Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    The day we officially go 100% "you don't own a damn thing you paid for" with games is the day I start working on my backlog.
    This has happened to PC gaming years ago already.

Hmmm....this sounds...familiar.

Almost like...they tried similar bullshit before....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    i bought a ps4 for rdr2 and i also bought god of war. It was almost faster for me to download rdr2 than installing the disc of god of war. So i don't really care. Been discless for years now on pc. Guess it sucks for people with slow internet tho
    I feel the same. I could easily go disc-less console. Maybe it would also be a lot cheaper aswell.
    But I have some friends that can't even download the "day 1 patch" thaty every game has atm.

it is inevitable for consoles to go this direction in the generation after next most likely...but right now it's just stupid...it'll barely knock off much cost to produce and then they'll still charge the same as an xbox with a disc drive...so why bother?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Doesn't xbox/ps4 double up as a blu-ray player for most people?
    my xbox one x is a 4k bluray player right now...i barely use it outside of that...biggest waste of money ive spent imho.

5+ Year Old Account
    As someone who primarily games on PC this doesn't matter to me, but I have choices when it comes to where I buy games. On console this is a big issue cause I don't have any choices when it comes to buying games online. Also this is Microsoft we're talking about here where they wanted to prevent people from buying used games, which prompted Sony to create this epic video. If this gets popular then used games are done for.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And you realize in my original post I said they are not wasteful and that you don't own what you buy digitally.

Your reply to that was lol ok.

So if you got something to say make it clear and not some smart ass remark. If this is some kind of "Clean up the world from waste" crap then there is much more waste in the world then a few blu-ray cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been a fan of all digital.

But a core reason why steam gets praised over Microsoft/Sony doing it is because games are on sale all the time including big titles while with MS/Sony it can take ages if at all for some games to go on sale.

Hell for example Knack is on PSN right now for $40 and yet I can get a physical used copy for $10.
    so your definition of not wasteful is simply ... not as wasteful as the combined waste of the rest of the world so its all good?

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    so your definition of not wasteful is simply ... not as wasteful as the combined waste of the rest of the world so its all good?
    You must work for Ubisoft or EA who want an all digital future for the bottom line but would claim they want it cause it's "green".

In fact people like you don't understand what green is or what waste is. People collecting games or not is not going to stop Asia and Africa from dumping all their waste into rivers. Go preach that shit to someone who cares, because no one here does.

Also a reusable product is literally the exact opposite of waste if you want to understand what you're trying to preach.

I'd say I'm fine with a disc-less console. As long as there is an option to use a USB disc/blu ray drive or something.

Some people don't have the best internet and the size of games these days is huge.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You must work for Ubisoft or EA who want an all digital future for the bottom line but would claim they want it cause it's "green".

In fact people like you don't understand what green is or what waste is. People collecting games or not is not going to stop Asia and Africa from dumping all their waste into rivers. Go preach that shit to someone who cares, because no one here does.

Also a reusable product is literally the exact opposite of waste if you want to understand what you're trying to preach.
    except theres still a physical copy when there doesnt need to be one .... so it is waste.

except theres still a physical copy when there doesnt need to be one .... so it is waste.
    1) You have clearly have shown you don't know what waste or green is.

2) Physical copies are needed because not everyone can download 50GB+ games. There is even still Physical PC releases for this exact same reason (while not many).

You keep screaming its a waste by provide nothing to back it up. By ur logic a House shouldn't be made because all the materials used is a waste as well.

Also guess what your PC is more of a waste then my physical copy of GTAV. In 10+ years it will be in a landfill waiting to be burned down while my copy of GTAV will still be sitting on my shelve to be played when I see fit.

You also don't understand the concepts of reusable and biodegradable, If you did then you wouldn't claim physical games are a waste.

My advice to you is to know what your talking about before you start preaching your bullshit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

No different then when they tried to make the Xbox 1 games untradable. Means that you can't sell ,trade or let friends borrow your games.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    No different then when they tried to make the Xbox 1 games untradable. Means that you can't sell ,trade or let friends borrow your games.
    Yep I have been saying it for quite some time now.

The agenda they had with the XB1 has not changed, How they want to deliver that has. Their goal from day 1 is the same goal they got now and its to go all digital.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-11-18 at 05:56 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Again you don't seem educated on what you're trying to preach.

A product that can be reused by various owners and has usefulness for decades is literally the opposite of waste. If you really cared about these issues you would know this.

I guess being a Luddite with technology never really gels but I cant see phyiscal ever fully being gone.

Just like the top of the line watches are still analog. Theres something about being about to see how something works and holding it that people like.

Plus not everyone can afford unlimited internet, its quite an expense really.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-11-18 at 06:04 AM.

This is just a cut down version of the Xbox One S to get it down to a $150 price point. They're still going to make consoles with discs, just not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    This is just a cut down version of the Xbox One S to get it down to a $150 price point. They're still going to make consoles with discs, just not this one.
    The Blu-Ray drive in the XboxOne S isn't costing them $100 (Its $250 for a new S) and the hardware is so old keeping a Blu-Ray drive likely costs them little to nothing overall.

If this rumor is true its them trying to push more digital sells and a more digital market. They make way more money on digital sales than physical and it has been thier agenda since the announcement of the XB1.

It would be amazing if these online distributors, if they took their online network offline... offered a way of you paying them the cost of a disc/shipping... I don't know, send you a copy since their means of you downloading the game from their store has been removed. I mean, you DID pay for the game, you would only be paying for a physical copy of the installation/patch files.

Now if they removed or limited the DRM in said games, that's a different story. This could apply to any console or PC at that.

So, here's the thing, if the xbox is going discless it will in all likelihood require an always online verification to ensure the game are genuine.

Even with near 100% uptime on your connection there WILL be times where you can't connect to their servers and as such not be able to play a thing. this isn't good especially when you consider how shit general internet can be, America isn't great for internet, brazil is pretty shit, AU is bad, asia regularly has cut cables, Russia isn't great and the EU has problems.

If they don't then it is going to be pirated to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Call me old fashioned but ill stick to physical or not play it. I get a text message a day about someone trying to hack my psn and putting in the wrong password. A digital library is simply asking for gamer identity theft and I would rather not have my belongings be in the ultimate control of customer service.

Funny though they think this is a good idea after the debacle of trying to eliminate game trading when one was announced. It is just a roundabout way of doing the same shit.
    I don't understand why everything is becoming digital, so fast... it's like people don't want to live in physical reality anymore. I don't know, but it's scares AND frustrates me.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

15+ Year Old Account
    I get all my games digitally anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
    Here is something to believe in!