Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

How do you feel about Blizz partly funding their esports prize pool with toy sales?

NEW TOYS FOR ME? I PROMISE I WON’T BREAK THEM THIS TIME!
    "As both Arena and MDI grow, we want to give fans a chance to further support the programs—and have some fun along the way! Soon we will introduce two new in-game toys to our shop (details to follow). A portion of the sale of these toys will contribute to the prize pools for both WoW esports programs.

These toys will go on sale in the spring. As the proceeds will contribute to the year’s final LAN event prize pools for AWC and MDI, those prize pools will be announced later this year."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...sports-in-2019

Pitch forks at the ready?

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually thats fine. Id rather the support be optional because i want my money to go towards the game and not something i have no interest in outside of the game.

But id rathet theyd get rid of the shop so i can get this stuff in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about canning the faux outrage and just not buy them? How about that? If you don't want to support WoW eSports then ignore those items.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Many Esport games do it that way tbh.
    Rainbow Six gets its price pool from its Elite Skins and I'm super ok with that

I imagine their activision overlords telling them to shut down wow esports the way they did with HotS, so blizz now has to literally crowd fund wow tournaments, lol.

Why would this even be outrage worthy? If you don't want to support it, don't. Valve has been doing this with TI since TI2 or 3 and it blew up to be one of the biggest esport games due to it. It's healthy and helps growing the esport scene. Running and funding an esport scene isn't charity, it's done because there's profit in it.

Dota is doing this for at least the last 5 years and nobdy cried.

God the wow kids these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kos666 View Post
    "As both Arena and MDI grow, we want to give fans a chance to further support the programs—and have some fun along the way! Soon we will introduce two new in-game toys to our shop (details to follow). A portion of the sale of these toys will contribute to the prize pools for both WoW esports programs.

These toys will go on sale in the spring. As the proceeds will contribute to the year’s final LAN event prize pools for AWC and MDI, those prize pools will be announced later this year."

i like this idea. its just toys so nobody should care. and people who enjoy mdi and arenas championships will without doubt gladly support people they cheer for.

that said i remember stremers saying something like this on allcraft while interviewing Sco or someone as support for people who participate in this event . guess blizzard took their idea

even if activision will take 99% for temselves its still gonna be 50-100k $ as prizes for contestants.

15+ Year Old Account
    Overwatch League already does this, plenty of other publishers do this. Real sports teams do it, too.

It's merch. It should funnel money back into the esports scene that spawned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    I imagine their activision overlords telling them to shut down wow esports the way they did with HotS, so blizz now has to literally crowd fund wow tournaments, lol.
    this is very possible

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Or maybe it's just a common business practice for games with esports scenes and Blizzard has actually been slow to adopt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Dota is doing this for at least the last 5 years and nobdy cried.

God the wow kids these days.
    Because a free to play game and a pay to play AND a subscription based game are the same right?

I wouldn't have an issue with this if it didn't say a portion of the money is going to the prizepools. Blizzard are notorious for their lousy prizepools already.

Who cares...if you like it buy them...if you don’t then don’t buy them. Too many damn people want to control everything because of.....Trump?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's an excuse to expand their shop while using esports to rake in advertisement. At our expense.

10+ Year Old Account
    No interest in toys, so it doesn't really effect me. On a side note, arguing games like dota do it is a false equivalency, as dota is a f2p game that relies on it for income.

Yeah don't care about E-sports so not something I would ever spend a dime on.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    But id rathet theyd get rid of the shop so i can get this stuff in game.
    That doesn't really make sense though. If the stuff wasn't for sale in the store the stuff wouldn't be created in the first place.

As for the OP, seriously you care about this? I assume you live in a capitalist country (but maybe not) ... how are you able to cope on a day to day basis?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    That doesn't really make sense though. If the stuff wasn't for sale in the store the stuff wouldn't be created in the first place.
    Huh? How did they make toys, mounts, and pets before the store then?

Quote Originally Posted by kos666 View Post

Ehm, why? Whats wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Huh? How did they make toys, mounts, and pets before the store then?
    They made far fewer. Isn't really that hard to figure out why they started making more. It's the way business works ... things need to be funded. Also, you should realize they still do make a lot of stuff available in-game.