Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Still nothing for Diablo? But more importantly, what about Lost Vikings?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Dunno how they can dare call those statues "premium".....

They look like cheap plastic toys.
    Pretty sure they are just like the Greymane and... uhh.. whatever orc they did before. I have the Greymane one, and while I like it, it is plastic and I certainly wouldn't say it justifies the ticket price hike.

Last year was the first time I didn't attend or buy the virtual ticket, and I doubt I will this year either. I don't have much hope for them turning WoW around, and I'm not that invested in any of their other games.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I like how they think their convention is worth $230 after last year and the continual decline in quality/players across their games.

I also like how they had a record year of profits, say they do Blizzcon "for the fans and operate at a loss" and yet still go cash grabby as hell on it. And introduce a new 500 dollar pass which really isn't worth $270 more than a regular ticket lol.
    Here is a crazy idea, if you don't think it is worth it do not pay for it. Simple as that. Going on whining about how a corporation is so greedy for doing things for money does literally nothing but make you look incredibly naive. I have never paid for a ticket, digital or otherwise, because I have never seen the value in it. I get all the important news for free same day it's announced.

But to address your comment of them thinking their convention is worth what they charge; it is, because people will pay it. If they didn't sell out or close to it I am sure it would be reduced.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, the pauldrons on that human soldier statuette are fucking enormous -- the right pauldron is bigger than his chestplate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    My guess would be that it was always contracted 3rd party event planners. You aren't going to ask the people answering questions on forums to organize a multi-day convention for tens of thousands of people involving dozens of other companies and parties, as well as a built in filming and livestreaming service. You have someone who's entire career is based on doing that organize it. And you aren't going to pay someone full-time year round to organize one event that you decide whether or not to have on a yearly basis, so whoever does it is probably not a Blizzard employee, but a group hired by Blizzard specifically for the event.
    In the past, they've certainly had third parties do a lot of the logistical and technical things, like the livestreaming and ticket sales and security and whatnot. However, a shitton of the actual events have been either organised or hosted or both by the community departments. Things like the Darkmoon Faire, on-site events and showcases (pin trading, signature wall, art display, etc), the cosplay contests and basically all of the "Community Night," organising fansite interviews, handling the press room and playtest areas, as well as planning and arranging the particular panels for their respective games, etc. Basically, a ton of stuff that actually impacts the experience of the con-goer was done by people on the teams for those games themselves.

Nearly all the community teams have been gutted, and those people are mostly gone. Those jobs are going to have to be picked up by other parties that maybe don't know and understand the community as well, but if nothing else, don't have the years of experience to build off of the way that dedicated employees did. I don't trust it to be done as well but even if it is, I've still got a sour taste in my mouth about dismissing those employees to begin with, only to replace them with interns and contractors.

(fwiw community managers did a lot more than answer forum questions, nor did they have a full time job just to handle blizzcon stuff)
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

While I don’t care too much, I think it would have been better to do a goody bag as well as the statue for the 25th year celebration.

The statues look like the saurfang/greymane one, and they cost around 55$, isn't that around the price of the goodybags?

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It'll be another 10 dollar price hike and the rewards will be.... an IOU note.
    Sold!
    /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    In the past, they've certainly had third parties do a lot of the logistical and technical things, like the livestreaming and ticket sales and security and whatnot. However, a shitton of the actual events have been either organised or hosted or both by the community departments. Things like the Darkmoon Faire, on-site events and showcases (pin trading, signature wall, art display, etc), the cosplay contests and basically all of the "Community Night," organising fansite interviews, handling the press room and playtest areas, as well as planning and arranging the particular panels for their respective games, etc. Basically, a ton of stuff that actually impacts the experience of the con-goer was done by people on the teams for those games themselves.

Nearly all the community teams have been gutted, and those people are mostly gone. Those jobs are going to have to be picked up by other parties that maybe don't know and understand the community as well, but if nothing else, don't have the years of experience to build off of the way that dedicated employees did. I don't trust it to be done as well but even if it is, I've still got a sour taste in my mouth about dismissing those employees to begin with, only to replace them with interns and contractors.

(fwiw community managers did a lot more than answer forum questions, nor did they have a full time job just to handle blizzcon stuff)
    Shrug. Darkmoon faire didn't exist the year I went so I can't really comment on it, but isn't its whole thing being largely Dev based, not support staff? I think you are both exaggerating the impact of the layoffs and overvaluing "dedicated employees". You do not need a dedicated CM to put up the signature wall or the art gallery, those aren't even the kinds of things they'd be doing. I don't recall the actual hosting of the costume or voice line contests ever being amazing, those are entirely on the fans. I don't think Blizzcon is going to be ruined because one awkward person introducing people for a contest is going to be replaced by a different awkward person introducing people for a contest. I've never been a collectable person, but watching video of the pin trading area, it likewise seems to be 99% attendees doing there thing.

Panels are facilitated by CMs, but they aren't planned by them--like just on a basic logistic level. The devs are the ones who know what they want to talk about and reveal and are organizing their own information for what they feel should be talked about. Ythisens was cool, but let's be real here, it's not like he's sitting down Ion and going "alright Ion, we're going to announce the next expansion, and here's the information we're going to tell them, and it would probably work best in this order and I think we'll save this bit of lore for later and the models for this part aren't quite done so maybe get video footage of this instead". Devs were sitting CMs down and going "here is a bunch of information we need in a blog post to be posted during or just after the panel."

It is going to be the same thing as ever. Not having those CMs hasn't hindered their interviews for 8.2, or them pulling in people to playtest it. Having those employees didn't make Blizzcon 2018 not super lackluster compared to 2017. So why would you think not having them is suddenly going to tank 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachsophone View Post
    I am an admitted Blizzard fan-boy, who usually has their back. But even I have to admit, that was pretty terrible. I hope they learn from it, and make this year the best yet.
    Well YouTube is still filled with Blizzard shills ( T&E, Hazel, etc ) and for a decent streamer on Twitch 230 USD is pocket cash so yeah tickets will sell out as usual.
    After the recent events at Blizzard the past year and quality ( or lack of ) in their games + last Blizzcon and it's facepalm moments + the price hike I think the average Joe will be less drawn in to go then let's say 7 years ago.

Regular Ticket - $229, up from $199 last year
    Portal Pass Ticket - $550, with access to a pre-event evening, Portal Pass Lounge, early entry, shorter security lines, and preferred parking
    Holy hell... I once thought I'd finally go to one of these Blizzcons but that's never going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    too much left? there is only 8.2 and 8.3 left,i doubt it will be 8.4 like mob

i think they will jus announce/teaser the expansion, but not show many things.

But yeah they could just advertise 8.3
    Isn't it the norm for the year after the expansion, to do the trailer for the next expansion, even if the final raid isn't out yet?(which it should be out close to then)

I remember before ICC came out, we got the Cata trailer and many people thought that(that) meant we were going to detour and fight Deathwing before Arthas. xD

25 year celebration and this is the result? Overpriced tickets and a statue. Oh how quality has dropped after their fiasco last year when a meme was born from their idiocy and uncaring towards their fans. People are free to spend their money on these tickets and probably will but 229$ can be put towards something else. With the prices from regular price and Portal Pass ticket its just furthers bring into reality that we're nothing but payers to them not players as they once saw us.

This is the Blizzcon that either makes it or breaks it for Blizz.I try not to be cynical, but after last year I'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex Major View Post
    Pretty sure they are just like the Greymane and... uhh.. whatever orc they did before. I have the Greymane one, and while I like it, it is plastic and I certainly wouldn't say it justifies the ticket price hike.

Last year was the first time I didn't attend or buy the virtual ticket, and I doubt I will this year either. I don't have much hope for them turning WoW around, and I'm not that invested in any of their other games.
    This was the case for many including myself. And will continue to be so this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by alosiboy View Post
    The statues look like the saurfang/greymane one, and they cost around 55$, isn't that around the price of the goodybags?
    The statues look like cheap Chinese Knock offs TBH

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Why should it be the last one? I dont get this reasoning. Is there any signs of this being the last one? Is Blizzard shutting down?
    Many reasons. Cost cutting and control from ATVI ( blizzcon could easily just become Activiscon) , The ATVI stock price being way down. The state of the Video hgame industry at the moment is shit for AAA companies. Blizzard being forced to Work on New games and produce them regularly to please Overlod Kotick. Blizzard is not printing money like they did in the old days.

Another big reason is California itself. Cali is getting ridiculous to do business in any more. Its why so many Tech companies and fleeing the state and going to TExas

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post
    This was the case for many including myself. And will continue to be so this year too.
    Why pay for a Virtual ticket when you can just watch it for free on youtube?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Dont forget your phones people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Why pay for a Virtual ticket when you can just watch it for free on youtube?
    In-game stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually am legitimately surprised they're doing one this year.

Another price hike? Meh I'll *TRY* to buy tickets. Won't be bummed if I don't get in though

To the people that hate Blizzard Store and think its "OH MY GOD PAY TO WIN"... the Portal Pass *IS* Pay to Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    In-game stuff?
    Most of the ingame stuff is garbage. I never see anyone on the mounts from a couple years ago any more . Last year there was nothing worth the price

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I actually am legitimately surprised they're doing one this year.

Another price hike? Meh I'll *TRY* to buy tickets. Won't be bummed if I don't get in though

To the people that hate Blizzard Store and think its "OH MY GOD PAY TO WIN"... the Portal Pass *IS* Pay to Win.
    Ill be honest so am I. I figured they would cancel it this year because of all the cost cutting. Maybe they are just going to end it this year and try to end it on a high note
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    or you know, maybe the decline isn't nearly as bad as your feelcraft think it is, ever considered that ?
    Blizzard has actual numbers, you have speculations
    Blizz has numbers they no longer publish... the ONLY reason to do so is that they are declining... and in a bad way.

Feel craft is when you log in... see 3 people and none are form your server. You go to a main city and see several people from 7-8 different servers.

It's a fake MMO.