Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Well, back in vanilla, the top guilds on the server would join BGs as a team so they could "show off" their raid gear in a PvP setting to other people on the server as a victory lap and maybe a little guild advertisement. They'd stomp you in Arathi Basin and you'd be like "wow they are good who are they? Oh one of the top raiding guilds on the server!" And you'd almost feel honored to get killed by them or to kill them because these were the big boys coming to play you.

Also, due to the intense competition between guilds to get ranked as best on server, guilds would do farming and alt leveling and gearing to focus on the task of beating out their rival guilds on the server.

Today, none of that exists. There is no server pride. No server identity. People show up to raid log. And then start asking WHY do I want to raid log. So they even stop doing that. All of the social mechanics that existed in vanilla (and BC) provided the WHY which was stripped away in Wrath.

And that...is why Wrath sucked. The server community built up prior to wrath hung around in vestigal form for most of Wrath but by Cata in was gone and sub numbers began their descent.
    yea thats long gone. welcome to what the millenials call "inclusion" i think. or equality or some such. Or entitlement? all of the above?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, back in vanilla, the top guilds on the server would join BGs as a team so they could "show off" their raid gear in a PvP setting to other people on the server as a victory lap and maybe a little guild advertisement. They'd stomp you in Arathi Basin and you'd be like "wow they are good who are they? Oh one of the top raiding guilds on the server!" And you'd almost feel honored to get killed by them or to kill them because these were the big boys coming to play you.

Also, due to the intense competition between guilds to get ranked as best on server, guilds would do farming and alt leveling and gearing to focus on the task of beating out their rival guilds on the server.

Today, none of that exists. There is no server pride. No server identity. People show up to raid log. And then start asking WHY do I want to raid log. So they even stop doing that. All of the social mechanics that existed in vanilla (and BC) provided the WHY which was stripped away in Wrath.

And that...is why Wrath sucked. The server community built up prior to wrath hung around in vestigal form for most of Wrath but by Cata in was gone and sub numbers began their descent.
    I asked what you would be doing, not what the top 0.1% did.

Guilds still battle for world and server first.

You mostly wrote nonsense, the only part of your answer aimed at my post was "top guilds on the server would join BGs as a team so they could "show off" their raid gear". That's some top meaningful content there.

To your server identity, cross realm bg's were introduced in vanilla. Most of those Naxx geared people weren't even on your server. But now you're just changing the topic from my question "At this stage in any expansion, what would you normally be doing?"

And you'd almost feel honored to get killed by them
    Lol wtf. People like you are in the extreme minority.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-12-07 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    If you are bored try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdPEoJx5Zs&t=0s Look sick. :P And yes it is mmo game and this mods are here to test combat,etc.. You can also earn cosmetics what will translate into mmo game when its realesed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I asked what you would be doing, not what the top 0.1% did.
    Even if you weren't in the top guild on the server, you were somewhere in the pecking order, maybe 2nd, maybe 5th, maybe 7th. And you were trying to move up the ranks. It was VERY effective at keeping everyone engaged and recruiting. People would recruit inside the game and outside the game among friends that didn't play WoW to join in and help push. There's a reason why subs were exploding higher nonstop in vanilla and BC.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you weren't in the top guild on the server, you were somewhere in the pecking order, maybe 2nd, maybe 5th, maybe 7th. And you were trying to move up the ranks. It was VERY effective at keeping everyone engaged and recruiting. People would recruit inside the game and outside the game among friends that didn't play WoW to join in and help push. There's a reason why subs were exploding higher nonstop in vanilla and BC.
    That's still the same, wowprogress tracks it far better than any other site did in vanilla and TBC as well. No longer have to post on a website after each kill. Guilds still challenge for rankings, that is fact.

I still see recruitment messages in game, I still see recruitment posts made on forums.

You're doing a great job of ignoring my question, I'm starting to wonder why you even replied to me in the first place.

Unless your answer is, I would spend my time recruiting.

Subs were increasing in vanilla and TBC because the game was new, there was no other MMO that came close to as good as WoW at that time. Now we are spoiled with choice for online games.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-12-07 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    they are doubling servers to get ready before next expansion where they already announced free char transfers so they have to be ready when everybody will transfer to biggest servers so that then they can shut down all dead realms.

weak example preying on the fact that not everybody who plays wow is interested enough for FF to read new expansion announcements
    You didn't read the announcemnts either probably as you made some significant errors. Server transfer is still isn't free. Visiting realms is, but that's a bit more limited. Your home server still can't change unless you pay. One free server transfer is give because you might not be happy with the datacenter you get after the server redistribution. It's called being considerate to your playerbase.

Oh and about the shutting down of dead servers...I need a source for that one. I don't remember that part from either the keynote or the live letter.

That's still the same, wowprogress tracks it far better than any other site did in vanilla and TBC as well.

I still see recruitment messages in game, I still see recruitment posts made on forums.

You're doing a great job of ignoring my question.

Unless your answer is, I would spend my time recruiting.

Subs were increasing in vanilla and TBC because the game was new, there was no other MMO that came close to as good as WoW at that time.
    No no no, its completely dead. Server identity is totally dead now. One of the WORST things is to have a third party website track this stuff. It should all be tracked in-game. All of it in-game. Absolute must. It was in a way tracked in-game in vanilla and BC because people would chat about it on global. All of the rankings of server kills should be moved into the in-game calendar or something. I've said this for years...
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

At this stage in any expansion, what would you normally be doing?
    Why are you talking like it's the end of the expansion or something? Game came out 4 months ago and there's already a content drought.

At this stage in any expansion, what would you normally be doing?
    Well, in last expansion new raid would be released about a month ago, with new big dungeon two weeks before that, all of that in expansion that was released at the end of august, instead in the middle and with Nighthold coming one week earlier than Battle of Dazar'alor. So there's that. Other than that, probably play PoE

10+ Year Old Account
    No no no, its completely dead. Server identity is totally dead now. One of the WORST things is to have a third party website track this stuff. It should all be tracked in-game. All of it in-game. Absolute must. It was in a way tracked in-game in vanilla and BC because people would chat about it on global. All of the rankings of server kills should be moved into the in-game calendar or something. I've said this for years...
    It's not completely dead. Guilds still challenge for ranks, it's fact. Deny it all you want.

It was never properly tracked in game in vanilla or TBC. It was tracked on the WoW forums or some crappy 3rd party website which did a poor job.

You're still ignoring my question "At this stage in any expansion, what would you normally be doing?"

It looks like your answer is "I would be recruiting". Amazing content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corruptus View Post
    Well, in last expansion new raid would be released about a month ago, with new big dungeon two weeks before that, all of that in expansion that was released at the end of august, instead in the middle and with Nighthold coming one week earlier than Battle of Dazar'alor. So there's that. Other than that, probably play PoE
    When I say at this stage, I mean the expansion is a few months old but the first big patch isn't out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    Why are you talking like it's the end of the expansion or something? Game came out 4 months ago and there's already a content drought.
    Seems to be quite telling though, don't you think? It was decent to awesome when we were fighting a universal army of fiery-green death, and faction conflict was largely on the backbench. But now? Same old faction conflict nonsense and a boring Azerite mechanic (for all their flaws, artifacts were a great idea).

Meanwhile, lore wise, the real enemy is having a laugh while we kill each other. Game wise, the community is barely being listened to, if at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corruptus View Post
    Yeah BFA is definitely missing that extra small raid and couple 5 mans at this time. It would breathe some fresh air into the content.

As I said in my first post here, I barley play at the moment, if at all (didn't bother to login to raid past 2 weeks). But then again, that's perfectly normal for me as I've always been a raid logger once I have things done.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-12-07 at 12:42 PM.

It looks like your answer is "I would be recruiting". Amazing content.
    Let's compare to Legion which I enjoyed. I'd still be acquiring artifact appearances for all 3 of my specs. I'd be doing the Trial of Valour raid and Karazhan which both came out 2 months ago in October. The Suramar campaign started over 9 weeks from the release of 7.1 so I'd be finishing that up in December. Also because I'd actually still be playing, I'd probably be doing rated BGs to get a saddle and buy a PvP mount. Nighthold being a month away wouldn't phase me because the stream of content is steady.

What I'm saying is I miss Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    Let's compare to Legion which I enjoyed. I'd still be acquiring artifact appearances for all 3 of my specs. I'd be doing the Trial of Valour raid and Karazhan which both came out 2 months ago in October. The Suramar campaign started over 9 weeks from the release of 7.1 so I'd be finishing that up in December. Also because I'd actually still be playing, I'd probably be doing rated BGs to get a saddle and buy a PvP mount. Nighthold being a month away wouldn't phase me because the stream of content is steady.

What I'm saying is I miss Legion.
    That's true, Legion did have a nice flow of content.

It would be nice to have a mini raid and some new dungeons to have between 8.0 and 8.1.

I'd still be a raid logger at this point though.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-12-07 at 12:53 PM.

When I say at this stage, I mean the expansion is a few months old but the first big patch isn't out yet.
    Well the pace of releasing content is directly tied to the answer, isn't it? There is difference between being two months in without new content and four.

Deleted
    "At this stage in any expansion, what would you normally be doing?"

Since nobody is properly answering your question, here is mine. Normally if you've experienced all that interest you with your main, you level your alts. If you don't have those or have already done so, you move to old content that you haven't done yet.

Alt leveling and old content grinding is only as fun as the class design is. In this case: absolutely not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing he does or say interests me IN THE SLIGHTEST.

He has nothing to do with actual game entertainment or information regarding it, in general...

All he does nowadays is just trolling around and in the in between of trolling and gaming, he posts videos of him, trolling on what others think or say (either about him or the game itself).

Having said that, people enjoy / dislike games according to their own pace.
    Someone with 2 hours game time per day, enjoy WoW differently than someone with 8,12,16 hours per day.

Take this with a pinch of salt and move on with your life. You surely have better things to do...
    Reckoning Bomb - Unleashes the Reckoning upon the Scourge, inflicting ridiculous amounts of damage. Some might even say the damage is ludicrous.

If you think about it, what is the "meaning" of content? What do we search for when we talk about "content"?

From an artistic perspective, WoW: BfA is spot on. Nice landscapes, good looking animations, etc.
    What we miss is a proper REWARD structure. And this isn't something that takes months (or even weeks) to get it right.

This is, this IS the spreadsheet thing devs are doing, and their managers telling them how-to.

Interestingly, people DO love things they can slowly work towards. Do we have ANYTHING like that in BfA? No! They even nerfed gold rewards so those players are out of the picture, too.

Getting the BEST gear is all RNG, but not "only" RNG, it is timegated too (the weekly M+ chest). If you want powerful items, you have to pray for Titanforging and farm-farm-farm M+.
    Why not have a farmable currency that buys you a SOCKET for an item?
    Why not have some weekly capped valor to get a warforge on an item?
    Why not have an upgrade to your Azerite items item level with sanguicell or expulsom or some craftable shit with extremely rare BUT FARMABLE materials?
    Why not make ALL raid bosses on all difficulties, rare WQ mobs, M0 endbosse, M+ chests, etc (just like in Legion) drop Azerite armor that is equivalent to the max level mythic-raid version, BUT with randomized traits, so we farm everything just like in Legion (hey, Blizz, this is an RNG I can stand behind)?

Why do they had to implement things that just SMELLS of "you have to keep subbed for this, ahaha"?

Oh and MOST importantly:
    I am not 2 year old anymore. I don't need (or want!) for Blizzard to hold my hand.
    I want complex specs that are fun to play. Go and implement talents for casuals, or whoever Blizz thinks their playerbase is, to simplify their gameplay to be just like now. But please, Blizz knows that many many types of player play their games, why not cater to the hardcore folks, too?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Step 1: log in
    Step 2: Jump in Boralus
    Step 3: get bored
    Step 4: go the the forums to show my frustration

FFS Blizzad, I want to play wow but there´s nothing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Please explain the differences and not just in a vague way. Just dropping references and buzzwords won't help you.
    That's an awful way to communicate - as if I have to justify anything for you.

They feel generic because they are. The affixes make them so. They are always the same ("Oh, but they change every week" - yes, they change between the same pool of affixes). Complexity with M+ comes with the affixes. The instances are also extremely linear - made for timed runs, because that's what they are.

Let's compare to what we had in especially TBC and WotLK. Instances like Black Morass, all the 5 mans in Hellfire Citadel (including the timed run in Shattered Halls, which was brilliant), Magister's Terrace, the amazing 3 5 man ICC instances, ending up with LK pursuing you. These 5 mans were fucking BRILLIANT! They had story, they had Heroic modes which made them more difficult, they had intelligent boss fights. And you didn't have to think about how much trash you could avoid - there wasn't a count on trash anyway!

I won't go into the amazing 5 man instances in Vanilla - Blizzard will never ever make stuff like the original Dire Maul Tribute run or the fantastic city of Blackrock Depths (which was so incredible that they decided to include it in the Dark Iron race).

The problem, as I see it, is that when Blizzard decides to up the competitive side of certain parts of WoW, they also have to flatten or streamline the same part to make it more accessible and convenient to play. Take Arena. 3v3 being the competitive bracket means that most of WoW PvP is now balanced around 3v3. Is that fun? I don't think so. I like Battlegrounds a LOT more. But the main balancing and development is around 3v3 and so BGs don't get much love - and my preferred spec gets balanced around 3v3.

5 man instances used to be my preferred PvE gameplay. It used to be a format which was influenced by the great fantasy books and stories. In WoW, that meant a lot of story tied to the overarching story of the game, architecture, enemies, heroes etc. And you used to be able to do all sorts of fun stuff with your class, some of it fairly unique and fun.

Ever seen the movie "Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring"? When they cross into Moria. THAT is THE template of a classic dungeon crawl.

Now, it's on a timer. It's a dungeon run (used to be called a dungeon crawl, btw). The mobs should be gathered in big groups and AoE'd down (no use for CC here). Most story elements are just cut out (takes too much time anyway). All of the small and nice touches that integrated 5 man instances in my MMORPG WoW experience are gone when we look at 5 man instances. It is no longer a story unfolding, with me in a leading role.

Instead, it's a sprint. I might get loot at the end. But it just feels meaningless.

PS: Now, you can wipe and it incurs a small time penalty. In TBC, you could wipe for hours and there wasn't any hand-holding. Not good enough to kill the boss or some hard trash? Too bad, maybe you should just leave until you had better gear. I loved how the game was more brutal back then.
    Last edited by Whitepaw; 2018-12-07 at 02:55 PM.