cowbell!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    No, I expect them to be blown away by Undead (zombies), Illidan and the Lich King in a marketing campaign. Even people who don't care for WoW know the Lich King, he's the character that transcends his franchise, and to a lesser extent, Illidan too. Like even people who don't care about basketball know who Michael Jordan is.
    Then you expect too much.

Also comparing fictional lore characters from a single video game to an actual living sports legend.

What drugs are you on? I want some.

The live action shit was lame, wouldve worked better as a pure CGI movie like Advent Children. Aimed purely at fans instead of trying to explode like LOTR. The story was an awkward mash up of watered down and fan service. Total mess, but the CGI looked good.

the actors' acting is really bad.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It didn't even get a Director's Cut or an Extended Edition. What makes you think they'd ever make a sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Then you expect too much.

Also comparing fictional lore characters from a single video game to an actual living sports legend.

What drugs are you on? I want some.
    How--...what?

They're perfectly compatible, it's like saying "oh, I don't watch wrestling, but I know Hulk Hogan."
    Or "I don't watch golf, but I know Tiger Woods."
    "I don't read comic books, but I know Batman."

How are those analogies inconsistent?

Maybe you'll get this one.

"I don't watch South Park but I know who Cartman is."

10+ Year Old Account
    It should have been fully animated. Every cgi scene that involved real people looked hilariously bad. The dialogue was often cringey, and the plot was incredibly rushed, causing every character to fall flat

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    it was 100% done before the 40 minutes were cut. Universal made Legendary cut out 40 minutes of the movie because the believe it was too long for a video game movie.
    You know they do storyboards and animatics and stuff before spending MILLIONS on post production (which includes effects and looping and music scores), right? Just because it was "cut" doesn't mean it was finished. Unless you were involved in making the film or have a very great source that says otherwise, I am going to go ahead and not believe you (nothing personal). That's just not how film-making is done. There would be no reason to get that far along in the process and then decide to cut stuff out. Nope.

Real talk from someone that loves Warcraft but wasn't a huge fan of the movie...

Honestly it felt like the whole thing was being set up as some sort of trilogy instead of just focusing on making one single bad ass movie. I also understand they wanted to make it an equal horde and alliance story but the problem with that is you pretty much only end up with half the stories of each so getting invested in either felt pretty hollow. Length of movies are pretty set by the industry sadly unless you are one of the BIG boys. My opinion is they should have picked a side, focused on that story, made the movie less a fan service and more a good movie first. THEN if it pulls solid numbers use the sequels to flush out lore and the other side. If not, well, at least you had one movie that doesn't go down as 50 guys you don't know sporting foam armor beating up bad CGI monsters and when some of them die and accomplish things you just kind of shrug and move on with. Because that is really what we got...

Sure.. as a fan I found it ok in the end. But for someone that knew nothing.. like my wife for example.. it was an utter shit show. Almost embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    There's quite a few good movies out there based on video games, though you'll never find a "critically acclaimed" one because if you're not mainstream garbage critics don't care.
    Good to watch is subjective of course, but financially successful is not. And taking into the account of advertising costs PLUS budget most video game movies lose money and the very few that don't barely break even. Yet hollywood is still dumb enough to make them for some reason.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!