Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    It also highly depended on what other players on your server/faction did.

We had an organized order of PvP rankers on our server to keep it somewhat predictable.

Even then, it took a ridiculous amount of time, I won't deny that.

- - - Updated - - -

Playing with an organized team on a WSG or AB weekend still could net you a lot more honor then randoms.
    While you hope to play vs randoms for easy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    ...to stay competitive, 3 locks minimum, then a shadowpriest (not as easy to have someone play one, as in my experience they all quit because of boring gameplay aka oom 24/7 or using 50 manapots a raid, also being behind mages/locks in loot priority most of the time)...
    Shadowpriest raiding?

You could pull aggro at any bossfight with a few MindBlasts, no matter how long you waited wanding the boss. Every caster had mana issues and without massivly overgearing bosses with ultra short fight times, the reality was you had to use your wand for short time periods, nothing special about that. But the aggro issue made Shadowpriest basicly unusable in raids for anything else than combatressurction (AFK) or for doing nothing but Pain+Wanding, basicly AFKing again.

Using manapots, manafruits, manawhatever you had to farm anyways as any mana user, was zero issue, since it was a requirement for any kind of raiding. Healers had to farm all those buffs with healspec, spend hours and hours for each raiding hour, what kind of DPS player would show up and not use anything in the raidfight???`

I guess you could get yourself a spot in a one-time-family and friends raidgroup and just leech your way for a single clear. Would you call that raiding? I would call it in todays WoW a sold boost run, with a bit of "social engineering" you did not have to pay gold, but calling such thing raiding in vanilla is questionable at best. ^^
    -

I hated the 5 minute paladin buffs and having to wait all the time on the paladin team to keep the buffs up.
    Blizzard is Arthas, Activision is Frostmourne, together as Activision-Blizzard they are the Lich King. #FireBobbyKotick

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Gameplay in Vanilla is clearly inferior to TBC's one, and can be somewhat boring sometimes.
    Unability to store enchantments (like the enchanting scrolls in WotLK), so you can't enchant your own characters on the same account.
    Need to press a key to auto-loot.
    As Alliance, the position of several fly points is just infuriating (Felwood and STV, looking at you).
    40-man raids are epic, but even then I found them horrible to manage. 20-man raids were always a better size in my opinion.
    Debuff slots limits.

So you never played Vanilla and are repeating forum BS. There was never, ever a time in WoW where this was even remotely true. Next.
    Bro I played vanilla hardcore and this is absolutely true. The grind from level 42 to about 51 and the mid 30s until you get to STV I think were both pretty bad. There were probably zones on Kalimdor I should have gone too but it wasn't obvious like it had been until 35 which made it really difficult to find quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Bro I played vanilla hardcore and this is absolutely true. The grind from level 42 to about 51 and the mid 30s until you get to STV I think were both pretty bad. There were probably zones on Kalimdor I should have gone too but it wasn't obvious like it had been until 35 which made it really difficult to find quests.
    And this is why they had quests that started in Eastern Kingdoms that would take you all the way over to Kalimdor and made you come back. Certainly wasn't perfect but it's the reason they did that to try and get people to find different places.

Fishing took even longer.

1) Will of the Forsaken.

2) The fact that time > skill rewarded you with rank/gear. I have no solution to this problem. But I dislike it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Once my favorite pet ran away I felt so bad.
    Once I was out of ammo, had to fight in melee.
    Not everything was a hunter weapon as meme sayz.
    Eranikus never dropped epic sword to me, I really wanted one.
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Buying reagents to buff fortitude
    Asking mages to make water
    Grinding Tyr’s Hand for gold as a priest
    Down ranking heals. I known some love this but I thought it was dumb.
    Running out of quests and having to grind to 60.
    Molten Core. I was so sick of that place after a while.
    Having keys filling up your bag space. The same with the Onyxia neck. I’m pretty sure you had to have it in your bag to enter even if you didn’t used it.

Dishonerable kills, one of the worst idea's they had in vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    As alliance I always went to The Shimmering Flats in thousand needles, it was easy to get there to lvl 35.
    Blizzard is Arthas, Activision is Frostmourne, together as Activision-Blizzard they are the Lich King. #FireBobbyKotick

i liked nearly everything besides class playstyle of most classes.

vanilla + class design from wotlk or mop = my dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Buying reagents to buff fortitude
    Asking mages to make water
    Grinding Tyr’s Hand for gold as a priest
    Down ranking heals. I known some love this but I thought it was dumb.
    Running out of quests and having to grind to 60.
    Molten Core. I was so sick of that place after a while.
    Having keys filling up your bag space. The same with the Onyxia neck. I’m pretty sure you had to have it in your bag to enter even if you didn’t used it.
    ah right, the keys sucked. forgot them

Quote Originally Posted by Canield View Post
    I honestly dont remember being bothered by anything back then.

Reading through comments I wonder if these were people who dont look back at the game the same way as I do. A lot of people dislike simplicity and artificial world scaling(ie walking everywhere, placing impassable terrain in a zone). But simplicity and travel time are what opened up opportunities to socialize.
    What do you mean that travel opened up opportunities to socialize?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I never really enjoyed waiting for Honor points to come on reset day. I understand it's fundamental to Vanilla, but I would have preferred it a different way.
    If it had updated once every 3 hours or something i think it would have been ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The only thing I disliked back then was the insane loot RNG. I lost count of how many times I killed Voone trying to get my hunter gloves so I could continue the dungeon questline.

- - - Updated - - -

Did we get the keyring during classic or did it come later?
    WoW Icon update.png Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Added. - according to some random wikki

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Buying reagents to buff fortitude - mats for buffs in general was pretty lame
    Asking mages to make water - 100% annoying
    Grinding Tyr’s Hand for gold as a priest - never did it myself
    Down ranking heals. I known some love this but I thought it was dumb. - i think one of the dumbest parts of early wow. Just poor game design imo.
    Running out of quests and having to grind to 60. - the fanbois will say you are wrong and that there was always enough quests to get to 60.
    Molten Core. I was so sick of that place after a while. - agree
    People will nitpick this stuff but i actually agree with most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    it was set up so letting the pre-made team win gave you better honour per hour

a loss was better honour per hour then a long win during holiday weekends
    Which is pretty shit in my opinion

I think my number one is the lack of things to do after you had everything from the end-game dungeons. If you didn't want to raid or your server didn't have a raid guild with a raid time that worked for you, the choices were AB, WSG, AV, level an alt, or run the dungeons again.

Number two would be the way resistances worked. Even at max resist of 315 players still had about a 10% chance to take full damage from an elemental attack. It's one of the few things I fault Blizz with that even with the information available at the time it was a bad decision. With even a remote understanding of how tanking works a reasonable developer should have known that was a bad idea. Maybe there were technical limitations, but I doubt it.

The other thing I fault them with is not communicating to players that not all specs were going to be raid viable. It's doubly bad for Paladins, which in Diablo 2 were the flavor of the month unstoppable killing machines when WoW launched, and I think many people that created one in WoW expected the same. Leveling a character took months, and there was no way new players could have known that Blizz wasn't even going to make a tier set for ret at all, much less balance the spec to be competitive.

The last few things I always wondered why they didn't do with the information available at the time was to try to get people from the same metro areas to all play on the same servers, and also to put the time zone a server was on on the actual character creation screen. Most people just picked a server at random and if they got three months in to leveling before realizing a server at a closer data center had half the lag, too bad.

Weapon skills weren't great, but they were more tedious than game-breaking.

Itemization was horrible, confusing, and counter-intuitive, but that was just inexperience. Farming was also bad, but no reasonable person at the time would have expected the level of tryhard some guilds were willing to go to.

Raid rotations were awful, but that was mostly because of the technical limitations caused by the debuff limit.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2019-02-25 at 04:48 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

rolling a hunter and bieng treated like a 12 year old by default :P

Coming from WC3 I thought it lacked voiced lines, especially in open world. It was nice hearing lines when you aggroed a group of creeps in the campaigns.
    I am currently writing an addon that should solve that, though. For instance I added Garithos lines like "INHUMAN BEAAAST" on aggroed Scarlet Crusade npcs when you are non-human.
    Currently wondering if I should add a chance to play a line for most common npcs (could become tedious during farming), or just named ones. Hopefully I'll finish the thing before Classic releases!

Yes, that's an incredibly insignificant detail, but I guess that shows how much I like Vanilla and how I really have to dig if I want to find something I disliked.
    Last edited by Koward; 2019-02-25 at 09:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It has been so long time that I don't thankfully remember what I disliked. But I remember both liking and disliking how it was incredibly hard to see an AV conclude.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

As a warrior, 10 min dots that deals a minuscule amount of damage every 3 seconds, but interrupts eating and bandaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The only thing I disliked back then was the insane loot RNG. I lost count of how many times I killed Voone trying to get my hunter gloves so I could continue the dungeon questline.

- - - Updated - - -

Did we get the keyring during classic or did it come later?
    Keyring was during vanilla. It should be there if we are 1.12

7+ Year Old Account
    PvP and class design