Poll: If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warp engines.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    faster than light travel
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    you didn't include what i wanted.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

replicator is the greatest thing that could ever happen to mankind imo.

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    replicator is the greatest thing that could ever happen to mankind imo.
    Sadly if a scientist invited it today they would likely be kill and then the plans destroyed or hidden from the public.

15+ Year Old Account
    warhammer 40K style warp travel. Have fun.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

The replicator is my "practical" choice, but my Holodeck is the "happiness" choice. And incidentally doesn't the Holodeck include replicator technology? I mean when food is produced on the Holodeck it's edible so I imagine its replicated. A Holodeck lets you live whatever life you want, heck it can let you be the god of your own world.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2019-03-29 at 10:44 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    None of the ones you have listed. I would choose mind uploading into articulated and customize-able artificial bodies. Also known as one of the closest things to immortality you could get, on top of looking any way you want and basically having super powers.

EDIT: Voted replicator as my thread choice. Being able to get any food, clothing, material, etc. at the press of a button would be nuts.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2019-03-29 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    Warp engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    faster than light travel
    That tech alone wouldn't get you very far. You'd need a bunch more tech to make it possible, most of all a Deflector shield, otherwise the dust in space would tear your ship apart.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    warhammer 40K style warp travel. Have fun.
    I feel the Warp overtaking me! It is a good pain!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Teleporter. I'd love to be able to beam myself back and forth between places.
    Except teleporter kills you on the one side and creates your copy on the other, so the actual you will never go anywhere except non-existence

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Replicator would be easier to hide. Buy new products, replicate them, return unopened original for a full refund.
    "You wouldn't download a car"

Site to Site Transporter sounds good in theory, but replication would literally instantly solve about 99% of our current problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Sadly if a scientist invited it today they would likely be kill and then the plans destroyed or hidden from the public.
    Bullshit. The company owning replication would immediately break all sound barriers... err, I mean money barriers.

It would be stolen, but definitely not hidden.

I hate long road trips, driving or riding. The teleportation would be a godsend.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

My answer is obvious, Replicator. Hunger would be eradicated.
    Just from the choices in the poll, I'm going to agree with you on this one. Transporters would be a close second.

If I can choose stuff that wasn't listed in the poll, I'd go with anything Dr. Crusher (Star Trek TNG) has in her office that could cure cancer. iirc, she had this medic gun thing that could do anything from instantly heal cuts and scrapes to cure cancer. That'd top my list.

edit: warp travel (or any kind of tech that could get us to other stars/galaxies in a reasonable amount of time) would be awesome too. But as someone else pointed out, we'd need more than just the speed tech to get us there safely. Otherwise, we just get torn to shit by space dust, run into random space debris, etc, between point A and point B.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-03-29 at 11:55 PM.

Body replicator with mind Transfer, aka eternal life

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    "You wouldn't download a car"
    Buy expensive diamond, replicate diamond several dozen times, return diamond for full refund due to "financial difficulties", sell diamonds, buy any car you want.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Site to Site Transporter sounds good in theory, but replication would literally instantly solve about 99% of our current problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Bullshit. The company owning replication would immediately break all sound barriers... err, I mean money barriers.

It would be stolen, but definitely not hidden.
    Would it though? Sounds like they type of thing that once someone buys it once.. they never buy it again.. and not even every individual. One in a family. Sounds like the type of thing that splashes in the pan.. and then suddenly stops.. but if you sale oil for the next 200 years...

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    You can apply for next mission to Mars and get off this planet, and go live in the amazing Mars! Anyone* over 18 can apply.
    Keep in mind, it is a one-way trip.

https://www.mars-one.com/faq/selecti...tions-to-apply

would be ready and packed by tommorow if it had the chance

replicators would seem to be the most useful.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano